THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think the new era GTO will be collectible. It definitely has a following, the price was in line with a 2002 Ram Air TA and the value seems to be holding. In TX nice examples seem to be in the 15 -20k range.

I leased mine new for 25k and the payoff was 12k. My dad paid it off and still has it. I think it has 42k on it now.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Much maligned and underrated, I still believe the 04-06 will find a niche market when they're about 20 years old. still only 14-16 YO at this point. the low mile well preserved ones are asking as much as $25,000, but asking, and selling are not the same, obviously.

I tend to be biased because I bought mine with 162 miles on it in 2006, it still puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it, almost 15 years and 140,000 miles later. The only thing I dislike about it is the stock rubber strut bushings and bearings need replacing about every 60,000 miles, my car has had it done twice, and is in need of it again. The front suspension, while working well, just has some engineering shortcomings as far as durability, and ability to hold front end alignment settings in the long term.

I believe I'm going to use the poly style bushings this time to see if that cures the quick deterioration of the rubber components. Lots of these cars were wrecked, and then cannibalized for the engines and transmissions. I've never seen any rust outs on them so far.

The leather interior also needs a lot of conditioning and care, especially if the car sits in the sun most of the time.

These 2 items are about the only things I've found that are major flaws in 15 years of ownership.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-27-2020, 03:03 PM
Suspended

As much as I like the G8 and both the G8 and newer GTO's have a following, the following is dropping off and I do not see them hanging around much longer due to the demise of Holden. The big problem is the availability of getting parts that exists even right now will give those cars a very early death.

Last edited by Chief of the 60's; 12-27-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:37 PM
Suspended

I don't see many of these cars as collectibles in 20 years.

First, everyone is assuming there will be gas to run them - not sure we will with all the regulatory expectations in the elimination of gasoline as we know it. No doubt you can alter the engine IF some form of pump gas is available. So if you have to convert the engine over to an E-85- propane, CNG, or electric, will people be willing to do this and how will it affect value, let alone originality and the car's collectible status?

Get ready for Carbon Credits. No guess on how this will work, either on the fuel or the car itself. This will most likely discourage people from buying these older cars and driving them. I am sure it will be a sliding scale with the guys who have modified gas engines getting horrible gas mileage and pumping excess carbon and other poisonous gasses into the atmosphere paying the most.

Parts sources. Many of these cars are made with a ton of plastic, rubber hoses, sensors, and computers. They deteriorate just setting about from humidity/moisture unless those who purchase them as investments plan on putting them into climate controlled storage lockers, warehouses, or other means. Will the restoration supply industry come up with all the parts needed to rebuild/restore such a car when some items will be specific to the make/model/year and justifying a short run may leave the rebuilder/restorer having to improvise or hope to find NOS. Will the aftermarket industry also be penalized by carbon credits when producing and offering those items that contribute to atmosphere pollutants like radical cams, big carbs, high compression pistons, exhaust systems, etc.?

With the trend to install an LS motor & OD transmission and electronics into everything because HP & laptop adjustability (with turbo's making a comeback) is king with the up and coming collector/car enthusiast generation, will anyone care if the driveline is original and will it actually hurt resale value?

Nope, I don't see the speculation in choosing what future cars will be collectables as I think 20-30 years from now the world will be a completely different place with computerized & self driven cars where you can just sit back and ride, watch a movie, get on the internet, chat with anyone around the world and not have to deal with the worries of actually sitting behind a steering wheel and using your brain to make decisions which control the car within the busy lanes of everyday traffic. And for those who insist on manually driving their cars, insurance rates will sky rocket due to the liabilities of doing such.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:54 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
I don't see many of these cars as collectibles in 20 years.

First, everyone is assuming there will be gas to run them - not sure we will with all the regulatory expectations in the elimination of gasoline as we know it. No doubt you can alter the engine IF some form of pump gas is available. So if you have to convert the engine over to an E-85- propane, CNG, or electric, will people be willing to do this and how will it affect value, let alone originality and the car's collectible status?

Get ready for Carbon Credits. No guess on how this will work, either on the fuel or the car itself. This will most likely discourage people from buying these older cars and driving them. I am sure it will be a sliding scale with the guys who have modified gas engines getting horrible gas mileage and pumping excess carbon and other poisonous gasses into the atmosphere paying the most.

Parts sources. Many of these cars are made with a ton of plastic, rubber hoses, sensors, and computers. They deteriorate just setting about from humidity/moisture unless those who purchase them as investments plan on putting them into climate controlled storage lockers, warehouses, or other means. Will the restoration supply industry come up with all the parts needed to rebuild/restore such a car when some items will be specific to the make/model/year and justifying a short run may leave the rebuilder/restorer having to improvise or hope to find NOS. Will the aftermarket industry also be penalized by carbon credits when producing and offering those items that contribute to atmosphere pollutants like radical cams, big carbs, high compression pistons, exhaust systems, etc.?

With the trend to install an LS motor & OD transmission and electronics into everything because HP & laptop adjustability (with turbo's making a comeback) is king with the up and coming collector/car enthusiast generation, will anyone care if the driveline is original and will it actually hurt resale value?

