THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The thing that led me to buy my late production 2005 GTO (delivered to dealer Thanksgiving week 2005), was stopping at the local Pontiac dealer during this exact time, between Christmas and New Years 2005, because I was off work during that time. I stopped to look at the new 2006 Solstice. It was parked outside in front of the show room, during this week 2005. So I know they were being displayed for sale at this time at dealerships.

I ended up taking the Yellowjacket 2005 GTO for a test drive, and later ended up purchasing my car in the third week of February 2006. They called me a couple of times, offering to drop the price way below sticker using dealer credits. That finally enticed me to come back to the dealership, drive the car again, and after much number crunching, and deliberation, plus some serious negotiating, I purchased my first new car in mid February.

I know that this time between Christmas and New Years is notoriously slow at car dealerships, having worked at so many of them during my time as a line mechanic. The Solstice was placed near the main street in Springfield Ohio to generate foot traffic to the showroom. Which it did, and I ended up buying my first new car ever, about 2 months later.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-31-2020, 03:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
You and Stuart are both right, and I was agreeing with Stuart's position..

My comment was directed at someone claiming that the Solstice is just a rebadged Sky.
OK. Are both cars essentially the same? Was the basic body made for both brands and then distributed to each? Same driveline offerings?

I have not seen many of the Saturn versions, but they seem to have a little more flash - ie chrome. I see more of the Solstice cars. I got a ride in a friends which I think had a Toyota (?) engine and manual trans. It was too cramped for me and like most foreign sports cars, the pedals were far too close together and my size 14 shoe would be pushing in the clutch/brake/gas all at the same time. I really wanted to purchase one until I sat in it. Always envisioned it as the AC Cobra of Pontiac with a transplanted 455CI/4-speed and side pipes. I've seen them with the LS conversions.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Has anyone mentioned the Pontiac 2 + 2 that was the answer to Chevy's Monte Carlo SS? I always like them, but have only seen 2 in all my years.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’ve been looking for a 2+2.... almost traded my 87 GTA for one in college. Should have cause I ruined the GTA.

Asking prices for those are pretty damn high for nice ones but I don’t know if the sell. Great looking car in my opinion

Old 12-31-2020, 04:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
You and Stuart are both right, and I was agreeing with Stuart's position..

My comment was directed at someone claiming that the Solstice is just a rebadged Sky.
How about you post up a link where your info comes from.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:12 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
Has anyone mentioned the Pontiac 2 + 2 that was the answer to Chevy's Monte Carlo SS? I always like them, but have only seen 2 in all my years.
Unfortunately the 305 all but killed the desirability for that car. Trunk space would be another.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Solstice production numbers from the Solstice forum: https://www.solsticeforum.com/thread...-color.126161/

Saturn Sky production numbers from the Sky forum: https://www.skyroadster.com/threads/...numbers.40522/

Old 12-31-2020, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
OK. Are both cars essentially the same? Was the basic body made for both brands and then distributed to each? Same driveline offerings?
The platforms and drivetrains were the same, but the body panels were different (I assume they probably shared some components like door handles, etc.)

Old 12-31-2020, 07:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Solstice production numbers from the Solstice forum: https://www.solsticeforum.com/thread...-color.126161/

Saturn Sky production numbers from the Sky forum: https://www.skyroadster.com/threads/...numbers.40522/
Quote:
The platforms and drivetrains were the same, but the body panels were different (I assume they probably shared some components like door handles, etc.)
I was waiting for your buddy Champ to answer as it was he that took shots at me (which were not edited nor deleted by you) but your 2nd post as well as my post regarding the plant they were built at backs up what I have stated.

I never said PMD did not design it, I stated who built it. Plenty of makes and models designed by one and built by another. As someone had mentioned, the Pontiac Vibe was a Toyota Matrix built by Toyota. So, is the Vibe a Pontiac? Not in my book.

One more curve to the Sky/Solstice….. The Sky looks more like a Pontiac product than the Solstice. The chrome split grille and the trim on the tail lamps are just 2 of them.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:12 PM
Suspended

Quote:
OK, I have never really studied either, nor seen the two side by side. I knew there were some differences of course, but figured the basic exterior body panels of the car were the same with the noticeable differences in the grille and tail lights.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I was waiting for your buddy Champ to answer as it was he that took shots at me (which were not edited nor deleted by you) but your 2nd post as well as my post regarding the plant they were built at backs up what I have stated.

I never said PMD did not design it, I stated who built it. Plenty of makes and models designed by one and built by another. As someone had mentioned, the Pontiac Vibe was a Toyota Matrix built by Toyota. So, is the Vibe a Pontiac? Not in my book.

One more curve to the Sky/Solstice….. The Sky looks more like a Pontiac product than the Solstice. The chrome split grille and the trim on the tail lamps are just 2 of them.
Sorry I didn't respond quickly enough for you.

The production figures were accurate and it's very simple to find them. It appears that you didn't know that Pontiac had built and sold over 21,000 Solstice's in 2006 before Saturn sold it's first rebadged Sky, Opel sold it's first rebadged GT or Daewoo sold it's first rebadged G2X.

I simply posted facts.

GM built the Solstice, Sky, Opel GT and Daewoo G2X at the GM plant in Wilmington, DE. All the Kappa platform cars were built in the same location - GM did this for solid economic reasons - just like they did with the Firebird and Camaro at the GM Sainte-Thérèse Assembly Plant in Quebec.

Split grill on the Sky? You need to look at these cars again...

The Solstice has a right and a left grille (that's why it's called a "split" grille), similar to the other Pontiac models produced in 2006 (GP, Grand Am, Bonneville) with a split grille.

The Sky, G2X and the GT have a single grille opening with nearly identical single chrome bar grilles. None of them have a "split" grille.

The Pontiac Solstice is the only one of the 4 Kappa cars to have distinctive front end styling - and the best looking (in my opinion - your results may vary) front end of the bunch.

Carry on.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
OK, I have never really studied either, nor seen the two side by side. I knew there were some differences of course, but figured the basic exterior body panels of the car were the same with the noticeable differences in the grille and tail lights.
Actually no exterior body panels directly swap between the Solstice and any of the Saturn/Opel/Daewoo versions of the Kappa's (the other 3 share many if not all external body panels with minor trim changes)

They do all share most inner body panels but not all.

I also do not see a "Split Grill" on the Saturn Sky. But I have seen that point of view posted a few times in the past on this forum. I always just agreed to disagree and chalked it up to personal preference.

I am a bit Biased as I own both a 2009 coupe, and a 2006 Mallet Solstice with a LS2 and tremec 6-speed. While I don't think either will be worth big $$$ in my life time, I enjoy driving both. And I consider the Mallet to be a modern version of a dealer tuner car from the 60-70's.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)