Old 01-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Seat springs: Are they worn out? Strengthen? Replace?

I’m ready to buy seat cushions for my ground-up resto. I’ll be going with the ACI company for quality. I need to inquire if the original springs are worn out. In the pic, I push down on the two center springs and they sink a few inches. Is this normal? Can they or should they be strengthen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatSprings2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	471458   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatSprings1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	471459  

Old 01-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Suspended

Any spring sags whether it is a seat, engine valve, or a suspension. It is just a fact of life. Yours look about right for a 50 year old seat. Could you replace them? Yes. Should you replace them? Not necessarily. As long as they don't look like a elephant was sleeping on them for 20 years and there are no broken spring sections, they will be fine. If there are any broken ones, replace that section of spring. Spring sections are available.

The more critical part of the seat is the foam. Too many people replace the covers and don't replace the foam. This is a stupid move. The foam actually deteriorates more than the seat cover itself.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Any spring sags whether it is a seat, engine valve, or a suspension. It is just a fact of life. Yours look about right for a 50 year old seat. Could you replace them? Yes. Should you replace them? Not necessarily. As long as they don't look like a elephant was sleeping on them for 20 years and there are no broken spring sections, they will be fine. If there are any broken ones, replace that section of spring. Spring sections are available.

The more critical part of the seat is the foam. Too many people replace the covers and don't replace the foam. This is a stupid move. The foam actually deteriorates more than the seat cover itself.
I sat on these seats for 10 years when this car was a daily driver (many years ago), but I wasn’t over weight back then. I think they should be fine. Thanks.