THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My next follow up on this elbow is January 25th. Last Friday the therapist said she doubted I'd lose the brace even then. Last Friday they dialed in some motion (50 degrees?) into the brace and I can also lock the thing anywhere in that 50 degrees. I can't rotate my palm upward or do anything that might activate the bicep. Accidentally trying to turn the palm up is met with immediate knee buckling pain.

This morning, as I stood looking at the GTO's drive shaft laying on my work bench I decided I needed to get the car back on the road. Since nobody was there to bitch at me I got busy. I jacked the car up and put jack stands under the rear end. I discovered that getting down, under the car and back up, with one arm was tough as hell. Then I worked the amazingly heavy drive shaft under the car and up over the exhaust crossover. And into the TKO's rear seal. After figuring out how to get a little leverage on it I managed to lift it and wiggle it into place and into the pinion yoke. I had to lay there a little while afterwards. Then I one handed the hardware into place and figured out how to get the nuts tight without the shaft rotating. Happy, I dropped the car back down and climbed in. At that point I discovered that during my boo boo with the elbow, I had bent the damn steering wheel. I discovered that the elbow brace made good fulcrum and I bent the wheel back straight. (T/A wheel....kinda flimsy).

Then my one armed ass went for a ride.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 01-13-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That thing-a-magig looks like it could be used as a motor hoist !! Getting old sucks but it sure beats the hell out of the alternative.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
After taking a quick glance I thought you had become the 6 Million Dollar Man's new little buddy.

I hope all goes well David, and you have a somewhat painless recovery. That had to hurt like hell. If you're right-handed, it's a good thing it wasn't the arm you need to most.
I was thinking the same thing, Hope you will get well soon MR Jones.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

David,

Sounds like you're making good progress. Physical therapy sucks, but it helps you get back to near normal. Yeah, handling a driveshaft one-handed ISN'T easy!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good job David!! Where this a will there's a way...Think I heard that someplace..
Bet shifting gears was fun..but I'm sure it felt good to accomplish something..that you wanted..That's a feat with one arm!!
Hope you get ALL your arm back and heal up soon..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Troy, shifting gears required the use of either the fingers on the bad hand or the insides of one of my legs to hold the wheel straight while the right hand stirred the shifter.

...and it felt good. I decided that staying out of the 4 barrel was a reasonable thing to do.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Suspended

Great update and inspiring "put my Pontiac back together to drive-it is my best therapy" story.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Also: Serious Idea to limit the pain during your healing have you considered Accupuncture? My wife goes to a certified and state licensed Accupuncture Dr. about once a year that solves her pain issues w/o having to use "muscle relaxers" or other heavy meds.

Not meant as preaching, just a suggestion to aid in your speedy recovery.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Then my one armed ass went for a ride.
This makes me smile!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
This makes me smile!
Made me smile 2. Thought of that Dr. Strangelove scene "Holding On To A Missle With One Hand"

Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good Luck on the healing David

Old 01-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
This makes me smile!
Chris, you should have seen MY smile!

Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Made me smile 2. Thought of that Dr. Strangelove scene "Holding On To A Missle With One Hand"

Alvin, that's close!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of my favorite scenes from "Dr. Strangelove"....Slim Pickens riding a nuke into the "Ruskies".

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 PM

OUCH!!!! I wish you a speedy pain free recovery.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm out of the brace as of this morning. I need to have it around to wear as a reminder if I even THINK about using that arm for much more than holding a pencil. DO NOT activate my bicep. Therapy on that won't even start until early March. This whole process is scheduled to run out until about May, according to the "protocol" they are going by.
I can not....from the pain involved.....even try to rotate that left palm upward.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

THAT sucks!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Troy, shifting gears required the use of either the fingers on the bad hand or the insides of one of my legs to hold the wheel straight while the right hand stirred the shifter.

...and it felt good. I decided that staying out of the 4 barrel was a reasonable thing to do.
You must've been "Jonesing" to run her.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
You must've been "Jonesing" to run her.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Bottom line, you're getting old and falling apart...get used to it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, step one is that your moving forward and out of the brace. Be thankful that you are indeed moving froward David. Sorry to hear about the long road ahead but things could always be worse.