Old 01-04-2020, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Need suggestions for grille repair/repaint

Hello,

Looking for ideas on how to repair the broken or cracked plastic tabs on my GTO grilles, as well as best methods to repaint.

As shown in the attached pics, the areas where the grille bezels are attached to the grilles have cracked or broken. I was thinking of Veeing out the cracks and filling with 2 part epoxy, or gluing the broken pieces with the same product. Is epoxy the correct product or is there something else that is recommended?

The bottom parts of both grilles also have rust on them...it looks like someone did some grinding near them at one time and metal particles stuck to the plastic, then rusted. Fixing this will require sanding and repaint, and I'd like to know what have others done to restore the finish on their grilles.

These are original Judge grilles and the black is the actual plastic colour, so also need suggestions on correct black finish...flat black or satin black?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200104_163223_resized.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	528185   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200104_163242_resized.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	528186   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200104_163305_resized.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	528187  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 01-12-2020, 08:43 PM

I used permatex cold weld, it is similar to jb weld on the broken tabs. Once it was set up I could sand/grind and drill holes in it. It worked ok. maybe there is a better product for the job. A fair amount of time was spend getting them to my liking. They turned out ok. As for paint we used a satin finish, sorry can't remember the name of product. Not 100% sure what the correct finish should be on them but we were happy the results.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gtojosh View Post
I used permatex cold weld, it is similar to jb weld on the broken tabs. Once it was set up I could sand/grind and drill holes in it. It worked ok. maybe there is a better product for the job. A fair amount of time was spend getting them to my liking. They turned out ok. As for paint we used a satin finish, sorry can't remember the name of product. Not 100% sure what the correct finish should be on them but we were happy the results.

Much appreciated. Thanks!

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...