Nope, I don't see the speculation in choosing what future cars will be collectables as I think 20-30 years from now the world will be a completely different place with computerized & self driven cars where you can just sit back and ride, watch a movie, get on the internet, chat with anyone around the world and not have to deal with the worries of actually sitting behind a steering wheel and using your brain to make decisions which control the car within the busy lanes of everyday traffic. And for those who insist on manually driving their cars, insurance rates will sky rocket due to the liabilities of doing such.
Jim...…

A Fiero just sold for 90 grand > https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctio...-record-90000/

Kinda takes a little steam out of all that typing you just did in your post.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know how many people here are Star Trek fans but in one of the later movies the opening sequence has a young James T Kirk driving his step-fathers C1 Corvette over a cliff while trying to evade the law. I figure if thats possible in the 23rd century, there's still hope yet.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 12-27-2020, 08:07 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Jim...…

A Fiero just sold for 90 grand > https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctio...-record-90000/

Kinda takes a little steam out of all that typing you just did in your post.
No, not really. I guess you didn't get the gist of the post - which is future investments. How does a "today" sale equate to one 20-30 years from now? I guess it takes a little steam out of your smirk.

Some people have more money than brains. Ever been to the NPT Car Museum in Newport, Rhode Island? It has approx. 75 cars in it. They are all privately owned by assorted persons. These investors buy the high dollar, mostly foreign exotics and rare restored/original American cars, and then put them into a"museum" where they make money on entrance fees, and no doubt use the cars for tax right-offs. They do not drive them, thus the museum & display set-up. To drive them would lose their value. That is where a car like that will go, not driven on the road racking up miles.

You should visit the museum, it's a good one and then you will better understand - the last produced Ford Pinto might pull 90K to some nut who sees it as an investment if it existed. To say that it will be a good pick 20-30 years from now is speculation and trying to predict the future markets. I would not give you a dime for the last built 0-mileage Ford Pinto anymore than I would throw 90K for a dud of a car, the Fiero - I remember them new and they were a horrible design and few wanted one. They were associated with engine fires and cars burning to the ground - but I guess you would not be aware of that 30 plus years later if you were not around when they were new.

How do you feel about a low production 0- mileage Pontiac 1000 with the rare optional sport package? - The Pontiac 1000 Sport Package was offered for a little more fun behind the wheel, equipping black sport sideview mirrors, unique front and rear shock valving, a larger front stabilizer bar, an added rear stabilizer bar, cast aluminum wheels, a black rear spoiler, and sport stripes down the flanks.

Now there would be a real 90K investment in today's market that would only increase in value 20-30 years from now.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:41 PM
Suspended

An '84 Fiero pulled over 60 grand and one of the last cars Steve Ames bought was a Chevy Chevette that he paid $12,500.00 for.

Jus' sayin'

Old 12-27-2020, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I absolutely love the hardtop Solstice. While it lacks the mystique of the musclecar era, it looks very cool.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think the WS6 6-spd manual tranny Firebirds, especially the later LS motored cars with the less common colors (like Sunset Orange Metallic). I think opinions are mixed on whether the convertibles will be worth more than the T-Top cars.

I think the Solstice GXPs (especially with manual trannies) and all Solstice Coupes will be sought after.

For full disclosure, I bought a Sunset Orange WS6 6-spd T/A convertible about 15 years ago. I was looking for a GXP couple with a manual tranny a couple of years ago, but bought a Sky Redline with the manual instead.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:43 AM

Inverse?

Old 12-28-2020, 09:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A solstice GXP hard top is extremely rare- I want to say there were less than 10 made?

That or a GXP G8 would be the best ‘last’ Pontiac in my opinion

Old 12-28-2020, 09:59 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
A solstice GXP hard top is extremely rare- I want to say there were less than 10 made?

That or a GXP G8 would be the best ‘last’ Pontiac in my opinion
While they are rare, they made them for 2 years, 2009 and 2010. A friend of mine who recently passed had a 2009 Turbo GXP. 2010 is the rare one with I believe 200 built.

There was some TV show about rookie road course racers that exclusively used Solstice coupes. It was cool watching about 10 (or more) of these coupes at a time running on a road course.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll throw this in the conversation. 1994, 25th anniversary TA.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to clear up the confusion about how many 2009-10 Solstice GXP (turbo) coupes were made there were a total of 1266 coupes made. That includes 102 2009 preproduction cars that were sold to the public, and twelve 2010 preproduction cars that were also sold. Of that total there were 860 turbo coupes made, so actually more turbo cars were made than N/A coupes.

The harder info to come by is how many of the GXP coupes were made with a manual trans? I would have to go thru the spread sheet that one of the original coupe owners put together to find that out. I do know that 364 Manual transmission coupes were made, but that includes the non turbo models.

I may be a bit biased as here is a picture of my Brazen Orange 2009 N/A Coupe.

Just turned over 90,000 miles before I put it away for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lighthouse.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	557016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Front.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	557017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Side.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	557018  

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 12-28-2020, 11:32 AM
Suspended

I was referring to total coupes not specific trim levels. After all, this is a Pontiac site, not a MoPar site where they split hairs down to how many were built with 78 ft./lbs. torque on the lug nuts vs. how many had 80 ft./lbs. of torque.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I was referring to total coupes not specific trim levels. After all, this is a Pontiac site, not a MoPar site where they split hairs down to how many were built with 78 ft./lbs. torque on the lug nuts vs. how many had 80 ft./lbs. of torque.
No Problem Chief, I was just pointing out there were than just a couple hundred turbo coupes made.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 12-28-2020, 12:48 PM
Suspended

Old 12-28-2020, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife wants a Solstice coupe, and I found 2 of them for sale fairly close to us. The one has only 7400 miles, but is the base engine/automatic (fine for my wife to drive), guy wants $25,000 for it, any thoughts on value ??

According to high book value he's too high by about $14,000, they aren't recognized as valuable cars, just used cars, right at this point in time.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-28-2020, 01:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

None. The dressed up Camaro they called the TA and the Australian "GTO" may keep some value due to the performance aspect, but the rest of the crap "Pontiac" made in this time period is forgettable.