Old 08-18-2020, 07:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Converting a '69 GTO to Ram Air with a kit for a '68?

I searched for info on doing this but didn't come up with anything. I have a deal on a '69 GTO convertible project car that is an all original matching number car. I will be restoring it myself. It has factory A/C, AT, PDB, PS, Console, and Rally II wheels. (I do not have the car in my possession yet.) I intend to keep it mostly original and anywhere that I don't, I will retain all the factory parts so the car could be put back to totally original if desired.

I am going to go with MPFI and think the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 system is what I will do. I wish the car had the Ram Air option but it does not.
The reason I'm thinking it makes more sense to me to go with '68 Ram Air is that to me it looks better, is simpler and less expensive. Plus, I'd never try to pass the car off as ever having Ram Air from the factory and I would never take it to have it judged as original. I only will do some Car's and Coffee and other informal local shows. I think it would be rare for me to even be asked about it at a show and if I were, I'd explain just like I am here.
Anyway that's my reasoning for considering going this way.

Now for my questions.
Anybody see any fitment problems doing what I have planned? From what I've been able to read, the hoods are the same for the 2 years so I'm thinking the '68 style hood pan would fit. What's involved with fitting the hood pan to the hood? Is much cutting involved? What about being restored to original? Is that possible if anything that needs to be cut out is saved and stored?

Old 08-18-2020, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Numerous guys have used the simpler/cheaper 68 system on a 69.
no probo with that.

No idea about fuel injection mounting on lower pan.

On the upper pan - i don't think its absolutely mandatory to cut a relief in the reinforcement frame work like the factory did. But if so, its not much to trim off.

Very little performance gain on the 68-70 RamAir Induction.
Mostly cool factor

Dual Snorkel stock 69 breather works well and looks great, if the car comes with it.
Good Luck on getting the car

Old 08-18-2020, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you won't have to cut the hood at all for the 68 pan, the relief cut is for mounting the 69 door flapper and you won't have that with the 68 setup. One thing you MAY have to cut is if you've got an early revision of a 68 hood that has bracing that comes down the back side of the hood scoops. (so if you open your scoop, you'd see a 2" wide flap of metal in the way) That was only on the earlier 68 hood scoops that had the third mounting stud used. Here's a picture with one of those with the bracket area that went to the upper hood scoop area cut out. Since it's a 69, if it has the original hood or any late 68-70 hood on it, this won't be an issue either for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P0008454.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	547491  

Last edited by gto4evr; 08-18-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Numerous guys have used the simpler/cheaper 68 system on a 69. no probo with that.
No idea about fuel injection mounting on lower pan.
On the upper pan - i don't think its absolutely mandatory to cut a relief in the reinforcement frame work like the factory did. But if so, its not much to trim off.

Very little performance gain on the 68-70 RamAir Induction.
Mostly cool factor
Dual Snorkel stock 69 breather works well and looks great, if the car comes with it.
Good Luck on getting the car
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to my trip to AZ come mid October. I'm dropping off another one of my finished projects to a buyer and Tucson and I'm going to rent a truck and trailer there to go pick up the GTO.

Yeah, I figured the Ram Air didn't add any performance with forced air. But it will be beneficial to have a cold air intake for the MPFI. #2 in this article explains that pretty well:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp...-efi-mistakes/

Don't know what I'll run into fitting the carb pan. Could be a height difference too. Looking at the photo of the Pro-Flow 4, I don't think any issues will be hard to deal with.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
you won't have to cut the hood at all for the 68 pan, the relief cut is for mounting the 69 door flapper and you won't have that with the 68 setup. One thing you MAY have to cut is if you've got an early revision of a 68 hood that has bracing that comes down the back side of the hood scoops. (so if you open your scoop, you'd see a 2" wide flap of metal in the way) That was only on the earlier 68 hood scoops that had the third mounting stud used. Here's a picture with one of those with the bracket area that went to the upper hood scoop area cut out. Since it's a 69, if it has the original hood or any late 68-70 hood on it, this won't be an issue either for you.
Sorry for all the duplicate posts I made. Excuse me for being new. I don't know how it happened and I had to ask a moderator to delete them for me.

This is good news to me. Sounds like I won't have to cut anything. I'm pretty sure it's an original hood on the car.

