Old 05-06-2020, 04:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Drive Shaft restoration

I've stripped and cleaned the 68 GTO driveshaft, checked it for run-out .. about .025" (bend run-out, not yoke run-out). No cracks, dent's etc.

Just to be sure ... the short narrowed neck goes toward the trans and the long narrowed section toward the rear correct?

What paint are you guys using?

Anything special I should know about installation? I noticed the assembly manual said in hard to read text what appeared to be .... mark the "light" side of the shaft and put that mark on the side of the yoke with most run-out. (diff end).

There is still a small weight attached ... not sure if that would be the light or heavy side.

Below my usual pictures of obscure markings.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DriveShaft-Stamp-1.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	539310   Click image for larger version

Name:	DriveShaft-Stamp-2.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	539311  

Old 05-06-2020, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That scale rust can be scraped, then wire-brush to rea-attain blend.

I used Clearcoat! Semi-gloss. Also did re-add the color stripes back on 1 or 2 driveshafts, but only if you know for sure.

Keep ujoint bores clear o paint, petrol jelly them after paint.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a 'before' shot of my driveshaft. Paint strips were still very visible. Sanded it down and repainted the stripes. Used Rust-Oleum 'Rust Inhibitor' for coating and stored it in a sealed bag. No after pictures though.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1a75.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	539321   Click image for larger version

Name:	C490lJFdR5OPV4zLSi1ZgQ.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	539323  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 05-06-2020, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I should shoot for a bare metal look.

Looks like I use 1 red band, 2 whites. (TH400)

What's the deal with the alignment marks? Should I still be able to find them on my original driveshaft and yokes?

The short narrow neck goes toward the trans?

Old 05-06-2020, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope so.

I couldn't find any alignment marks. Faded away in the last 52 years. And the mark on the axle input is gone too.
When the time comes I'm taking mine down to be checked and balanced.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1a76.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	539356  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 07:58 PM
Senior Chief

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...94#post6074594

Here’s a thread from last year with some info on drive shaft markings. I cleaned mine up on the wire wheel and then sprayed with Seymour’s Stainless Steel paint before adding the stripes.

68 GTO convertible
YS M40, A/C, PS, PB-disc, Posi-T, PW, P-seat, AM-FM stereo 8-track,
P-ant, P-trunk lid, Tilt-S, Rally gauges, Hideaways
C1 224 Triple white
The Following User Says Thank You to kk68 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 10:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you want it to look correct don’t sand it. I used a 6” PVC pipe capped on one end and a threaded cap on the other. Degrease it drop it in and add Evaporust and cap it up. Next day take it out and use a scotchbrite pad to clean the loosened rust rinse it off and put it back in the tube. In a couple evenings it will look tremendously better and may only need polished with some 0000 steel wool. Use either Gibbs or RPM magic to keep it from flash rusting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SR-71 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 04:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The sanding boat has sailed already And you are correct, not the right finish. I could wire wheel the whole thing and that would take it back to a natural metal look somewhat.

Too bad it won't fit in my cabinet ... fine glass bead would get it looking natural again, then maybe pickle it in some mild acid to darken it up.

I'm guessing I would indicate off the bearing caps to determine run-out at the yokes?

I'm using the original driveshaft, original trans and rear end .... never vibrated in the past so I assume there are no major problems, but it would be nice to have it clocked the way it came from the factory.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
If you want it to look correct don’t sand it. I used a 6” PVC pipe capped on one end and a threaded cap on the other. Degrease it drop it in and add Evaporust and cap it up. Next day take it out and use a scotchbrite pad to clean the loosened rust rinse it off and put it back in the tube. In a couple evenings it will look tremendously better and may only need polished with some 0000 steel wool. Use either Gibbs or RPM magic to keep it from flash rusting.
Great idea, but how much of the Evaporust did it take to fill that pipe!?!?!

