Old 03-24-2024, 02:55 PM

Default 1980 Non Turbo 301 Engine Timing

While changing the carpets I discovered I have a car w/ the ESC, electronic spark control, unit under my console. Just for information's sake I read up on this in the manuals. It seems you can totally bypass it if it fails by placing a jumper on the connector from distributor on the engine. Jump pins A & C it said on various sources. I haven't looked at it. I assume they are labeled.

These same wires run to the connector under the console. Some source offers a small "board" to insert in the console connector to bypass the ESC module located there. Curiosity has me wondering which wires would be connected at that point to make the car run. From what I can compile from the various manuals / sources available jumping the BRN & WHT wires under the console connector should do it. They are labeled K & H in the service manual. Third from end & end wire on the right of connector.

I'm hooking the original up again but nice to know if it fails. I'd never have thought to look for an ignition item under my console. Mostly the Turbo cars have this ignition.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:16 PM

Blue one & the bare wire go to the Knock Sensor. The rest go to the 4 wire connector at the distributer. Pink is + Power, same as distributor feed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240324_185654.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	630986