THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:38 PM

Lightbulb Mike Nixon Service arrangements

For those of you interested.

Mike's service is as follows:

Viewing is on Sunday, 4/6, from 12 to 4.

Funeral service is Monday, 4/7, beginning at 11:00.

Baird-Freeman Funeral Home
221 North Meridian Street
Portland, IN
260-726-7171

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 PM

I plan to be there Sunday... 2 ish. Hope to see many of you...

Brent

Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We will be going up on sunday then again for the funeral on monday. Obviously Mike was a Pontiac guy so anyone who is planning on attending services on monday, polish up your old turd and bring it out for one last cruise of old iron for Mike, even if its not a Pontiac, bring it out.it would be fitting tribute to a simple man who left us way to early.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Senior Chief

We'll be thinking of you. This may be the only business trip in my entire life where I had to leave on Sunday. My heart isn't in it...it's with all of you. Please relay our condolences.

Let go of pain, give faith the reins; and let that pony run.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will be there in spirit.

I miss you Mike.

I was so lucky to talk to you last week.

We're all so busy with life we forget how to live.

RIch and me wanted to just run out to see you but my schedule wouldn't allow.

And I think off all the "important" things I did last week that just mean absolutely nothing now.

I have a jug of shine to celebrate your greatness at Norwalk, Mikey.

GRAND PRIX FOREVER!!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like many I'll be there in spirit. I will get the GTO out for Monday at 11 am in honor of Mike.

I'll also wear a black arm band all day Monday in honor of him.

God Speed Mike.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funerals suck! Mike looked at ease. Loved hearing what his last word was... Very appropriate from him!

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Paul thank you for carrying our weight on this.

Can you let us in on the last word?

Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After weeks of not complaining, comforting others and quietly fighting for his life, when the discomfort became unbearable and the breathing was reduced to labored gasps, Mike finally cursed his affliction... His last word was simply "F#CK"! To those that know Mike, could you imagine it any other way? Stating fact right up to the bitter end!

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Our Pontiac brotherhood was very well represented at the funeral, not just in person, our POSI Club sent nice father/son remembrance statues for the twins, which were displayed by the guest book. A Father/son throw for Tray was hung directly next to the "head" of the casket. A large plant for Christina was actually right behind Mike. The framed 2' by 3' Rendering of his 65 we are restoring was proudly displayed at the foot of the casket. Just goes to show how important the Pontiac hobby was to him.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 PM

I saw the throw. I saw the nice large multi-photo in the adjoining room. I met one of the twins, again, but the first for him since he was so young last time I saw him. I spoke with Trey for a good bit of time. He remembered me, but remembered the Pontiacs I had even more. Told me about my blue and white 70 GTO with the factory engine and 4 speed. Even remembered the 69 GP I had but only for a few months. I spoke with a few people (Mike's wife Chris and others) that I knew but my wife and I had another calling to attend today also. We attended one yesterday too, all within 26 hours.

There was also a good turnout of old and new iron outside. I saw a couple mid 60's Catalinas sitting out front, along with a '67 or '68 Camaro that looked pretty nice. Also an honorable mention to the new Camaro with the "HOT WHEELS" package that I saw. Not for me personally, but was a nice looking car for sure. I also saw Jeff Allen's 1970 GTO (Judge clone) heading back to his hometown on our way up. We rode the Harley's in Mike's honor. The only old GM I have is a very nice 1994 Chevy Z71... Mike also liked those. Had the weather been cold (was 50 when we left home to go) I'd have driven it. Good turnout while I was there, always someone in line and many standing around visiting. Parking was at a premium as the lot was pretty well full and many were parking on the main street instead. We had an advantage, and were able to squeeze both bike in one space that was cheated on both sides a bit.

Bittersweet for certain. We saw Mike less than 24 hours before his passing. I'm thankful to have seen him one last time, although I didn't know it was that when we were there. He will be missed by many.... and while I can relate to the others, I know what mine feels like. I've lost a buddy, a brother, the "go to" guy when I had a question on any of the old Pontiacs. I only know of my personal loss firsthand, and it is a great one.....

Old 04-06-2014, 09:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
After weeks of not complaining, comforting others and quietly fighting for his life, when the discomfort became unbearable and the breathing was reduced to labored gasps, Mike finally cursed his affliction... His last word was simply "F#CK"! To those that know Mike, could you imagine it any other way? Stating fact right up to the bitter end!

Paul, that made me laugh and cry at the same time. Yes, that was Mike.

Goats I feel the same way, Many of us lost a brother and a go to guy. On the rare occasion when things got heated here on PY, I always knew Mike had my back no matter what. We balanced each other out pretty well, I was understanding and diplomatic and Mike would stick his boot up someone's a$$ without hesitation. During our last talk I told him I was losing a big brother, even though I was 4 years older.
It seems that Mike made an impact on many peoples lives...

Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
Paul, that made me laugh and cry at the same time. Yes, that was Mike.
Me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
It seems that Mike made an impact on many peoples lives...
Yes. To me it's both the sign of a life well-lived, and one to be long-remembered.

Take care, my friend. See you someday...

Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 AM

Default Mike Nixon calling pic. Funeral today 11am

There was a great turnout of family and friends yesterday. Mike would have enjoyed all the classic cars he a had a part in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nixon Funeral.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	359651  

Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I never met him, but it's great to read the his friends words.

Makes this hobby a bit more sobering and stronger!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964bonneville View Post
There was a great turnout of family and friends yesterday.
Thanks for sharing the pic, Steve.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The service is probably almost over as I type this. My hats off to everyone attending, especially those who have traveled a distance to be there.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:00 PM

Very cool pic.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Numerous "footprints" were left on the drive alongside of mikes gravesite. The rain decided to hold off until after the funeral so we all could give him the send off he would have wanted.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm sorry I couldn't be there, to either the viewing or funeral. Retail SUCKS!!!! I was scheduled to work both Sunday and today and couldn't find anyone to cover for me. I am glad both Pontiac cars, and more importantly, Pontiac enthusiasts, were there to comfort Mike's family.

As sad as this was, if there is a positive from the negative, the outpouring of love and compassion shown by so many people, many of whom had never met Mike, still blows me away. Pontyackers truly are the best people on the planet!!! The unity shown for Mike and his family, the circling of the wagons, if you will, restores some of my faith in humanity.

Mike, you can rest now and be pain free. I will see you at the Norwalk in Heaven, my friend.

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455

Last edited by Pontiacdaver; 04-07-2014 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Stupid typist, er, computer.