Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Saturday was a good day at Pontiac heaven. Got the '63 in the show and got very positive reviews.

Met a few people I knew and got to chew the car fat with them. And made a few new friends. A couple people were aware of and had been following the build threads.

To all those that talked to me, thank you so much for the positive reinforcement. And to all of you it was great to talk to you. I wished I had gotten names but just didn't think to ask. Sorry.

Now the real surprise.

Either it paid off knowing Steve Barcak and he felt sorry for me or I got enough votes to win the plack. It was a very pleasent surprise.

The show was great. Lots of nice cars, great people, great weather (maybe a little hot but the sun went behind some clouds for a while and it really helped). So overall the show was great and my day was great. Mark L

Last edited by marks73ta; 04-03-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:09 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Congratulations!

Old 04-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Jack, big surprise. Everyone was very enthusiastic about the direction of the cars build. MArk L

Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Congrats Mark. The winners are decided by the other entrants in the event, not me.
Looking forward to seeing your progress with it.

Today is the last day of Pontiac Heaven and is call the "Nostalgic Show & GO!"

Lots of vintage stuff rolled in last night and we drag raced until about 1:30 this moring. Today gates open at 8am. Looking forward to running our new A/FX class among others.

Mark- did you buy anything at the swap meet? I scored a '59-'60 stick shift bellhousing for one of my projects! Was very happy to find that. There was a lot of parts there.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 04-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Steve. I knew you did not choose, and that it was the entrants that voted, all the more reason to be amazed. I did get a very positive reaction which was great. I was very happy to receive the plaque, thanks for doing the event. Another great show and race day.
OH STEVE, ya got any sleep yet???? Or are you on what, hour 344??? Heh. Mark L

Old 04-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey everyone. My comment about Steve was meant to be funny but in rereading it it does not come across that way. I deeply apologize for any misgivings my comment may have caused. I in no way think Steve would have set the outcome of the voting and I was fully aware that all awards were the result of the peoples votes. I was one myself doing the voting. Steve works his butt off for this show and he makes improvements every year learning from previous events. Mark L

Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronhk_md View Post

mcduck.......as you make progress on your car please join us over on pro-touring.com forums as well. I'd love to see a full size pontiac pro-touring car!
I'll have to check that out. As for my progess... well, I've had the car since 2007 and have been slow to get to it due to other "transportation module" distractions.

I'm finishing up a RAII clone switchover on my '68 GTO 'vert now and am likely looking at a new motorcycle for a short term speed fix. Hoping to get things set up to start the Catalina work over next winter. I'm budgeting 15-20K for drivetrain, suspension, wheels. For now will remain factory color scheme. Once I have it built and rolling, I may go to a more custom paint job.

Photo as she is right now (quite a few more in the same album if you care to look)...
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/DSC03623.jpg

Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
Hey McDuck, any time any question. I'll answer to the best of my ability. Don't listen to Aron. Don't we all have little voices in our heads???
Mark L

Thanks, Mark! I'll try not to harrass you too much. It will be a few months before I really get started. The big thing now is trying to decide how I'm going to with the motor. Originally was very interested in doing a 421 build, but am not leaning heavily toward the twin turbo route. Ideally, I want to be making somewhere between 600 and 800 hp and gear the car to do pro-touring stuff. If possible, I want to limit serious modifications to the engine bay and suspension only.

Oh, and congrats on the award at Pontiac Heaven!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark,

I enjoyed seeing your car and talking with you briefly. It seems when I'm running my race car I don't get much time to talk except while I'm in my pit spot. Your award was richly deserved.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 04-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice nice '63. Looks like a great car to start on. Making a good reliable turbo'd 800 hp at the flywheel is like falling of a rock. It's so easy. And it's easier on the stock blocks than N/A. My TA motor made 886 at the wheels and it was a nice but near basic engine. '73 SR 455 2 bolt studded block, cast 455 crank, I did have aluminum rods but only because it was built before all the great rods were easily available, and i got a good deal on them. Home ported 6X-8 97cc cast heads (the new owner had them flowed and they were at 230 cfm), 248/248 @ .050 around .522/.555 (w 1.5) lift comp solid flat tappet cam. Cut at a 114 Lobe sep. Very easy cam for the street and came on like gangbusters under boost. Single 77MM TV7101/8101 turbo blowing thru a CSU 830 carb on a Victor intake. Very basic motor. A nice small twin turbo 455 would spool up instantly and make an easy 800 hp way down and still have enough to up top to be a beast.
I'm very interested in how you go about building the pro touring suspension on the '63. I'd like to see how it works out and what you need to modify. I've been told by some very knowledgable '61-'64 guys that basic factory design on them is very well done. Really works well with the wider wheel track and the longer wheel base. When ever you get going I'll be watching. Good luck with the build. Mark L

Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, when ever I headed to your pit you were heading for the track. Was nice seeing you again and wished I had talked to you more. That "Baby Catalina" (hehe) is so sweet. And thanks for the compliment. The car has a long way to go but didn't they say the best part is the journey. I think the best part is the people you meet on the way. Hopefully Steve can have his fall classic and we can meet up again. I WILL make sure to talk to you. Mark L

Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice nostalgic looking Catalina there Mark! Can't wait to see it run.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
Nice nice '63. Looks like a great car to start on. Making a good reliable turbo'd 800 hp at the flywheel is like falling of a rock. It's so easy. And it's easier on the stock blocks than N/A. My TA motor made 886 at the wheels and it was a nice but near basic engine. '73 SR 455 2 bolt studded block, cast 455 crank, I did have aluminum rods but only because it was built before all the great rods were easily available, and i got a good deal on them. Home ported 6X-8 97cc cast heads (the new owner had them flowed and they were at 230 cfm), 248/248 @ .050 around .522/.555 (w 1.5) lift comp solid flat tappet cam. Cut at a 114 Lobe sep. Very easy cam for the street and came on like gangbusters under boost. Single 77MM TV7101/8101 turbo blowing thru a CSU 830 carb on a Victor intake. Very basic motor. A nice small twin turbo 455 would spool up instantly and make an easy 800 hp way down and still have enough to up top to be a beast.
I'm very interested in how you go about building the pro touring suspension on the '63. I'd like to see how it works out and what you need to modify. I've been told by some very knowledgable '61-'64 guys that basic factory design on them is very well done. Really works well with the wider wheel track and the longer wheel base. When ever you get going I'll be watching. Good luck with the build. Mark L
any idea what a ballpark cost would be on a motor set up like that? Honestly, I don't mind turning a wrench, but in this case I'd almost prefer a crate built motor just to drop in than building it up myself. I've no experience dialing in the tuning on a turbo motor.

Last edited by mcduck; 04-05-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That question is almost unanswerable. Depends on sooo many factors. Even where in the country you live. I would build your wish list and then check with the good Pontiac builders for their estimates. Or, if you have a personal favorite builder check with them. Mark L

Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Suspended

I dont know that its wise to try to buy a crate turbo motor. I'm still on the learning curve myself, and I feel you need to know what goes into tuning these motors or you'll blow whatever wad of cash you have invested. Its not that they require tons of maintenance....but they do require a keen eye overseeing whats happening. If you are going to try to buy into one.......I think you can expect to lay down a LOT of cash. If you are willing to learn as you build it can be done reasonably.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronhk_md View Post
I dont know that its wise to try to buy a crate turbo motor. I'm still on the learning curve myself, and I feel you need to know what goes into tuning these motors or you'll blow whatever wad of cash you have invested. Its not that they require tons of maintenance....but they do require a keen eye overseeing whats happening. If you are going to try to buy into one.......I think you can expect to lay down a LOT of cash. If you are willing to learn as you build it can be done reasonably.

I built a modified 350Z a few years ago (performace cams, Vortech supercharger, etc. etc.) and recently had a custom tuned 2009 GT-R. I'm not unfamiliar with the concepts of a tuned FI car (air/fuel rates, boost rates, EGT, and so on). It's more the what elements would go into building a solid, old school V8 to handle the addition of FI components. Once it is together, I have a very reliable and trusted tuner I can take it to and dial it in. Then I can likely maintain the tune with my own laptop and appropriate software.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Suspended

Then you should be able to handle it. Mark is right though....so many variables. For example....do you just want the motor built, or do you want the turbo(s) hung, plumbed, etc. Doing that stuff yourself its reasonable. To have a shop do it is expensive.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I started building the firewall filer panels. This is the passenger side filler.

panel in place from firewall side

Panel in place from inside

And this is my high tech, high priced, highly prized flange bending equipment. Well, highly prized anywho!

Mark L

Old 04-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Suspended

Nice! I bend stuff similarly. I do love your pink parts washer.........lol

Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HA!, Can you say-----FADED!!!! MArk L