Old 01-01-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
It's amazing how many "supposedly correct" cars on the internet have this item WRONG!
So true.

Here is another big one which I have seen incorrectly restored; How about the upper fan pulley on a 67 GTO. Many cars I have seen restored their engine and pulleys have this presented in the wrong presentation. The upper fan pulley should be plated yellow chromate zinc. It was NEVER painted black, and it was NEVER plated Pontiac blue metallic (the color of the engine) If you are attempting to restore your car to concourse quality and it will be judged this is what the judges will be looking for. Otherwise this a automatic points deduction at judging.

Here is the reason why this was done in this manner: As these engines were being assembled on the line were dropped in and the last thing to be assembled prior to either installing the fan guard or top fan guard metal protector was the upper fan pulley assembly with the belts. This pulley was plated separate from the engine being applied with paint. The factory plated these pulleys with a protective plating and were never painted as these were sat in bins waiting to be installed onto the engine AFTER the engine was painted and dropped into the car. Therefore, if you have this pulley painted black or engine color it is incorrect! I have attached a pic of this example for your viewing pleasure. Please review the pic which I have provided came directly from a GTOAA awarded "best of show" 67 GTO and the car. This car received full credit and no deductions. I'm sorry to get off the topic on the wiring, I just had to add to the comment on "supposedly correct" cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00484.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	471435  

Old 01-02-2018, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that Terry Weiner's engine?

Old 01-02-2018, 03:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofastbaby View Post
So true.

Here is another big one which I have seen incorrectly restored; How about the upper fan pulley on a 67 GTO. Many cars I have seen restored their engine and pulleys have this presented in the wrong presentation. The upper fan pulley should be plated yellow chromate zinc. It was NEVER painted black, and it was NEVER plated Pontiac blue metallic (the color of the engine) If you are attempting to restore your car to concourse quality and it will be judged this is what the judges will be looking for. Otherwise this a automatic points deduction at judging.
Hate to bust your bubble on this, but my cars fan pulley was black when I bought it off the lot new, and so was this Bloomington Gold 30,0000 mile survivor. If the judges think they know it all, they DON'T.
Matter of fact, I don't ever recall seeing one down here back in the day with zinc chromate plating on the fan pulley.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7833.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	471448  

Last edited by Old Goat 67; 01-02-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not going to post anymore pictures of my car's detailing!
Just to be safe I could plate half the fan pulley and paint the other half black.