Another question.
Would it make sense for me to consider the cheaper fiberglass version of the '68 hood pan? Not original looking but that doesn't matter to me if the part fits decently.

Here's the car as it sits now in the seller's garage:

Old 08-19-2020, 12:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I dont see any way to fit the upper baffle without cutting the hood braces. And, the 68 hood is different than 69 but the 68 set up should work on a 69 hood anyway. I am pretty sure I posted the step by step process on here. Maybe you can search for it.

I have my original hood still. It is a little kinked at the crash relief on the left side but not rusty or anything. I am in AZ if you are interested. It is the original hood from my 68 Ram Air II. Has the hole cut for the hood tach though....

Old 08-19-2020, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurelyGTO68 View Post
I dont see any way to fit the upper baffle without cutting the hood braces. And, the 68 hood is different than 69 but the 68 set up should work on a 69 hood anyway. I am pretty sure I posted the step by step process on here. Maybe you can search for it.

I have my original hood still. It is a little kinked at the crash relief on the left side but not rusty or anything. I am in AZ if you are interested. It is the original hood from my 68 Ram Air II. Has the hole cut for the hood tach though....
??? the upper baffle on a 68 setup is flat. it bolts across the top of the braces, there's nothing to cut. You also only need to drill a few of the mounting holes because many of them line up in the holes for mounting the hood insulation on a non RA car. There's a foam seal that goes between the upper pan and the hood that takes up all the air gaps. There's no cutting involved in mounting a 68 pan to any 68-70 hood. The only reason hood bracing would need to be cut is to mount a 69-70 pan with the heat deflectors and flapper assembly. It's recessed above the brace area and thats why the need for cuts.

Here are pics of the 69/70 setup and why it needs to be cut. 68 is a flat pan with no recesses therefore no brace cuts
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P0008479.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	547544   Click image for larger version

Name:	P0008481.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	547545   Click image for larger version

Name:	P0008482.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	547546  

Old 08-19-2020, 10:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 1968 upper pan is not flat. At least for an original part. The hood most definately must be cut.

Maybe the reproductions are flat?

Old 08-20-2020, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

okay, I misspoke about it being completely flat, but if you look at the slight recess it has, it fits completely within the bracing.

I just installed one of these on my friend's 68 last year and the only modification I had to make was drilling two holes. Of the 5 mounting holes, pretty sure the two rear ones and the front center one line up with the holes for the hood insulation retainers, and I had to drill two holes for the outer two at the front. He has an original hood on the car and I didn't have to cut anything (other than opening the scoops). I'm not here to argue so I'm done with my 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	68 hood pan.png
Views:	230
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	547587  

Old 08-20-2020, 01:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
okay, I misspoke about it being completely flat, but if you look at the slight recess it has, it fits completely within the bracing.

I just installed one of these on my friend's 68 last year and the only modification I had to make was drilling two holes. Of the 5 mounting holes, pretty sure the two rear ones and the front center one line up with the holes for the hood insulation retainers, and I had to drill two holes for the outer two at the front. He has an original hood on the car and I didn't have to cut anything (other than opening the scoops). I'm not here to argue so I'm done with my 2 cents.
I see now. That reproduction pan is not correct. The embossed portion goes up (into the hood). The reproduction pan has the embossed portion going down (into the engine compartment) which is not correct. I agree with you now.....no hood cutting required with the reproduction pan. It won't look factory correct but the OP isn't concerned about that in this case.

Here is what an original pan looks like. Photo is from my 68 RA II. The other photos show the area that needs to be cut away from the replacement hood.

Case solved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170911_071511934.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	547588   Click image for larger version

Name:	4911 trim line.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	547589   Click image for larger version

Name:	4912 hood trimmed.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	547590  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurelyGTO68 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 08:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm confused here.

The photos of the original and reproduction parts make them look exactly the same to me. The photos are taken upside down from each other.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
I'm confused here.

The photos of the original and reproduction parts make them look exactly the same to me. The photos are taken upside down from each other.
I agree, the pans look the same to me. the picture I posted from the catalog is from the top, and the picture of that original on the hood is from the bottom

is it possible Purely that you just have the pan mounted too far forward therefore requiring the cut? did the 3 holes I referred to line up with the hood insulation holes?

My friend should have his car at the cruise tonight for me to check. I'll get some pictures. Not sure where he got the pan from. it's made of metal but I don't know if there's more than one supplier of the repops. I don't think he got it from Ames or PP.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did this to my '68 five years ago. If you actually want it functional, you should cut the hood bracing. There is a thread on it somewhere in the archives. I'll find it.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The pans are correct. Picture is a factory pan next to a reproduction.

The factory had the dealer cut the front hood bracing usually quick and rough.
(Had one original owner tell me that he was so pissed about the way they cut it, he tried to refuse the car unless they cleaned it up and repaint the bottom of the hood)

Does it have to - no.
However, without cutting it, the gasket will not sit flat all around and the pan will hit
the front bracing. You may have to trim the front section of the gasket.

the hood cut picture is Boss’s of his old RAI. It still shows the outline of the pan and gasket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7293.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	547608   Click image for larger version

Name:	68 hood cut.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	547609  

Old 08-20-2020, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is my setup in the '68. If you want it to seal properly, you have to make a few cuts. I did mine with the hood still on the car. Test fitted a few times, laid masking tape where I needed to make marks and cut along my marks on the masking tape...all of my pics from my thread on this got lost in the photobucket picture hostage crisis....
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=68+ram+air

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0570.JPG
Views:	1563
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	547611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	547612  

Last edited by Greg Reid; 08-20-2020 at 12:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Another question.
Would it make sense for me to consider the cheaper fiberglass version of the '68 hood pan? Not original looking but that doesn't matter to me if the part fits decently.
If the price is substantial. I haven't seen the prices in a long time.
Since you just need cold air induction for MPFI mainly , the fiberglass pans seem like a good option.

For a heads up on the hood scoops -
it used to be said that the metal repop scoops will only fit properly on a repop hood.
Not good fits to original hoods.

The fiberglass R/A scoops fit well with original hoods, but you have to have the 69-70 flapper assembly to mount those scoops.
**except maybe epoxy or attachment tape

Factory 68 R/A cars were shipped with "base equipment" breathers installed.
Owners were advised to swap back to the base equipment breathers during weather conditions.
So i guess a real savvy owner would keep a breather boxed up in the trunk for rainy days.
If you plug off the open scoops with a sponge or foam rubber inserts, without swapping lower pans - the 68 system has no way to get any air.

69-70 had provision for underhood air when scoops closed.
Thats part of why that system is so complex.

just heads-up info

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 08-20-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Here is my setup in the '68.
Off subject Greg - but love the color and look of your car

Old 08-20-2020, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While it may be true that the '68/'69 scoops don't truly 'ram' cold air into the intake, if it's sealed properly, it's still going to force the carb to take all air from outside...so it's at least a 'cold' air induction system. I think it's worth the price of admission myself..
Found the pics of the cuts I made...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	547615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg
Views:	1027
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	547616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0568.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	547617  

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians View Post
Off subject Greg - but love the color and look of your car

Thanks Brian...and thanks again for the superb RA parts used on my car.
One more..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0569.jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	547618  

Last edited by Greg Reid; 08-20-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians View Post
The pans are correct. Picture is a factory pan next to a reproduction.

The factory had the dealer cut the front hood bracing usually quick and rough.
(Had one original owner tell me that he was so pissed about the way they cut it, he tried to refuse the car unless they cleaned it up and repaint the bottom of the hood)

Does it have to - no.
However, without cutting it, the gasket will not sit flat all around and the pan will hit
the front bracing. You may have to trim the front section of the gasket.

the hood cut picture is Boss’s of his old RAI. It still shows the outline of the pan and gasket.
okay, that makes sense, I DO remember not being happy at all with the foam fitment. Some of it kept wanting to sneak in front of the scoop openings and I had to keep screwing with it to get it out of sight through the scoops. I can see how cutting that brace out would give the seal more room to stand up rather than squish over.

as far as the original back in the day, I'd read somewhere that the factory shipped an extra set of cut out scoops in the trunk along with the lower pan to be installed by the dealer, but not the bracing cutting half of that story where they'd have to install the upper pan as well.

Well, as for the OP, you can mount it without cutting, (and make it easier by trimming the foam apparently). My friend would have never wanted it installed if it required cutting on his hood, I better not mention this to him! Thanks for all the info guys!