THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
When used oil gets into above ground water it will be digested by microbes and bacteria that convert any petroleum product into H2O and CO2. The huge oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico (Deepwater Horizon) was largely cleaned up by these microbes and bacteria to the point that there is little evidence 10 years later that it ever happened.

Hard to believe that tiny microorganisms could convert that volume of oil (4.9 million barrels spilled) into harmless by products. I realize some of the oil was rounded up by man made attempts, but a huge amount was just left in the ocean to let nature deal with.

I'm uncertain if these same organisms can do the same thing underground when land is contaminated, but it is possible that nature has some way to deal with contaminated land areas too.
The Lord's environmental clean up program in operation.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 06-10-2020, 03:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I change oil so often you could probably pour my used oil right into another engine and it would be cleaner than the typical crankcase full of oil
I'm guilty of this. I have always run my Pontiac on high zinc diesel oil.
I use an old Toyota Hi-Ace van as my everyday work vehicle. Its diesel powered and I like to change the oil & filter every 5000 miles. So I dump my Pontiac oil out often with no more than 200 miles up, fresh oil in the Pontiac, old oil & new filter into the Toyota.

Interestingly, the Pontiac and the Toyota both use the identical oil filter. There have been many times when I have also put the Pontiac filter into the Toyota.

Talk about saving money

Old 06-10-2020, 01:10 PM

You should see if any of your neighbors use a oil furnace for heat. I take mine to my mechanic’s shop and uses it to heat his shop up in the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-10-2020, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Along those lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
I take used motor oil and mix it with 50 % diesel fuel to protect untreated lumber.
Once you put several coats on and let the sun hit it, it makes a nice stain color and keeps wood from rotting.
My shop area is lined with rail road ties. On the rare occasion I have stale fuel I pour it over the RR ties. It stinks for a couple of days. I also poke holes in oil filters and set them on top of them to drain. The wood soaks up all of it. Now getting rid of old coolant, major hassle. You have to make an appointment with the local waste company. A few months ago they had a drive here that took old paint, batteries, coolant etc. That was awesome. I got rid of 6 five gallon buckets of old paint, 15 gallons of old coolant, 2 cases of old florescent bulbs.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 06-11-2020, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
If one of us kids where in front seat, had to wear a belt. Back seat no.

I joined volunteer fire dept at age 18-19.
After 3rd extrication in 1st month of service, wore a belt ever since.
I stood on the back seat so I could reach the toy steering wheel and controls that hung on the back of the front seat, so I could 'drive' the car, which was full of cigarette smoke from mom and dad, making it hard to see out the windshield. Great times!! LOL........

Old 06-11-2020, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

New car dealerships/quick lubes around here have waste oil/coolant tanks, o/filter cans outside.
Oil tank may be sealed with a vent, but dump station usually just inside a door.
Coolant tanks have 6"-8" screw off cap or flip lid.

Have an old 5g jug to store used oil, and dump when 4g full.
And a 5g pail with lid for o/filters.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100

Last edited by Region Warrior; 06-11-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:11 PM

Our recycling center accepts the plastic oil jugs and bottles, as long as they have been drained upside down for 24 hours minimum. This gets every drop out so the oil bottles apparently can be added to the normal recycling stream. Something to ask your recycling centers about...

Old 06-11-2020, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
My shop area is lined with rail road ties. On the rare occasion I have stale fuel I pour it over the RR ties. It stinks for a couple of days. I also poke holes in oil filters and set them on top of them to drain. The wood soaks up all of it. Now getting rid of old coolant, major hassle. You have to make an appointment with the local waste company. A few months ago they had a drive here that took old paint, batteries, coolant etc. That was awesome. I got rid of 6 five gallon buckets of old paint, 15 gallons of old coolant, 2 cases of old florescent bulbs.
It's interesting that getting rid of old coolant is a big problem in San Diego for you. Every state is so different. Ohio says if you are a small waste generator, (household), flush your old coolant down the sanitary sewer system. I think that's crazy, but that's what the Ohio EPA says. I won't do it.

Here is the EPA Memo:
https://www.epa.ohio.gov/portals/34/...nce/gd_615.pdf

Old 06-11-2020, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whether you can put coolant down the drain will depend somewhat on how the wastewater is treated by your town or city. There are a number of different processes used; for some it won't hurt anything, but for others it could harm the bacteria that's used at the treatment plant to break down the sewage.