Old 04-13-2020, 08:59 AM
Senior Chief

Default windshield washer pump not drawing fluid

I spent some time searching the archives and didn't find what I was lookin for, so posting a new question.

I just tried to install a new washer pump in my 68 Bonneville. I got it from Ames: PP407https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/Detail_Web?part_num=PP407&order_number_e=NDk1NTYzM g%3D%3D%0A&web_access=Y

It is from The Parts Place and the box is marked as PN #134. (The Ames sticker on the box says P199N? I will be calling about that.)

The pump squirts ok if primed, but will not draw fluid from the washer jug. I see that there is a note in the catalog saying this unit will only work with an original wiper motor. How do I ID the washer motor?

(And yes, I replaced all of the hoses, so I do not believe this is an air leak issue)

I can hear the cam clacking, but not certain if the post is riding in the cam slot correctly.

1. How do I determine if the wiper motor is original?
2. Any way to determine if the cam is properly engaged?

Old 04-13-2020, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it squirts when primed then the pump is working. The suction provided by these older pumps is quite terrible, even when they were newer they didn't work that well. I've rebuilt a dozen or so over the years and they'll work for a while but never great and they require priming a few seconds before putting anything out. A hidden electric pusher setup that is gravity fed vs. the original puller pump setup improves life considerably, I've seen a lot of aftermarket conversions in cars I've pulled apart.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pull the dip hose out of the reservoir and look at the filter on the end. It might be plugged with scum that forms from using off-the-shelf washer fluid, that blue crap that comes in the pre-mixed gallon bottles. I've had the same happen to me over the years.

Since experience is the best teacher, I've discovered that Summerfit is the best washer fluid out there: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...s-001986807117
It's a tiny bottle of concentrate that you add to a gallon of (preferably distilled) water. It cleans well and leaves no residue, and won't grow scum like the premixed stuff does.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:26 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you for the replies. Leaning on the washer switch for a prolonged period does not prime the pump. The washer juice is fresh and the end of the filter is clear.

As Ames has stated that the washer pump will not work unless the wiper motor is of the original design, how do I tell? Is there a part number on the thing that is visible from under the hood?