Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Kick Panel Vent pull knobs

Has anyone replaced these knobs? Do they screw on, or are they glued? Any tips on removal of the old and installing the new?

Do the reproduction vent pulls match the originals or should I be better off looking for NOS?

Appreciate the help,

Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They're supposed to press on. I helped a friend install them last minute during the Portland show a few years ago when I pointed out they were missing right before he was supposed to have the car judged. The repops he had were too large and just fell off the metal rods, solved it with a piece of napkin from what I recall, we put a piece over the rod then forced the knob down over the top so the friction fit snugged the knob down! To this day, I don't think he's messed with them and they've been working fine. Doing it the right way, I'd say you'll need a dab of CA glue on the rod, then push the knob down and let it set.

The Following User Says Thank You to gto4evr For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like the originals are epoxied on the steel stem. Seems like anything repro is different in some way. Guess I'll leave teh originals and paint where the chrome has come off with a silver leafing pen.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason67 View Post
Looks like the originals are epoxied on the steel stem. Seems like anything repro is different in some way. Guess I'll leave teh originals and paint where the chrome has come off with a silver leafing pen.
You might try that to see how it looks. I have seen instructions for the repo's that say to cut the originals off and glue the repo on, but I have not done that.

This piece is so simple that the repo might be nice.

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bet Winner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always failed to removed those knobs. They are either epoxied or glued in place. There is no way you can get them off intact. Something will break.

The shaft is 'barbed' so once its in, its not coming back out without damage.

The Following User Says Thank You to MescaBug For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've pulled Headlamp knobs off the shaft & pressed them onto kick-panel vent shafts. Seemed easy enough. 68 chrome Knob-style was exacting.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post: