The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-16-2020, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the driveway is not as sloped as it appears in that pic??

I was able to push it in out by myself , really not that difficult.

If I were to do it again, all 4 wheels would swivel, as that would make it easier to position in the garage.

I did as much work to the body as possible while it was sitting on the frame, new floors, block sanding panels,...etc, and then I put it on the cart, so I did not work on the body when it was on the cart, it was more of a place to store the body.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine has four swivel wheels ... still doesn't swivel as easy as I would like, 6" wheels I think. But then my 68 hardtop with doors still attached is probably quite a bit heavier.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I too used a wooden frame to hold the body while I rebuilt the frame. Worked out quite well.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-16-2020, 03:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Mine has four swivel wheels ... still doesn't swivel as easy as I would like, 6" wheels I think. But then my 68 hardtop with doors still attached is probably quite a bit heavier.
I have 4 swivel 10" pneumatic wheels. That was a mistake. Get 2 regular and 2 swivels. It's impossible to get all 4 turned by yourself.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

maybe it is easier with 2 fixed wheels?

I found when pushing it in garage, over the chassis, I had to get the fixed wheels exactly the right distance on either side of the chassis, or I would have to pull it out and try again......... maybe it was just me??

whatever you decide, the wooden cart was really handy when working in such a confined space.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Luckily I don't move it a lot ... I just go to each corner and turn them the way I want to go, then push

I have a gravel drive, so come spring time I'll have to build a set of wooden tracks to roll it out on to, don't think the wheels would fair well on gravel.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:55 AM

I like that cart, I was thinking about something like that to help lower in getting the body back on the frame. Roll chassis underneath and then a few guys to lift and lower body onto the frame. I'm close to that point. Finished all the brake lines, dropped engine and headers in, trans going in this week. I just put a transgo shift kit in it. I figured might as well while it's out of the car. The exhaust is all done, and gonna bolt that up after the transmission is in. I've installed the core support and radiator also. The core support has me a little worried because I had to do some major repairs on it, and I hope it is gonna fit up with the rest of the front end properly. So far it seems to mount up to the frame good and the angles seem correct. We'll see. This part of the project has been a nice break from the endless body work I"ve been doing for the last year or so. I'm gonna wire up the engine, and get it running on the frame; a. to make sure everything is ok, b. because I can't help myself Haha. It will be nice to hear it fire up.