THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I have reached a Y in the road. Not life or death

Outside of my family I have two passions that I have no control over. One is cars and one is hunting. When this all started I was 14 years old in 1966. Cars were 250.00 and hunting was going out on Saturday and getting permission and hunt what ever was in season. i live in Kansas and hunting was plentiful. As time went on College took my car money but hunting was the cost of ammunition. Then Marriage and kids took precident over every thing else but hunting still was my escape. By this time my hunting had expanded to hunting all over the west colorado Montana and New Mexico and was gettin exspensive. In 91 my son was born(second marriage) I decided I needed a hobby closer to home with some value when I was done. I had some money and bought a 65 chevelle ss 4 speed convertible just for fun because of a butternut yellow 68 cutlass conv I had in college.
Been away from classic cars for 20 years. I realized I bought a POS but my pride got the best of me and decided to work on it and 6 years later it was finished.
I won't go through all of the cars since then but most were frame off.
Fast forward hunting is now an industry unless your family owns property you pay to hunt. I am fastly approaching fixed income I don't mean poverty.

2 years of health problems, back surgery Sepsis and hand surgery, my mobilty has been extremely hendered (walking, getting up of garage floor).
My situation is minimal compared to people with alot tougher decisions than I have to make..

So do I go on that mule deer hunt next year or put tri power on my car. That is last of my stash. After that it is Social Security, 401K.

Most of you who have never hunted could never understand this delemma.

Remember always chase those dreams

Thanks Greg

Old 11-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

HUNT!Tom

Old 11-01-2019, 10:19 AM

I’m not a hunter, and never will be! However I get what you’re saying I’ve run the gammit of health issues myself that have in someway hindered my #1 hobby of cars. I would say to you, why make a choice? Life is wayyyyy to short not to follow your passions! You only get one go round in this thing we call life, live it to the fullest at your own pace, on your own terms, but never give up anything you love doing. The things we love and have a passion for are actually a very good medicine, as long as you are physically able, pace yourself and do what you’re comfortable with, but never ever give up. anything that gives you peace and joy.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 11-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I live in Montana and I can get what you say on hunting costs. My friends who are big hunters and fishermen spend as much on their hobby as I do on the car gig.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:05 PM

OK Here we go. Sell your tri power, buy a used ATV to go off road with and tow it to were its cheaper to hurt. You must have state land. I'm not a hunter but its sounds like fun plus you won't have to do so much walking.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’d do the Tri Power. It increases the value of your car plus you have something to show for it besides possibly a moose head which has no real value

Old 11-01-2019, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The car's running now?

Go hunting.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the game cameras on a nearby hunting lease took a pick of TJ riding her horse thru the woods, on a trail she'd been riding for a long time.

Well, the next day she got an unfriendly message that she was no longer welcome on that property & should cease riding there immediately. And it's not just during hunting season. Stay off the property from now on.

The message said the members pay $1000 per year to hunt in the lease. They also mentioned something about insurance costs.

And this ain't the 1st time she's been ejected. A very smart alec young man once pulled into our driveway & told me, in no uncertain terms to tell TJ to quit riding in the lease he belonged too.

I'm glad he didn't do that in my B.C. days, especially if I'd been drinkin when he came. The VERY least he'da got would have been a very severe cussin, with all the worst cuss words I knew.

But, thankfully, I was a different man. I just said something like, OK, I'll tell her. But, I'm afraid I didn't do it with the best attitude. It's just sad that she can no longer ride on many of the same trails she's used since the 1970's.

I hunted til I started doing a lot of racing. Traded my last shotgun, an 870 Wingmaster 12 ga 3" magnum, for a GTO with a 12-bolt rear, TH400, & broke engine. Also sold my Harley Sportster. Gave up all the other hobbies. And, if the finances had been there, I'd done a LOT more racing than I did.

I reckin some like fishin, some like huntin, some like golf, & some like ridin 4-wheelers or other off-road vehicles, etc. But, my thang was racing, with Pontiac power. Another good time for the saying "different strokes for different folks".

Old 11-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
The car's running now?

Go hunting.
X2

Tripower setups are cool, but they're not cool enough to abandon your other passion.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Litigious Society

We live in a Litigious Society.

Out of necessity - letting someone hunt on private land has gone by the wayside unless you have a guided hunt or stay with the owner while you hunt.

Plenty of folks have lost their land in Litigation.

Jim

Old 11-01-2019, 01:47 PM

I would go with the tri-power and forget hunting. For one there is CWD (chronic wasting disease) all around CO now a days. I have been going hunting with my dad since I was five, mule deer. Always around the Rustic, Red Feather area. I will say my dad was a great hunter, me not so much. It was always a family thing to go out hunting with my uncles and cousins. The best times were with my grandfather, he was grumpy old man at home but when we would go hunting he would lighten up and teach me things about tracking and looking for scat. Just before we would pack up for the weekend we would squeeze off a few rounds for target practice, that was awesome. Now a days like others have mentioned land/mountains around Rustic/CO has been sold to the highest bidder and most of it is private property or pay to play. Growing up as a kid all you would hear in the early morning was trucks of hunters streaming up the mountain to get the best spots, now it is a bunch of motorcyclists and ATV people tearing around the roads. I used to love walking the mountains it was peaceful and tranquil, those days are gone. I still believe hunting ranches are what brought CWD to the mule deer around CO. When you raise tame deer in a coral and then wonder why it is spreading so quickly. Also people who say they are hunters and pay 1500.00 to sleep in a cabin and then have some guide spook a tame deer into the open is not hunting. Anyway good luck on whatever you decide sorry for the rant, to many people moving here.

Last edited by ta6point6; 11-01-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:08 PM
Senior Chief

Hunt for cars/parts, maybe not. Sounded good when I thought of it.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Three years ago I had a complication from a surgery and lost 25 percent of my blood.Scared the hell out of me.I decided that the next summer I would forgo Norwalk and this hobby and do more of my first passion of fishing.Tripowers will be there but your ability to hunt might not be.Your choice!Tom

Old 11-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Three years ago I had a complication from a surgery and lost 25 percent of my blood.Scared the hell out of me.I decided that the next summer I would forgo Norwalk and this hobby and do more of my first passion of fishing.Tripowers will be there but your ability to hunt might not be.Your choice!Tom
I understand after my surgery I got Sepsis I had no clue what that was I never saw doctors react so fast when it was diagnosed. I asked the doctor what is it he said this could kill you. Luckily it didn't but when the discussion comes up no one has ever known anybody that has survived it. That was an eye opener for me
I do look at things different and try not to take life for granted.
I think with the help of this forum for sale section I can scratch around and build a tri power on the cheap(not a #s matching thing) just an operable tri power. And I will definetly hunt for that Mule deer next year.

Thanks for everybodys thoughts
Greg

Old 11-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a hunter who hasn't hunted for about 3 years for the reasons you mentioned. It gets harder and harder. Now, where I live, it's only copper bullets or steel shot....no lead. So I have lots and lots of now useless ammunition. I would go for the tripower, as it is a gift that keeps on giving, vs a one-time experience. BUT, having said that, in your position, I would try to do BOTH. You only live once, and you will regret neither in the long run. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You probably already know your answer deep down. I too like cars and hunting,heading out tomorrow morning with my kids for the first day of whitetail. Do whatever makes you the happiest and makes sense.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe stay home, get a whitetail and do your tri power.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 11-01-2019, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
I would go with the tri-power and forget hunting. For one there is CWD (chronic wasting disease) all around CO now a days. I have been going hunting with my dad since I was five, mule deer. Always around the Rustic, Red Feather area. I will say my dad was a great hunter, me not so much. It was always a family thing to go out hunting with my uncles and cousins. The best times were with my grandfather, he was grumpy old man at home but when we would go hunting he would lighten up and teach me things about tracking and looking for scat. Just before we would pack up for the weekend we would squeeze off a few rounds for target practice, that was awesome. Now a days like others have mentioned land/mountains around Rustic/CO has been sold to the highest bidder and most of it is private property or pay to play. Growing up as a kid all you would hear in the early morning was trucks of hunters streaming up the mountain to get the best spots, now it is a bunch of motorcyclists and ATV people tearing around the roads. I used to love walking the mountains it was peaceful and tranquil, those days are gone. I still believe hunting ranches are what brought CWD to the mule deer around CO. When you raise tame deer in a coral and then wonder why it is spreading so quickly. Also people who say they are hunters and pay 1500.00 to sleep in a cabin and then have some guide spook a tame deer into the open is not hunting. Anyway good luck on whatever you decide sorry for the rant, to many people moving here.
CWD has far more to do with deer consuming tainted cattle feed. There are ZERO hunting ranches in WI or IN but BOTH states have a growing CWD problem, not to mention EEH due to this summer’s extended drought.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-01-2019, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually made that decision (not to do anything on the car), so that my son and I can head up to the Cabela's next weekend to pick up a nice rifle. My son is way out in the middle of nowhere this weekend hunting out of his buddy's remote cabin. No one around for tens of miles. I don't know where they hunt, but I'm sure that it's as wild as it gets. You guys are more than welcome to come up here and hunt anytime and I don't believe that it's that difficult to organize. You'll meet a lot of like minded people. Big game is Moose, White tail and Black bear. Small game, if you get bored, you can pick off a porcupine, bag a bird, or whack a weasel.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Life is all about tradeoffs. I keep asking myself why I have a bunch of rare old cars that I don't drive, and the only answer I can give myself is that I collected these cars over the years while dreaming of retiring and restoring each one.

My dad had a cabin in the NC mountains during my highs school and college years. I loved going up there and fishing, but after marriage and a family started, I haven't been in years. As soon as I retire, I plan to rent a cabin and spend some time fishing. If I still enjoy it as much as I used to, my plans may change and I may thin the herd and buy a cabin in the mountains.