Old 05-07-2020, 08:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My fault it was a 4" piece of schedule 40 I used. I don't think it took the whole gallon since the driveshaft takes up nearly the whole inside of PVC pipe. Here's a before when I degreased it and after a couple days in the evaporust.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_5640.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	539576   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5758.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	539577  

Last edited by SR-71; 05-07-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep PVC is what I use for driveshafts, and fill with evaporust. Usually takes right at a gallon to fill.

If monitored carefully it'll bring back the stripes that weren't visible before due to the surface rust.

Here's one I did on one of the cars here. No stripes visible before treatment but after a day of monitoring they began to appear. Just have to be careful rinsing as it does make the paint "soft" so I let it dry a day after a light rinse and they harden right back up. Great way to restore or preserve a driveshaft as it retains it's proper color, and also retains the blueing from the welding process. Although there are ways to duplicate that too if you've already sandblasted or sanded the shaft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	69Z driveshaft (6).jpg
Views:	272
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	539582  

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 05-08-2020, 01:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta love that stuff ... and seems like the prices have come down a little in the last couple of years.

Unfortunately I painted my driveshaft many years ago ... with good paint, brown for some reason.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the crap out of it. I have several 1 gallon jugs and then dad went and bought a 5 gallon bucket of it lol

I poor it back into the containers, it's usually good for 4-5 uses depending on how big the project is, before it becomes diluted to the point it doesn't work anymore. The weaker stuff works good on driveshafts like I did above because it's not too aggressive to completely remove the paint marks.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 05-08-2020, 01:39 PM

Had my driveshaft fine glass beaded and clear powdercoated a few years ago. Someone had painted it back throughout the years and wasn't able to find the stripes originally put on. After it was clear powdercoated, I taped up the areas I was going to put the stripes on and lightly scuffed them with a green scotch bright pad. Taped everything off again and rattle canned each of the stripes back on. Paint and powdercoating are still holding up after about 5 years of driving. I'll have to see if I still have a few pics of when I first did it. Four speed with white, green, and yellow stripes. Can't remember exactly where I got the measurements for the placement and width of the stripes, but it was throughout a few of the older posts here on the forum.

1987 Pontiac Grand Prix - Sage/Sage/Sage - GM 305/Th200-4r

2004 Pontiac GTO - IBM over Black - LSx 440/6-speed/4.10 SRA - Single Digit Stick Shift
Old 05-13-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
My fault it was a 4" piece of schedule 40 I used. I don't think it took the whole gallon since the driveshaft takes up nearly the whole inside of PVC pipe. Here's a before when I degreased it and after a couple days in the evaporust.
Does CLR do same thing as Evaporust?

1968 GTO Convertable
2bbl 265hp
Old 05-13-2020, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

CLR is acid based ... should do about the same thing, and a bit quicker. OK for a driveshaft but there are other things you wouldn't want to use it on as it's much harsher than Evaporust.

For that matter, even cheaper would be to get a gallon of muriatic acid and mix it about 10:1 with water. But that stuff can be dangerous in it's pure form. Easy to get at Home Depot etc.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
CLR is acid based ... should do about the same thing, and a bit quicker. OK for a driveshaft but there are other things you wouldn't want to use it on as it's much harsher than Evaporust.

For that matter, even cheaper would be to get a gallon of muriatic acid and mix it about 10:1 with water. But that stuff can be dangerous in it's pure form. Easy to get at Home Depot etc.
Thank You

1968 GTO Convertable
2bbl 265hp
Old 05-14-2020, 04:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would be concerned using an acid based product in case for some reason there’s a pin hole in a weld allowing the CLP to get inside the tube and you have no way to flush it out.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I would be concerned using an acid based product in case for some reason there’s a pin hole in a weld allowing the CLP to get inside the tube and you have no way to flush it out.
Good point, I'll check out all seams prior to cleaning.

1968 GTO Convertable
2bbl 265hp
Old 05-14-2020, 04:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is there a reason why you don’t want to use Evaporust? I’ve used almost every product to remove rust and this is the safest best working product I’ve found.