Old 10-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Oil Filler Caps & Gas Cap

The oil filler cap on the right is from my 69 Judge and hopefully you can see the small AC. The cap on the left is from my 68 Firebird with a larger AC. I believe this was probably the pattern with the larger AC used in 68. The Judge cap is in really good shape and the Firebird cap has a little corrosion, even though the valve covers still look nice. Does this larger and smaller AC hunch of mine hold true with what you all have seen?

The gas cap is from my Judge. It says NOT VENTED. It was painted black, and I cleaned the paint off today. I probably should have it glass beaded. What do you guys suggest I do to the gas cap?

I ran out of film. I intended to take a picture of the radiator since it is out of the car and the original radiator filler--maybe next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68972-R1-00-0_001.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	107041  

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used Eastwood's rust remover (about $40 a gallon) a lot & am very pleased with the results. I soaked my original fuel/brake line hold down clips over night in the rust remover. It took all traces of rust off but left the galv. plating on them. A quick shot of satin clear & the clips looked good as new!
You may try soaking your gas cap in it.
HTH,

Old 10-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

small AC is correct 69 JUDGE valve cover cap. gas cap has NO thumb tabs to help remove... i need to check mine now as i think i have thumb tabs, & mine is natural.
tank is vented through filler neck.... or should be

you can also soak parts in EASY OFF OVEN cleaner for 24hrs works great

Old 10-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The gas cap shown is the original. I should have also kept the one on my Dad's 69 LeMans before he sold it. It was the exact same. I believe at least all the 69 A Bodies used the same gas cap. Maybe some of the other Pontiacs used this gas cap also.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think you can guarantee that only the one oil cap is correct for all '69 Judges built at all plants. I have a large AC oil cap that I took off of a '69 Firebird 400 car, later built car. So, it is obvious that they were still using these up. Also, I believe in an earlier "oil cap" thread there was a member with a June built '69 Judge he bought brand new that had the later FC65 chrome oil cap on it.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen both on 69 Pontiacs on a regular basis over the years.

Gas cap is interesting, I have seen that one often but also the Stant cap (like Ames sells, but without the aluminum warning label) with the ears is often on these cars in boneyards. Does anyone know for sure which of these is correct and if I may ask how do you know. Not trying to be smart it's just that the nature of gascaps is that they get lost, especially back in the days of full service. The gas station I worked at when I was in school had a few 5 gallon pails full of them.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 10-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exactly the same type gas cap pictured came on my Dad's 69 LeMans that he purchased new. I assume it came from the Baltimore plant since it was purchased new in High Point, N.C.

My Judge came from Baltimore also. I have never asked the prior owners if the original gas cap was changed so I cannot "prove" it is the original.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's hard to say, all my cars are quite original cars and I have two with tabs and two without and all four (have not seen the Bonne yet) "look" like they have been there since day one. By the way the two that have the plain one come from the Baltimore and Pontiac plant while the two with tabs come from Fremont.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 02-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is my restored gas cap--turned out pretty well.

sorry for the rug
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	165007-R1-09-4.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	157374  

Old 02-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

maybe there is more than one brand or style of gas cap, but thisis what i have found to be on most 64 -70 gm cars (exc station wagon). its on e-bang right now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cap.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	157525  

Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bet Winner View Post
I ran out of film. I intended to take a picture of the radiator since it is out of the car and the original radiator filler--maybe next time.
Film? What's that?

1971 Trans Am 455HO M22; Cameo White / Blue
1971 GTO Convertible 455 M40; Starlight Black / Black
Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been collecting gas caps and oil fill caps for over 10 years to try to figure it all out. I must have 60 oil fill caps and found that chrome vlave cover cars have a chrome cap. I have seen that the large AC is very common and the small AC i have not seen too many. I have also seen a few chrome ones with the writing in a circle that you mostly see on non chrome valve cover cars. Most of the 69's i have have the chrome with the large AC. Here is the chrome with the lettering

The gas cap is another interesting topic - I have seen many styles again - the one bet winner posted is on one of my 69's that is a pontiac built car. The fremount car i have has no tab but ridges on the edges. and many of them have the one pictured above that says not vented with the tabs. I think this is one of those items that there were many manufactures and the cars could have many that are correct. I have about 50 of them and most are the non vented style with the tabs.

