Old 09-20-2020, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are my picts from last year. Anyway to get a date idea on these? Anything on the stickers that could give a clue to their age?

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 09-20-2020, 05:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I received PurleyGTO68's decal & compared it to the NOS one I installed on my car last fall. Its quite impressively similar in many ways.

In size, it measures the same overall in height & width. could be slightly different, but we would be talking under a 32nd of an inch if anything at all.
The width of the outlines also seem to be the same & vary from thin to thicker in the same places on each letter with the same serif's on the corners.

Differences are very subtle. The most noticeable is the "T" on the repro is narrower as well as the center of the "O" Original measures 2-1/2" across & the repro is a smidge narrower at 2-7/16" that is probably the only thing that can be visually seen when looking at them & part of that could be placebo effect, But they would never be side by side on a car, so nobody is going to see this difference or know it unless they actually measure it. The center of the "O" is also 1/16" smaller, but can not be visually noticed like the "T" The "G" I could not find a difference at all.

The Original material is a bit thicker, but its not much, & again not something someone would ever notice. When I installed my NOS decals, I did notice the adhesive side of the decals were gray in color. I have no idea why, or if that is just part of the adhesive systems from back then?

The Color: Interestingly, the color is very, very close to the same. This is where I was expecting a big difference & there just is not. the original is a tiny bit more to the ivory side, but boy it is not much at all. In fact if somebody asked me what color the decals are I would just call them white & questioned the cameo ivory that they are listed as.

Playing the devil advocate on the color though, I do think these decals could get a little darker over time & exposed to UV rays? Its also extremely possible they changed from GM as the replacement parts at the dealer after 1968 might have changed? That would not surprise me too much. We have all seen that. My NOS decals were very old though. so much so that the glue that held the flaps closed on the sleeves had tried up completely. I was really worried they would be garbage & not stick to the car, but they worked out just fine. A lot of the adhesive from the transfer tape did stay on the surface of the decals one installed & I had to use mineral sprits on a cuetip to get it off. otherwise I was more than happy with them.

Thats my report, to the best I can describe them

Thanks for the report. So, I guess my hunt for NOS decals is over. Thanks! I can see a very slight color difference but geez....only when seen next to each other. So close in fact that it might just be a sheen difference. So, I bought them from Phoenix Graphix. I had to call them because I didnt see them listed on their website. They ship with three decals and a squeegee. Was about $29 I think.....

I want to correct a few things in the engine compartment. The crankcase breather tube should be black. Does anyone know if that is painted or black phosphate? I am guessing the black phosphate would appear more correct so I was going to try that first and then could paint it if it didnt look right. ??

Old 09-20-2020, 05:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68pongto View Post
While we're here on the topic of Gardner exhaust systems, I plan on running them on my Ram Air cars. The Ram Air I is a 4-speed car, so I know that should be pretty straight forward. But the Ram Air II is an automatic. Does anyone know if a RA II automatic car would have still used the tuner pipe on the rear tailpipes?
Appears so. Looks like the tuner pipes appeared on all automatic GTOs in 68. Only the header pipes and flanges are unique to HO/RA. The rest of the exhaust appears to be determined by the transmission. Check the attached pics of the MPC and see if I am reading it correctly...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200920_145346.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	550003   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200920_145308.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	550004  

Old 10-02-2020, 12:32 AM
Senior Chief

Well I went a different direction or should I say the choice was made for me. When I got my RA II car it was a former Pure Stock racer and had a 3" Pypes system on it. Fits nice, sounds great and like brand new. I don't plan on replacing it right away unless I have issues connecting headpipes to original RA II exhaust manifolds I found. Car currently has reproduction 2.5" manifolds on it now. Some quick measurements seems to indicate the original manifolds will mate to the flanges on the Pypes headpipes and seal correctly.

BTW i owned a 69 GTO 400 4 speed car with A/C 3.23 posi and manual drum brakes in late 70's. Car did have power steering and you had to get used to the brakes. I went from a 75 Trans Am with power disc brakes to the GTO. This RA II has power front disc brakes and stops nicely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001 (48).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	550727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	550729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1221.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	550730  

Last edited by Mcronk; 10-02-2020 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

McRonk, that’s a complete 2.5 system I put it on your car. The new manifolds you got should bolt right up.

Old 10-02-2020, 02:00 PM
Senior Chief

Yep. It was late last night when i posted. The 3" inch Pypes System is on the 68 Tempest sitting next to the GTO. Got them mixed up. Thanks for claification.

Might reach out to you for some info on car. I got the WY block from Rick. Currently changing out master cylinder for correct 68 version and hooking up back up light harness and switch. Replaced shifter with correct one that has provision for switch. Making progress on getting car more correct. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0976.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	550742   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	550743  

Old 10-02-2020, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I really like that Tempest looks real nice underneath.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:56 PM
Senior Chief

To the OP sorry for the hijack. Just sharing a couple of pics of my 68 Tempest Custom that has a Pypes exhaust system on it.

Engine is 501 cubic inches. Original body, top, and interior colors. Video of car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a32DcVqSzic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	550782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9760.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	550783  

Old 10-12-2020, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PurelyGTO68, Did you get your decal back safely?
I Forgot all about following up with you on that.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 10-12-2020, 04:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
PurelyGTO68, Did you get your decal back safely?
I Forgot all about following up with you on that.
Yes. Thank you. I should have sent you a note to let you know. Thanks for sending it back. Will look nice on my toolbox.