Old 11-22-2019, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Transmission Crossmember Height

I got ahead of myself in boxing my frame and sectioned my crossmember before I measured it's height to the frame.
I'd like to know the height of the bottom/center of the crossmember, below the trans mount, in relation to a straight line between the bottom of both frame rails.
Hopefully one of you guys can conveniently take the measurement,,,,,

1965 GTO Post Coupe, Burgundy w/Parchment, 467, Crower 60243, Rhoads V-Max, Ported 5C's, JB Roller Rockers, Original '66 Tripower, Dave's Small-body HEI, RA Exh Manifolds, 2.5" Exh X-pipe w/Super Turbo's and SS Splitters, Tremec TKO 600, 3.91 12-Bolt Posi w/bearing retainers, boxed frame, 4X Discs with hydro-boost, EPAS
Old 11-22-2019, 12:20 AM
Boost Engineer

I have a convertible cross-member where I can get you close on the heights.

I will measure it up in the next couple of days and post the info.

Tom v.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very much appreciated, thanks Tom.

1965 GTO Post Coupe, Burgundy w/Parchment, 467, Crower 60243, Rhoads V-Max, Ported 5C's, JB Roller Rockers, Original '66 Tripower, Dave's Small-body HEI, RA Exh Manifolds, 2.5" Exh X-pipe w/Super Turbo's and SS Splitters, Tremec TKO 600, 3.91 12-Bolt Posi w/bearing retainers, boxed frame, 4X Discs with hydro-boost, EPAS
Old 11-22-2019, 01:00 PM
Boost Engineer

When I put the transmission cross-member on a flat surface.
(No rubber biscuits on the ends and the cross-member flipped upside down)

A caliper inserted in the Trans Mount holes and measuring from the flat surface to the cross-member bottom surface (now the top most height where the trans mount bolts go thru) measured 2.850" vs the ends of the trans cross-member.

Hope that helps.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Tom, it appears that the verts CM is configured differently at the ends since it doesnt lay on the frame rails.
How much higher are the ends vs the rails?

Old 11-22-2019, 07:31 PM
Boost Engineer

Here is a link to some frame pictures from another website.
I am afraid that I can't help you out as the frames are different where the trans cross-members are mounted.

http://www.squidsfabshop.com/gtoframe/gtoframe.html

In picture #7 you can see that the Convertible/Heavy duty frame (Boxed) locates the trans mission cross-member "pad" at approximately the same height as the hardtop frame. The isolator used in the convertible frame is .375" thick, then the cross-member thickness (.125") then the upper half of the rubber isolator, .375" thick, and finally the retaining bracket that fits over the isolator and holds the cross-member in the correct location.

So I would say that my dimensions need to be offset by the .375" isolator height.

Tom V.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 11-22-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks again Tom, so I would deduct the .375 from your 3.85?

Old 11-22-2019, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone have a new or previously functional crossmember laying around?

If you could measure the height of the ends when it is layed flat, I believe that would be the answer.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:59 PM
Boost Engineer

You need an actual Hardtop/Coupe cross-member to do an accurate measurement like I did on the convertible piece I have. It would be a guess on the actual dimension from my part, based on a picture, mrtonegto.

Tom V.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Totally agree with a roofed car xmember and your method Tom.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 11-28-2019, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Measurement

Let's give it another try with Christmas spirit!

Looking for the height of the ends with a Xmember placed on a flat surface as shown:

Click image for larger version

Name:	xmember measurement.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	525632

Old 11-28-2019, 11:25 PM
Boost Engineer

Since it is Thanksgiving Day, tomorrow, I will remeasure my crossmember the way you have it positioned and give you my end measurements.

Tom V.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Tom, hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Old 12-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Senior Chief

Just wanted to say hello. Long time no see. Are you still building that 65 burgundy coupe? I still have my 65 coupe if you need measurements. I live near Greer now. cell # 704 491 6445.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Michael, yeah it's been awhile. Doing a frame-off on my coupe, boxing the frame and everything else that keeps you busy, dirty and greasy.....
I'll give you a call[ATTACH].Attachment 525836
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rotey 6.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	525835  

Old 12-02-2019, 02:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtonegto View Post
Let's give it another try with Christmas spirit!

Looking for the height of the ends with a Xmember placed on a flat surface as shown:

Attachment 525632
Measuring the way you have the cross-member orientated, I have 2" from a flat surface to the top of the cross-member on one side and 1.900" on the other side. Very hard for a manufacturer to form a piece of steel EXACTLY to the 2" dimension I think.

Tom V

Old 12-02-2019, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for taking the time Tom, I'm much more confident on my final sectioning job now.