Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 PM
Senior Chief

Default 65 Gto reproduction rear bumper manufacture (s)

Anyone know if all 65 Gto rear bumpers are made by the same co. (Gold star)

Or are there several manufacturers? If so which one is likely to be better quality.

Thank you.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know of exactly how many manufacturers there might be, but I do know that there is at least two. One has been on the market for a few years. It was a nice bumper for a driver. The center of the bumper was bumped 'out' too much and the outer ears didn't have very good fit. Not sure who makes it. Now AMD came on the market in 2016 with a show quality bumper. This bumper was made off a perfect 65 Lemans rear bumper and the fit and finish as well as the chrome is show quality. Not sure what vendors are carrying this bumper, but you should be able to contact them direct as they sell direct to the public.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
I don't know of exactly how many manufacturers there might be, but I do know that there is at least two. One has been on the market for a few years. It was a nice bumper for a driver. The center of the bumper was bumped 'out' too much and the outer ears didn't have very good fit. Not sure who makes it. Now AMD came on the market in 2016 with a show quality bumper. This bumper was made off a perfect 65 Lemans rear bumper and the fit and finish as well as the chrome is show quality. Not sure what vendors are carrying this bumper, but you should be able to contact them direct as they sell direct to the public.
AMD lists the rear bumper $319. That is a good price if it is that nice.
Dave

Old 01-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you, I take it you have hands or eyes on experience with this bumper ? Thanks again.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
Thank you, I take it you have hands or eyes on experience with this bumper ? Thanks again.
I was involved with sourcing the bumper used for the pattern and also in the test fitting of it and the competition's bumper.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:41 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks again, just ordered one from AMD.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me know what you think when you get it.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just ordered a 67 rear from AMD . They say they have retooled their bumpers(heavier gauge) and chroming. Hopefully their claim of much better quality of fit and finish holds true. Then I will look to get the front bumper as I am not happy with the front repop I got from another vendor.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Senior Chief

Default Bumper feed back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Let me know what you think when you get it.
Got the bumper, very prompt service.

Out of the box, looks very good.

Installed, good fit, after install I noticed a "speck" of chrome flaked off on the top of the V at the quarter panel extention. I taped every thing prior to install don't see how how it could have happened due to handling.

If it doesn't get any worse I will live with it.

Overall (minus flake). An excellent value. 👍

Old 03-17-2018, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, you bought a new bumper from AMD and it has a flake? Just want to make sure I got this right? I would probably call and ask for a non-defective one.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:25 AM
Senior Chief

Default Flake

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
So, you bought a new bumper from AMD and it has a flake? Just want to make sure I got this right? I would probably call and ask for a non-defective one.
I will if it spreads. It's in an inconspicuous location. Really don't want the hassle of Remove and replace if it doesn't get worse.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:52 AM

AMD's site would seem to indicate that they may be working on a front bumper as well. Anyone out there have an idea or some inside information as to when the front will be available?

Anyone know which one our host is selling? Seems like the AMD bumper is higher quality and worth the wait. I was considering buying a front and rear (65) from our host and picking up at Carlisle. If they are not AMD I think I will reconsider and just eat the shipping.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Any news on the AMD front bumper for a 65 GTO? Has anybody purchased one, how is the fit and quality?

Old 01-21-2020, 12:44 PM

I bought front and rear from AMD for my 65. The front is very nice fits well, nice crisp edges. I think the quality is great considering the price. I paid under 700 delivered to PA. There is another post on here that might be more informative. I'll look for it and post here when I find it.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:47 PM

Found it: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...22#post5915622

I posted pictures in this post as well. The 700 I mentioned prior was for both front and rear delivered.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the reply and the link Daubert .Anyone else give these bumpers a try? Looking to get a good consensus among several folks who have purchased these bumpers. Trying to avoid having to find a good straight GM core for the front. My rear fits nice but it needs to be rechromed.