Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-25-2021, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Cat_Jake View Post
Of course

Oh well, back to the drawing board!
I wouldn't say that, you're just one shortblock away from a really stout motor.
400 block with a stroker crank and those 62s makes a nice home for the 041.
It's just a harmless little snowball rolling downhill, starting to pick up speed.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your not at a dead end if you run the # 62 Heads, its just that you can’t run more then some .445”lift depending on the head gasket you run.

The stock 068 and 744 cam only have .407” lift so your golden in that regards.

Just bolting on those heads themselves even without a cam swap is worth 10% more hp if you also run a factory iron Q-jet intake.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 01-25-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Your not at a dead end if you run the # 62 Heads, its just that you can’t run more then some .445”lift depending on the head gasket you run.

The stock 068 and 744 cam only have .407” lift so your golden in that regards.

Just bolting on those heads themselves even without a cam swap is worth 10% more hp if you also run a factory iron Q-jet intake.
Yeah, so that writes off the k2801, its probably too much lift ~0.444" on the exhaust.... Looks like its a K2800 or a full engine rebuild hahahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
I wouldn't say that, you're just one shortblock away from a really stout motor.
400 block with a stroker crank and those 62s makes a nice home for the 041.
It's just a harmless little snowball rolling downhill, starting to pick up speed.

'... do you guys heard that low rumbling noise? Nah, I'm sure its fine'

Come see what I'm currently designing! - JakeSmith.de

Old 01-25-2021, 06:19 PM

Hey Jake - Forgive me for sidetracking your post, but what it's like driving big Detroit iron in Warwick? I imagine there are a fair number of old American cars in GB, but you have to stand out in a crowd. Nice car. Good luck with your project.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fowke View Post
Hey Jake - Forgive me for sidetracking your post, but what it's like driving big Detroit iron in Warwick? I imagine there are a fair number of old American cars in GB, but you have to stand out in a crowd. Nice car. Good luck with your project.
No worries In a word - entertaining!

My daily is an E38 BMW 740i, so I'm fairly used to driving 2m wide cars - Warwick is an ancient city, so some of the roads are literally medieval in width, there has been some close calls. Generally though, the steering box is new, so the old girl drives nicely, so its not too bad. My only complaint was the 4 drum brakes - that's in the process of being addressed with a 4 disc set up

The West Midlands is the UK's Michigan, so there is a big love for all things car here. I know a fair few people with 60s Mustangs and Camaros - Nothing beats a Pontiac though!!! One of the nice things is that they are pretty rare here (hence the endless search for viable parts!!!) - You don't seen many about, so people go wild for Shonks when we roll into a cars and coffee!

Old 01-27-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I know this isn't the right choice really, I'm just wondering how awful its going to be... The car only gets used for joy rides, so I can tolerate a rough idle and having terrible road manners. The choppy exhaust is something Im excited for.

The long term plan is to go to a T56 Magnum and push the gearing to something in the mid 3s, but thats a few years down the line.

There is a EngineTech 068 clone on Rockauto thats pretty cheap and is a tempting half way....
Even the 068 may be too much for your combination. I would look for something closer to the 067.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another big concideration here is what general shape is the motor in?

If it's never been rebuilt top to bottom then the first thing I would do, and even pay for doing if need be is to do a leak down test!

If the results come in that leakage is 8 to 10% or greater then your fooling yourself big time by installing a bigger Cam.

If your simple request is for greater authority out the end of the tail pipes then install louder mufflers!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 01-28-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Another big concideration here is what general shape is the motor in?

If it's never been rebuilt top to bottom then the first thing I would do, and even pay for doing if need be is to do a leak down test!

If the results come in that leakage is 8 to 10% or greater then your fooling yourself big time by installing a bigger Cam.

If your simple request is for greater authority out the end of the tail pipes then install louder mufflers!
No need to pay, I can just do a leak down test at home Its on my list of things to do, the car runs great, but I did notice that the exhaust temps on the #1 cylinder exhaust port seem to be lower than the rest, so there might be something up there.

Don't get me wrong, the lope of a good cam isnt the only thing I'm after, more power would also be nice!

Old 01-28-2021, 11:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
but I did notice that the exhaust temps on the #1 cylinder exhaust port seem to be lower than the rest, so there might be something up there.
Using an IR gun I found that exhaust temps varied a bit. The angle of the gun and the exact location would cause the temp to move around. However, I found one cylinder to be way off. A compression test indicated a problem.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 01-29-2021, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooski View Post
Using an IR gun I found that exhaust temps varied a bit. The angle of the gun and the exact location would cause the temp to move around. However, I found one cylinder to be way off. A compression test indicated a problem.
I was hoping that the variation might be a result of the cold water from the water pump hitting cylinder 1 first... But yep, compression and leak down test is probably in order