THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cancer surgery: round two

Just got home from the hospital. The surgery went well. There is no evidence of cancer in the left lobe of my thyroid, but confirmation (biopsy report) won’t be back for two weeks. It seems to hurt more this time. Throat is raw from the endotrach tube, so Sandy will have peace and quiet for the next few days. Man, it HURTS to cough!!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-11-2019, 04:06 PM

Good! On the surgery going well, and Awesome no Cancer detected, take it easy and let everyone take care of you. Sorry your throat hurts, lots and lots of milkshakes and smoothies! yum!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 10-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, MA. Considering the history and occurrence of cancer in my mom’s family I was a little concerned. The doc said IF any abnormal cells were detected I would have to submit to radioactive iodine(I-131) for several weeks: OH, JOY!!!! Right now, the thing driving me nuts is NOT being able to cough up all the $&%# in my throat. It HURTS! I’m not wimp when it comes to pain( four major back surgeries), but I don’t remember it hurting like this last time.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-11-2019, 05:05 PM

My thoughts are with you, I know what Cancer is all about, and it’s never anything good! I hope you don’t have to do the iodine treatment let’s keep the faith. anything with the mouth or throat always seems to hurt a lot, after all there’s no getting away from swallowing. Are you allowed to use throat sprays to numb it? Try drinking a few Ensure shakes for a few days. I like to freeze mine just a bit like a slushy, chocolate and strawberry are the best, plus the nutrients you need are in them. hang in there take some tylonel.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 10-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Just got home from the hospital. The surgery went well. There is no evidence of cancer in the left lobe of my thyroid, but confirmation (biopsy report) won’t be back for two weeks. It seems to hurt more this time. Throat is raw from the endotrach tube, so Sandy will have peace and quiet for the next few days. Man, it HURTS to cough!!
Good to hear

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can go to your local emergency department, and ask nicely for some lidogel. Mix 3 or 4 :1 with warm water, goggle mildly and spit out. I've used it for years before ET or NG tube insertion

Old 10-11-2019, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WarDog View Post
You can go to your local emergency department, and ask nicely for some lidogel. Mix 3 or 4 :1 with warm water, goggle mildly and spit out. I've used it for years before ET or NG tube insertion
Thanks for the info!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been through 3 cancer surgeries, so I literally feel your pain.

Surprised it takes 2 weeks to get the biopsy results. At the Mayo Clinic (where I had all three surgeries), I always had the results within 24 hours.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Champ, a lot of factors go in to determine when biopsies are completed., not so much where.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:33 PM

When I would get bone marrow biopsy’s, it took 2 weeks to get results, a lot of these tests aren’t checked where you get them done. I know mine were sent out to a speciality Lab. And I was in one of the biggest Cancer hospitals in my state, University Of Pennsylvania.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 10-11-2019, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thinking of you, hope you get well quick.

TOM
Old 10-11-2019, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Been through 3 cancer surgeries, so I literally feel your pain.

Surprised it takes 2 weeks to get the biopsy results. At the Mayo Clinic (where I had all three surgeries), I always had the results within 24 hours.
Cancer biopsies on healthy tissue require a different protocol. The left lobe will have to be totally sectioned as opposed to sectioning of the suspected area. The standard of practice for stage one and stage two follicular thyroid cancer is to remove the lobe affected by the cancer, then either remove the opposite lobe or do monthly, follow up thin needle aerations for the next five years. In my case( left lobe was totally hypoactive anyway) I elected to have the left lobe removed. As long as the biopsy comes back negative I’ll only have to be concerned with a PET scan once a year for five year. It’s been quite eye opening for me. I had no idea that stage three through stage five thyroid cancers have incredibly short survival rates. In the case of a anaplastic thyroid cancer it is measured in months if not in weeks.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Prayers for a clean report.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Senior Chief

I'll put you on the prayer list for good results. My bladder cancer has been in remission for six months. Prayers are always good. Keep the faith.
Kerm

Old 10-12-2019, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hoping for the best!

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 10-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Prayers for a clean report.
Thanks, David

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltbuster View Post
I'll put you on the prayer list for good results. My bladder cancer has been in remission for six months. Prayers are always good. Keep the faith.
Kerm
Appreciate the prayers, Kerm

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-12-2019, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Havnt been online for long time.
Catching up.

Count me in too hh62.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Glad it went well