THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Jeez, wash and wax that propane tank

I own my tank so it gets a nice carnuba wax once a year. I've resisted putting a giant GTO decal on it, or painting it Verdora Green

It’s on a cement pad with white pine trees towering over it, kinda hard keeping it clean. It’s always shady there so the green stuff grows on it constantly. We do clean it once a year, just didn’t get to it yet. . Yeah we don’t own ours, and will be soon changing propane Co.’s

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 10-11-2019, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For those who backfeed their systems with suicide cords (and there's a reason they call them that), hopefully you don't have to hook up the generator at 3am some night and forget to open the main breaker...it's not all that expensive to put in a transfer switch or interlock so you can do it safely and correctly.

I'm an electrical engineer who designs backup power systems, so this is sort of a hot button for me.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are instructions for installing and using an interlock. One of many out there. The sequence the fellow has for switching the power over either way is good.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Eas...-Home-Hook-Up/

Old 10-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn. As an electrician I'm somewhat horrified by some of the comments in this thread. Jesus people, do it right or risk hurting/killing someone or burning your house down. It really isn't that hard or expensive....

The article 61-63 posted just above looks like a great solution if you have a panel that you can get one of those kits for and you have room in the panel. I'd want more than a 30A backup though, but whatever your generator can support is the way to go.

A manual transfer switch is also pretty easy to wire into most houses and isn't terribly expensive or difficult to install.

DO NOT backfeed one of your 120V receptacles. A 15A receptacle and it's associated wiring and breaker in your panel are NOT rated for that kind of load/use.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have a smaller generator that we use when the power goes out, which is increasing in frequency lately. The temptation was there to create the suicide cord, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So what I did was change all of the hardwired 120v things around the house, like the hot water heater and the furnace, (which are fuelled by natural gas, but need 120v to operate them) to a receptacle with a plug. So I can just unplug them from the dead receptacle and plug in to a cord from the genny as needed. I'm always considering a larger unit, but they use more fuel and I don't need to light up the whole house.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a generator,actually 2-1000 Honda and a 5000 Kohler. I just use on the furnace. I have plug on mine also right at furnace. Putting in new 200 amp panel,going to put in provision for generator. I would never want to back feed,never.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
The article 61-63 posted just above looks like a great solution if you have a panel that you can get one of those kits for and you have room in the panel.
The panel interlock kits work well, but as mentioned they may not be available for all brands and types of panel boards (especially if you an old one). Also note they may not be allowed in some locations, so check with your local authorities first before buying one.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend of mine who lives in the boonies installed one of these meter base transfer switches. There's a company that specializes in supplying and installing them in his area, and apparently they are quite popular. I asked him how well it works but he told me that he hasn't had a power outage since installing it so he doesn't know yet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GenerLin...23-N/301961623

Old 10-11-2019, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Damn. As an electrician I'm somewhat horrified by some of the comments in this thread. Jesus people, do it right or risk hurting/killing someone or burning your house down. It really isn't that hard or expensive....

The article 61-63 posted just above looks like a great solution if you have a panel that you can get one of those kits for and you have room in the panel. I'd want more than a 30A backup though, but whatever your generator can support is the way to go.

A manual transfer switch is also pretty easy to wire into most houses and isn't terribly expensive or difficult to install.

DO NOT backfeed one of your 120V receptacles. A 15A receptacle and it's associated wiring and breaker in your panel are NOT rated for that kind of load/use.
Will, here’s a question: my circuit breaker panel and my meter box are 20 feet apart. Would it be possible to wire the transfer switch direct into the main 200amp breaker?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-11-2019, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Will, here’s a question: my circuit breaker panel and my meter box are 20 feet apart. Would it be possible to wire the transfer switch direct into the main 200amp breaker?
A 200amp manual transfer switch can be put in the circuit anywhere in between the meter and the main breaker.

Edited to add: Note that for a hard wired generator connected to the main breaker, it should be sized to handle the entire load of the house. Often, a better choice is to add a supanel and then move essential circuits (like a well pump, furnace, refrigerator, and selected lights and outlets) to that subpanel. Then, connect to it with the generator and transfer switch. This way the generator and transfer switch can be smaller and less expensive.

Below are some crude one line diagrams showing the two methods described. (a one line diagram is just a simplified way to show the general wiring - you'll actually have two switched hot legs, plus the neutral and ground connections. Also, both diagrams assume the generator has an integral circuit breaker for its output.)

A transfer switch and generator connected to run the entire house:

A subpanel, transfer switch and generator connected to only run essential loads:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	522011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	522012  

Last edited by Stuart; 10-11-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
A 200amp manual transfer switch can be put in the circuit anywhere in between the meter and the main breaker.

