Old 01-15-2020, 10:08 PM
Senior Chief

Default Vinyl Top where to buy

I may be in need to replace my full vinyl top. I hope not as it isnt but about 5 years old. Has a few spots under I need to fix. I am hopingto be able to use a heat gun and remove it back about 6 to 8 inches and repair then glue back down. Thats the perfect scenario. When purchased the guy had put a new top on and had car painted. I know I may find more than I hope to. Worst case where do we buy the replacement top or is it best to just go to a trim shop. I would have it put on there anyways. Is there any codes that list the correct color for them anywhere on the car? What is the correct pattern for a 74 as I dont think whats on it is the correct style. Its more leather looking and when i had a different 74 it looked more pebbly. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:41 AM

You should be able to pull back and repair. Use a good grade duct tape over the sections you need to pull up. This will minimize stretching of vinyl top material. An infrared curing lamp would also be better than a heat gun to warm top up as it will warm from the body out.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:31 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for Responding. Do you mean to tape the vinyl area that I will be pulling up? If so, I never thought about that.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:45 PM

Yes - and go beyond that area somewhat to be safe. I used to own a Body Shop when I was younger (late 1970's) and had to deal with rust under vinyl tops quite often. You should be fine with pulling top back. Hopefully you don't have rust through. These areas should always be bead blasted to get all rust out as they're usually a "pocked marked" type of rust.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:29 PM

Default Seeking recommendations on where to purchase vinyl top to 1972 Grandville 4dr hardtop

Did a search on "where to purchase a vinyl top", and this seemed to be the most recent post.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to purchase a vinyl top for a 1972 Pontiac Grandville, 4-dr hardtop? Wanting to purchase one as close as possible to the original style- 2-seam, non-padded, white, Levant pattern.

- I had considered SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon, but have not had any response to my emails requesting a quote or product availability, and based on their response to several Better Business Bureau inquiries, would not trust them to deliver at this point. https://www.bbb.org/us/or/canby/prof...298/complaints

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:04 PM

Default vinyl top

I used Key Auto Top in NC they had the correct non padded Levant in Black double seams for my 71 GP. I believe you'll have to give them some dimensions. Nice product and pretty fast too if I recall.

72 J Sundance Orange/Wht/Wht