Old 01-25-2021, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
I can't be sure of the storage conditions for the entire time since the restoration, but it had a frame off restoration about 6 years ago. For the last 5 years it's been in a climate controlled building. I doubt that it ever got very dusty. Another important bit of information is that it has the same discoloration on the opposite side. I was wondering about condensation/moisture problems or maybe since it's around the hardware for the seat belts and hangers that it could be corroded fasteners or something like that..

This is the other side.

That plastic around the shoulder belt mount wasn't dyed either. It is the faded blue/green color that this interior turns to after time.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 01-25-2021, 03:50 PM
Senior Chief

Pass fender is correct. Check the car over for the really important things like matching # WS block and Muncie trans. Check for correct 7040273 Carb, cast #12 heads, 12 bolt rear, JW wheels, etc. Headliner is no big deal to put a new one in. Shifter can be changed. Intake change is no big deal. Super nice car! Pics attached of curved shifter stick even one from the GM brochure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70 TA.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	559405   Click image for larger version

Name:	70 TA 3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	559406   Click image for larger version

Name:	70 TA 4.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	559407  

Old 01-25-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
Thanks. hopefully it works out.
Do you have any other pix showing the p/s fender? Like a photo of the engine compartment from the d/s of the ta.
That would show you the area I mentioned. Not the end of the world problem, but if it's wrong...it just gives you some negotiating power.
The front fenders on the 70-72 TA's are replaced with later fenders quite often.[/QUOTE]

Here's a pic of the p/s fender from the d/s. The later fender should have a raised platform with two holes for the brace, is that right?

Yes, you're totally correct on that description. You have a proper "flat" area of the fender in question.
Sorry, it looked raised in the other pix from that bad angle.

As said by other members, You must look at, or have someone look at this TA in person!
It's really the only way before spending any money. Pictures can hide so much.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4birds View Post
..The shifter stick is definitely wrong. Same Hurst curved #7244 stick is correct for both console and non-console cars.
I don't know how to put this nicely, so I'm going ot be blunt, this is incorrect.
For 1970 & 1971 only the cars with an optional console were supposed to receive the #7244 chrome stick;
All 1970/1971 non-console cars were intended to received a unique stick #7945 - BUT some mistakenly received the Camaro #7433 stick.
Starting in 1972 all cars received the #7422 chrome stick;
Starting in 1979 the #0800 stick.

That was a great catch on the intake, you are correct that the gaps clearly make it out to be an earlier unit.
I like that the car has colour matched standard belts - you don't see that too often!
I wonder what the PHS shows for the radio and belts (I'm guessing that radio cover is one of those cool 1978-1981 reproduction units).

I would suggest that even if you have someone look at it for you, you will be best served by looking at it in person before closing the deal.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-05-2021, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4birds View Post
Pass fender is correct. Check the car over for the really important things like matching # WS block and Muncie trans. Check for correct 7040273 Carb, cast #12 heads, 12 bolt rear, JW wheels, etc. Headliner is no big deal to put a new one in. Shifter can be changed. Intake change is no big deal. Super nice car! Pics attached of curved shifter stick even one from the GM brochure!
My 70 T/A had a 7040270 carb on it. It was an A/C car though...

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 02-05-2021, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
My 70 T/A had a 7040270 carb on it. It was an A/C car though...
7040270 is correct for an auto trans '70. 7040273 is the one for manual trans cars.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 02-06-2021, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
7040270 is correct for an auto trans '70. 7040273 is the one for manual trans cars.
I knew that...

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 02-06-2021, 11:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

More details on the car.

Bock is WS code but not numbers matching. Trans in M20 but not matching number. Heads are #12. Carb, don't know yet, but based on the motor not matching and the intake being a 67-68, I doubt it's matching. Rear end is 12 bolt 3:73. Wheels have no codes stamped on them and look new, so looks like repros.

Other issues, rear sway bar bushings (wrong size, slipped out), Horn, front turn indicator lights, back up lights not working. Vent fan noisy. Trunk looks very nicely restored but no spare tire, jack or liner. Headliner is original/old.

To me it looks like a pretty nice looking restoration (minus headliner) but some non-original parts.

Here's the big one. It has what seems like a valve train noise and front main seal leak. The motor was just rebuilt in June 2020 and hasn't been driven much, which I think is probably true. Seller has his mechanic trying to diagnose the noise and repair the leak, don't know what the problem is with the leak, maybe it needs a sleeve on the crank. As far as I know the crank and rods are original to the block. crank was ground .030 (main and rod) and bore is .060.

So that's the big thing right now is the motor. Just waiting to see what they think it is then decide what to do. I have a receipt/build sheet for the rebuild and I talked to the builder. It has a Melling 068 cam. Original crank and rods. also presumably original pushrods and rockers. It had a valve job with new guides and heads resurfaced.

To me, the entire motor is highly questionable at at this point. Unless they come up with a really good and believable explanation for the noise that is something minor (like an exhaust leak or something), If I were gonna buy it, I'd do so thinking it needs to be gone through completely. That means a really big discount on price or just pass on it.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Since the underside picture you posted shows that whoever restored the car re-created the red oxide e-coat primer appearance, I'll assume this is a Norwood-built car. Therefore when built it got a full body e-coat dip primer coating (Van Nuys cars did not in 1970)... including the underside of the roof. And it would be very unusual to find rust on the inside of the roof on a Norwood car, unless the rest of the car was way too far gone to be even worth restoring.
Keith
I thought the Norwood cars were black underneath, do I have that wrong?

[EDIT: I just did some research of old posts and it looks like the Norwood cars got red oxide and the Van Nuys cars got black - i had it backwards in my head]

Frank

Old 04-15-2021, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I don't know how to put this nicely, so I'm going ot be blunt, this is incorrect.
For 1970 & 1971 only the cars with an optional console were supposed to receive the #7244 chrome stick;
All 1970/1971 non-console cars were intended to received a unique stick #7945 - BUT some mistakenly received the Camaro #7433 stick.
Starting in 1972 all cars received the #7422 chrome stick;
Starting in 1979 the #0800 stick.
That could be a 7945 stick. My 70 has the curved stick but I have a 7945 that will eventually find its way onto the trans, and when you line them up side by side, the 7945 has a much straighter shot

Beautiful car jheid

Old 04-15-2021, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some pics I just took of the shifter in my car (which I didn’t pay attention to when I bought it last summer) and the #7945 shifter handle I bought 15 yr ago for my last non-console 1970 TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-15-2021, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk