Old 05-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Their two listings for extensions is based on the tailpipe size. Their claim in the Details at the top of their page is that they copied the factory originals exact, which if true means the extensions should be 2-1/2" and look like this.

Original NOS 2-1/2" extensions are in the center and have 2" tailpipe inlet. My stainless copies are on the outside.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Totally not interested in exact, factory sized extensions...I'd prefer the 2-1/2" all the way through as shown on the "outside".

Old 05-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
Totally not interested in exact, factory sized extensions...I'd prefer the 2-1/2" all the way through as shown on the "outside".
So...any more available? You can see the NOS extensions are necked down...not interested in that.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello? tap tap tap...is this thing on?

Old 05-15-2011, 12:18 AM

John Kryta and his great crew at Inline tube fit the first set of 73 exhaust on my unrestored original Gold GTO using my original exhaust system pieces as thier pattern and thier assembly mannual. The system fits very well and sounds great ! The extentions are stainless and are 2 1/2 inches in diameter and are shaped to match the original 1973 extensions with reduction at the inlet to fit the correct 2 inch or 2 1/4 inch optional tailpipes. The mufflers are correct length and the inlet and outlet are corectly placed. The head pipes are oval in the transmission crossmember area just as original. The available sizes are listed in the latest Inline Tube Pontiac Catalog. The extensions can be seen by going to Inline Tube's facebook page.

Last edited by gtojim73; 05-15-2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: add wording
Old 05-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is all great info, but I'll be going to a custom exhaust shop for a full 2-1/2" system from the manifolds to the bumper...not interested in originality because the Can Am never had dual exhaust to start with...not interested in having a 2-1/2" tip "choked" at its inlet like the originals were...I'm interested in what BillyGoat73 has shown in the pic on post #21, the ones that aren't "choked".

I can have this custom shop bend them for me, but then I'll have to either take them off the car to polish them and have them put them back on, or take the car to them to measure and have it done in two steps...either way I'm polishing them and making two trips with the car to the shop. I'd rather just buy them already done (as shown in the pic on post #21) and get it done in one shot.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems to me if your exhaust pipe is 2-1/2 and Billy's tips are 2-1/2, they will butt up to each other. So, for a slip fit and to maintain the 2-1/2, the end of your exhaust pipes will have to expanded for the tips to slip in to. Should be an easy thing for an exhaust shop to do though.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Band clamps work too, as does welding (which is what I had in mind).

Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 AM

I haven't made any extensions in over a year when interest dried up. They were labor intensive as I was buying the pipe, driving across town to have a local muffler shop do the mandrel bends, then cutting and grinding the angled outlet and final polishing in my garage. I did them in six or eight sets at a time to make it worth my effort.

Since Inline Tube stole my thunder, I can't compete with their price. Your best bet is to buy a set of their extensions, cut off the reduced inlet, and weld your 2-1/2" tailpipes to the extensions on the car. The inlet of the extension is hidden in between the lower quarter panel and the frame, so the couple inches you cut off will not be noticed.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtojim73 View Post
John Kryta and his great crew at Inline tube fit the first set of 73 exhaust on my unrestored original Gold GTO using my original exhaust system pieces as thier pattern and thier assembly mannual. The system fits very well and sounds great ! The extentions are stainless and are 2 1/2 inches in diameter and are shaped to match the original 1973 extensions with reduction at the inlet to fit the correct 2 inch or 2 1/4 inch optional tailpipes. The mufflers are correct length and the inlet and outlet are corectly placed. The head pipes are oval in the transmission crossmember area just as original. The available sizes are listed in the latest Inline Tube Pontiac Catalog. The extensions can be seen by going to Inline Tube's facebook page.
I just installed the Inline Tube correct reproduction mufflers on my totally original 1973 Grand Am exhaust system, and the fit was perfect, and they sound very good. They were $89 each plus shipping. They are identical to the OEM mufflers that were finally rotted out.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4