Old 09-26-2020, 08:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Smoke issue part 2

Background: I had smoking coming from passenger side of motor. Took it to a mechanic and he ran a compression test to get a reading of 35lbs. The other three were 150,150,170.

The spark plug on the 35 lb low cylinder had raw gas on it and no signs of anything burning at all in that cylinder.

Then removes the valve cover to find a screw in stud backed off and the nut on rocker wasn’t tight so rocker was loose. He tightens it back up. And that cylinder goes up to 110. Plus it completely stopped smoking.

Now It’s not missing and runs good but somehow it’s still losing compression.

So I drove it yesterday 45 min drive and thought I’d check the compression now and see if any change but still 110.

Here’s the weird thing. When turning it over I could hear air coming out somewhere (maybe carb) from low cylinder. When checking the 150 lb next to it I couldn’t hear anything.

1. How can gas get on a spark plug but no oil, yet after tightening rocker for that cylinder the smoking stopped.

Shouldn’t that cylinder not be able to smoke if no oil? It smoked when rocker was loose then not at all tight.

Is it possible the valve spring isn’t pushing the valve all the way down so losing compression?