Old 06-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can see how there could be some confusion on the radiator applications for a 73-74. Technically, they're not a Ventura II because most (I think all) of them (71-72) came with a SBC and a little different core support. The support on a 73-74 can easily be modified to fit up to a 25x19, +/- an inch on the height, core radiator (even more if you open up the radiator opening). Any radiator from an X body application should work. If your going with a bigger core radiator, you'll also have to replace the rubber isolators at the top and the bottom in the core support and possibly find a different top plate (from a Nova specifically) that was meant for a wider 4 core radiator if that is what you are converting to width wise.
$400 is not a bad price for a drop in aluminum radiator and the Cold Case aluminum ones look just like a copper/brass radiator and are a nice piece. Hope my response isn't a "capt Obvious" read, just throwing it out just in case you didn't already know this or someone else was looking for some insight.

And by the way, nice car! Love the color!!!

Old 06-08-2018, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Stuart and Rob! I appreciate it. Thanks too for the thoughts on the Cold Case radiators Rob. They would be a drop-in like you mention and the 73-74 are unique as you mention, so not many offerings like for the Nova, so are the only 'show' in town, so to speak. For all the potential hassle of an 'almost-fits' radiator designed for a 'close-enough' application, at the end of the day would probably be the unwise investment. You are right about needing the deeper mounts for a 4-core since it only has the standard 3-core in it now. I wonder if that top late is reproduced from onw of the many Chevy repro-parts houses.

Dennis

Old 06-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD455DJ View Post
Thanks Stuart and Rob! I appreciate it. Thanks too for the thoughts on the Cold Case radiators Rob. They would be a drop-in like you mention and the 73-74 are unique as you mention, so not many offerings like for the Nova, so are the only 'show' in town, so to speak. For all the potential hassle of an 'almost-fits' radiator designed for a 'close-enough' application, at the end of the day would probably be the unwise investment. You are right about needing the deeper mounts for a 4-core since it only has the standard 3-core in it now. I wonder if that top late is reproduced from onw of the many Chevy repro-parts houses.

Dennis
I would think the top plate would be available for a Nova. The earlier ones I think only had a 21" wide core and the 3 row in the 73-74 were 23" but don't hold me to it. I'm sure if you measured your current radiators core and called Cold Case, they could match you if they don't have a listing for a 73-74 Ventura/GTO.
I was able to still use the original top plate with a 4 core brass radiator for years with just minor adjustments to it. When I switched both cars to aluminum, I just eliminated the plate and made brackets for them.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was also able to continue using the OEM shroud with the 4 core but eliminated it when I went to aluminum radiators. I made a shroud for the wife's 74 because its truly a street car that gets driven! No shroud on mine, I'll drive it on the street but not enough to warrant making a shroud.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Rob...I'll certainly check it all out.

Dennis

Old 01-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Senior Chief

Would this radiator be a direct bolt in?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-73-74-C...-/191145180166

www.lancablingsolutions.com
Old 01-22-2019, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Dennis,

I've not even owned mine a year yet. Bought it in August of 2017. Came from Phoenix. It's just under 100k miles. Can't believe what the seller told me, since I've found so much of what I was told to be untrue.

Here is what I do know: Honduras Maroon, haven't checked, but appears to be the factory color. Door panels are wrong, simply say "Ventura". Dash is cracked, already been replaced once. Have to replace package tray (have it). Buckets, column shift auto, air, P/S, P/drum brakes, aftermarket radio with enormous amp in the trunk, not working properly. Little console between the seats, just sitting there, but I actually like it.

Poverty steering wheel (Deluxe), white/black interior, someone removed the shoulder harnesses (gotta get 3-point factory deals from Ames), Flowmaster 40 series with correct splitters and lots of 90 degree bends in ~2" pipes. Can you say loud? Untouched 350, save for an incompetent Q-Jet rebuild and Pertronix module.

Doesn't get much more rust free for unrestored. Replacing the passenger inner fender since the original was rusted out below the battery tray.

Right now, just getting the basics done so I can enjoy it this summer.

Big plans for her long term. Some questions about the combination remain, but it will stay an automatic column shift A/C car because it was kind of unusual like that.

I've figured out some of the work arounds: Lokar column shift cable to clear headers; rack and pinion to get the steering box out of the way; and Classis Auto Air to get the giant A6 and evaporator box out of the way. Changing plugs from under the car isn't my style, and severely limits engine options.

Still a few things to figure out: I'm told the 8.5 can handle lots of power (drag radials are all it will see) if properly modded; I'm wondering about the T350: should I use it, or the fresh T400 I have? the engine I have is pretty stout, but I'm wondering about boosted options with a more mild setup. no idea where to put a centrifugal supercharger though, so that's probably a non-starter. Will have a get a custom air cleaner bottom made to adapt a 4500 to the scoop, unless Fitech or = can get the job done, power wise) with a standard size throttle body.

Street only, but I want it fast. Gotta remain a true pump gas drive anywhere real street car though.

Sorry, the only good pictures I have are from the Hemmings ad. Nothing bad has happened though, looks the same.

Stuart
I believe that is Fire Coral Bronze.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Would this radiator be a direct bolt in?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-73-74-C...-/191145180166
All the measurements look correct. Should work. Worse case you may need to do a little modifying to either the factory top mount plate or with bushings.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
I believe that is Fire Coral Bronze.
Thanks for the hint. I'll check the data plate. Nothing is certain right now!

Old 02-01-2019, 11:00 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the help. The radiator was a direct bolt in and works great. Looks good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
All the measurements look correct. Should work. Worse case you may need to do a little modifying to either the factory top mount plate or with bushings.

www.lancablingsolutions.com
Old 02-01-2019, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post

My old 71 had a 605 Al. BBC in it before I bought.

When I put the Pontiac in it, I used the same radiator and the factory upper hose. I used a block for the t-stat housing the rotated the housing and I just cut the hose.