Old 05-24-2020, 06:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default What is the collective wisdom on this car?

65 grand prix with 4 spd:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Pontia...UAAOSwCORexuq~

I don't know enough to be dangerous. money pit, or diamond in the rough?

Old 05-24-2020, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesn't look like a bad deal but since the valves were done, the motor may not last. Even if the lower end needs to be done, it's not a terrible deal if that is what you want.
You don't find many survivors with the protectoplate. Plus it has decent options.

Last edited by stevep; 05-24-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its also got the highly sought after gauge package (oil pressure & Temperature). Hard to find.

Typical rust in the lower fenders and no doubt the rear window is leaking (don't they all???) but its a good looking thing and always can be resold without hurting the money pocket.

20 years ago, that was a $3000 car. Time alone is not hurting its value.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It depends on what you want to do with the car and how much you can do yourself IMO. If you want to restore that car to like new condition, you would be upside down so fast it would make your head spin. That car, with all it's paperwork, in 1- 2+ condition, could be bought for 40-45K. If you had to pay a body shop to get it there, you would be in it at least 20K. So now your at 35K without touching it mechanically or the interior, which needs considerable work to get it to that level. If you want to buy it and enjoy driving it, leaving the body as it is and just "maintain and fix things as they break, it would be a fun 15K car to bomb around in. I just love when all these descriptions say over and over how "easy, simple, and minor" all the body and paint damage is. The car was bashed into in the left rear and a quarter panel replaced, which is why the paint match is so bad. Also the rear bumper is twisted down from the accident. If the paint was stripped, the body has bondo and holes all over it. All the way around under the trim, around the edges, windshield base, rear window channel. I love these cars, especially with a stick, but you need to go in with your eyes open if you want to restore it and pay someone else to do most of it. They cost roughly double to restore vs a A body or F body due to lack of aftermarket support for body, trim and other unique parts.
If I bought it, it would be to wash up, drive and enjoy for a couple years and resell. Let the next owner take the big hit on the restoration. Probably what this seller is thinking. Not bashing the car, it's cool, just my observations from owning a half dozen of them. Base engine hurts the value some as well.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like it- a lot. I would drive it as is- possibility consider a paint job or have it wrapped.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
It depends on what you want to do with the car and how much you can do yourself IMO. If you want to restore that car to like new condition, you would be upside down so fast it would make your head spin. That car, with all it's paperwork, in 1- 2+ condition, could be bought for 40-45K. If you had to pay a body shop to get it there, you would be in it at least 20K. So now your at 35K without touching it mechanically or the interior, which needs considerable work to get it to that level. If you want to buy it and enjoy driving it, leaving the body as it is and just "maintain and fix things as they break, it would be a fun 15K car to bomb around in. I just love when all these descriptions say over and over how "easy, simple, and minor" all the body and paint damage is. The car was bashed into in the left rear and a quarter panel replaced, which is why the paint match is so bad. Also the rear bumper is twisted down from the accident. If the paint was stripped, the body has bondo and holes all over it. All the way around under the trim, around the edges, windshield base, rear window channel. I love these cars, especially with a stick, but you need to go in with your eyes open if you want to restore it and pay someone else to do most of it. They cost roughly double to restore vs a A body or F body due to lack of aftermarket support for body, trim and other unique parts.
If I bought it, it would be to wash up, drive and enjoy for a couple years and resell. Let the next owner take the big hit on the restoration. Probably what this seller is thinking. Not bashing the car, it's cool, just my observations from owning a half dozen of them. Base engine hurts the value some as well.
x 2, but I think top price, unless it is a true # 1 (And that would cost 50-75K to restore) is around 30-35k. Paint, chrome, suspension, etc = $$$$

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-26-2020, 10:39 PM

If you're looking for a four speed '65 Grand Prix, there weren't that many to begin with and there are a lot less of them now, so you'll have to pay up when one appears. It appears the car in the link sold so it's too late for that one, but $14,500 seems reasonable to me.

No matter how you look at it, old cars are generally a poor investment plan...in my opinion, if you can afford a car and it makes you happy, go for it.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:58 AM
Suspended

I would of been as gitty as a school girl putting my 14G in cash in the hand of the owner of that car!!!!!

What a deal!!!!