Old 09-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bead on Inside Quarter Panel Bottom Lip

There is a bead of something flexible on the bottom inside lip of my quarter panels that runs from the top of the quarter panel behind the bumper down the quarter panel and ends behind the wheels. It is flexible and has cracked.

Does anyone know what this is and where to find it? It looks like it is a cell structure internally, and I have attached a picture of the backside of a piece that I removed.

My car was assembled in Baltimore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quarter panel bead--inside 004.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	337460  

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old dried out seam sealer.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I assume this was applied before paint so I can reapply sealer and then paint over it.

I assume that any good auto seam sealer would be fine.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3m at any napa

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Read the tech on it before you get too far. Most seam sealers cant be applied to bare metal, so you have to do it after the epoxy/primers but before paint. Also there is tons of different kinds, for that you will want a heavy body (thick) seam sealer. Some is self leveling and real runny, you dont want that. I believe the Napa here has a display of the build of each one squirted out on a board so you can see how thick it is. 1" paint brush will spread it nicely. Also will want to grab some acid brushes to spread the harder to reach area.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think there's 2 part stuff you can use as well.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 09-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
Read the tech on it before you get too far. Most seam sealers cant be applied to bare metal, so you have to do it after the epoxy/primers but before paint. Also there is tons of different kinds, for that you will want a heavy body (thick) seam sealer. Some is self leveling and real runny, you dont want that. I believe the Napa here has a display of the build of each one squirted out on a board so you can see how thick it is. 1" paint brush will spread it nicely. Also will want to grab some acid brushes to spread the harder to reach area.
Thanks. I'm removing the undercoating put on the car by the selling dealership in 1969 with a torch/plastic razor blades/etc, and I cannot save this sealer of course. I wanted to be sure of what I was dealing with.

Was this sealer put on before the body was painted or after?