This was on my CA Built 69 Judge - seen it several times, and in 70 with the tabs

Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefpontiac View Post
Film? What's that?
that thin stuff that fits in my Brownie...........................

Old 02-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can say that the gas cap that I pictured came on my Dad's 69 LeMans that he purchased new and came on my Baltimore Judge as did the small AC oil cap. My Dad's LeMans was probably built in Atlanta or Baltimore, but I never checked it.

Since gas caps were easily lost, it is hard to know what the original was unless you are the original owner or know the car's history/former owners well so you can check.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found that most of the AC caps were chrome for chrome valve cover cars and if you had painted valve covers so was the cap and it seemed to be the one with the writing in a circle. But i do have one AC out of the 60 that was painted and had the ac but many more the other way. I am sure there were 5 different manufactures and we are reading way too much into it - as usuall

Old 02-12-2009, 09:35 PM

Hey guys,
Where are we going with all of this perfection stuff? At one time, I thought about building the perfect Judge. But, what the hell, I will drive mine. What does it matter in the long run? There are some folks on this board that absolutely slam the value of our Judges, hoping to keep prices down, while at the same time trying to purchase more Judges. Talk prices down, purchase, then hope prices go up. Judges are a piece of auto americana. They are what they are. I would never sell mine, especially to another GTO guy that recites the daily stock market effect of today's situation. My nut, bolt, frame off Judge will never be perfect, because under the numbers matching engine, etc. will be a "woke up hoss". Thought about spiral shocks, no, poor quality. Stickers on rear, brakes, drive shaft, firewall, etc. probably not. My car will be numbers matching everywhere but I draw the line on concourse vs. great car. My car started out as a rust free car, and still is. It will be a head turner and may rate concourse. But, when finished, I will drive it like I stole It. My 2 cents worth.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcitymusclecar View Post
I have been collecting gas caps and oil fill caps for over 10 years to try to figure it all out. I must have 60 oil fill caps and found that chrome vlave cover cars have a chrome cap. I have seen that the large AC is very common and the small AC i have not seen too many. I have also seen a few chrome ones with the writing in a circle that you mostly see on non chrome valve cover cars. Most of the 69's i have have the chrome with the large AC. Here is the chrome with the lettering
Hi,

Would you be interested in selling one of these correct oil fill caps for chrome VC's that is in good to very good condition? I don't need a mint one. Contact me via a PM if so with price.

Thanks,

Marc

Old 05-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Found a rechromed oil cap. It is more reflective than the originals, and it loses some detail. But it looks pretty nice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oil Cap--1969.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	169503  

Old 05-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOPLACE View Post
Hey guys,
Where are we going with all of this perfection stuff? At one time, I thought about building the perfect Judge. But, what the hell, I will drive mine. What does it matter in the long run? There are some folks on this board that absolutely slam the value of our Judges, hoping to keep prices down, while at the same time trying to purchase more Judges. Talk prices down, purchase, then hope prices go up. Judges are a piece of auto americana. They are what they are. I would never sell mine, especially to another GTO guy that recites the daily stock market effect of today's situation. My nut, bolt, frame off Judge will never be perfect, because under the numbers matching engine, etc. will be a "woke up hoss". Thought about spiral shocks, no, poor quality. Stickers on rear, brakes, drive shaft, firewall, etc. probably not. My car will be numbers matching everywhere but I draw the line on concourse vs. great car. My car started out as a rust free car, and still is. It will be a head turner and may rate concourse. But, when finished, I will drive it like I stole It. My 2 cents worth.
Musclecars should always be driven at WOT ..I know I do

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 10-02-2010, 08:16 AM

Has anyone seen this cap yet?

1) Is it correct?
2) Is it a decent repro?

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pop-...id=EN4693Z.jpg