Old 08-21-2022, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Howards Direct Lube Solid Rollers Questions

I have a set of these Howards Cams solid roller lifters for the race car when I upgrade to a solid roller. Since these are direct lube lifters, I am assuming that I would NOT install restrictors in the lifter galleys and would instead use restricted pushrods?

https://www.howardscams.com/mechanic...rds-cams-91457

1980 Formula 350 Pontiac back burner project
1972 LeMans 350 Pontiac
Old 08-21-2022, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you talk to the camshaft/lifter manufacturers, none of them will recommend any restriction to their lifters. The maximum amount of oil that can be put in their lifters provide one less excuse when they fail one or more of them. But the reality is a Pontiac V-8 puts much, much more oil to the valvetrain than what is needed at the expense of adequate oil to the main and rod bearings. This is especially true in 3.25" crankshafts and high RPM's. Excessive lifter to bore clearance, excessive connecting rod side clearance, and bearing clearance make the situation worse. Lots and lots of opinions on proper oil pressure, 60 vs 80 lb. pump and lifter restrictions or pushrod restrictions. You will have to make your own decision of course. I can tell you I have never built a solid roller Pontiac engine with a larger than .045" restriction at each lifter bore or bushing. For high RPM race engines, over 7000 RPM, .030" is plenty large enough with an 80 lb. pump and 10W-30 oil. You would be amazed how much oil can find it's way through 16- .030" holes. The top end is flooded. Have been using pressure lubed axles for years, both needle and bushing style. I should mention I have not used the Howards lifters in a Pontiac, but have in other engine platforms. The Howards lifters I have used were all made by Morel. I have used Crane, Crower, and Comp lifters in the Pontiacs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 12:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just got restricted pushrods from Butler. I ordered the .030 and they called and said that they had .040 on the shelf and thats what they use. Its probably better to get full oil to the lifters an restrict to the top end.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Twister For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used .030 restrictors for 30+ years. Never hurt anything even on the street.

Old 08-21-2022, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My preference is to restrict them at the bores. I run those, they don’t have great oil metering inside them, restricted at the bores they still have plenty of oil to the axles.