Edited to add: Note that for a hard wired generator connected to the main breaker, it should be sized to handle the entire load of the house. Often, a better choice is to add a supanel and then move essential circuits (like a well pump, furnace, refrigerator, and selected lights and outlets) to that subpanel. Then, connect to it with the generator and transfer switch. This way the generator and transfer switch can be smaller and less expensive.

Below are some crude one line diagrams showing the two methods described. (a one line diagram is just a simplified way to show the general wiring - you'll actually have two switched hot legs, plus the neutral and ground connections. Also, both diagrams assume the generator has an integral circuit breaker for its output.)

A transfer switch and generator connected to run the entire house:

A subpanel, transfer switch and generator connected to only run essential loads:
Thanks, Stuart. When we moved by from FL, we decided to install a whole house standby generator by some of my health issues have take precedence. This is something we’ll be looking at after the first of the year.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-11-2019, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
A friend of mine who lives in the boonies installed one of these meter base transfer switches. There's a company that specializes in supplying and installing them in his area, and apparently they are quite popular. I asked him how well it works but he told me that he hasn't had a power outage since installing it so he doesn't know yet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GenerLin...23-N/301961623
That's the very best reason to get the proper generator and have it properly installed....to not need it.

Living in Oklahoma, you'd think power outages would be scarce.....oh noooo.
Stupid ice storms can be as bad as other types of weather...
I bought a slightly used 5500 portable Genererator from my good buddy fellow Pontiac enthusiast two years ago....have not needed it once!
I have 2 long extension cords, one for the fridge and one for the furnace. That's all i need, and it's safe. Have gas water heater...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 10-12-2019, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I asked him how well it works but he told me that he hasn't had a power outage since installing it so he doesn't know yet.
Your friend would be wise to run his generator every so often anyway, just to keep it exercised and to make sure it will be ready to go when he does need it.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I live in a mountainous area that sees a LOT of dead of winter power outages. I absolutely love my utility guys that come out in 20 degree snow storms and get my power back on ... I really, really don't want to ever electrocute of them. All it takes is one person forgetting to flip that main breaker before powering up.

Nice properly installed transfer switch is the way to go.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a portable 17,500 watt Generac with the subpanel setup, and a 50 amp cord and outlet. The whole setup came as a package from Generac. The house has geothermal, so i have that and all of the essentials on the subpanel. I just wheel the generator outside the garage door, plug it in and fire it up. No natural gas available here, and i didn't want to install a propane tank just for the generator, so that's what i ended up doing. Generator has a 16 gallon gas tank, at about a gallon an hour. It works very well if i'm home to use it.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Jeez, wash and wax that propane tank
Propane tanks should be buried so as not to be a visual monstrosity.

We've done that at our last two homes that didn't have natural gas available.

It requires a special tank with a sacrificial anode, but it sure cleans up your landscape.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 20KW Generac fueled by natural gas. Within a couple months of installing it the June 29, 2012 Derecho hit and it ran for 10 straight days. A few years later a wet December snow storm hit and it ran for 7 straight days. I’ll never have a house without a backup system and have been extremely pleased with the Generac system.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
I have a 20KW Generac fueled by natural gas. Within a couple months of installing it the June 29, 2012 Derecho hit and it ran for 10 straight days. A few years later a wet December snow storm hit and it ran for 7 straight days. I’ll never have a house without a backup system and have been extremely pleased with the Generac system.
What, no coal fired generator? LOL.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
For those who backfeed their systems with suicide cords (and there's a reason they call them that), hopefully you don't have to hook up the generator at 3am some night and forget to open the main breaker...it's not all that expensive to put in a transfer switch or interlock so you can do it safely and correctly.

I'm an electrical engineer who designs backup power systems, so this is sort of a hot button for me.
Quote:

As one of the suicide cord fans, I appreciate the guidance and feed back. As I pointed out I’ve never had to use it. If I did I would shed all the load on the panel by opening all the breakers but the two or three I would need to keep the house warm and the fridge and freezer cold, not just the main breaker.

The point about the one 120V circuit having to carry the full load of all three circuits is a good one. I do have a 60 amp sub panel in the garage with a 40 amp outlet. I could move the three important circuits to the same side of the main panel as the 60 amp garage feed with the generator plugged into the 40amp outlet.

But in 27 years at same home and 10 more a few blocks away we have never lost power for more than a few hours, so I’m not sure if I would ever use it.

I am far more interested in the full solar option I mentioned in my first post, I’d rather spend money on a back up system that paid me back over the long run. Of course it’s not a perfect solution, lots of issues, primarily the very low power output in Winter where I live. This nessitates an overly large system to generate extra in the Summer and store up credit to carry though Winter. Then for back up use there is the large battery requirement to carry the overnight usage. So maybe it’s not really an option?

Old 10-12-2019, 11:35 AM
Suspended

20kw Briggs standby here.. installed 10 years ago.. great generator.