Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any home security camera gurus?

I'm looking for some new home security cameras

My requirements:

1. Indoor ... pan, tilt
2. P2P capable
3. Non-Chinese if possible
4. Remote viewable (phone app etc. for long distance viewing)
5. No recurring charges for any kind of live viewing app.

I have two chinese P2P IP cameras now ... but the company appears to be moving to cloud systems only (easier to spy on) and no longer seems to produce cameras compatible with my other cameras. And I'm just not big on cameras that have to go through a central server for me to view them.

Seems like a lot of companies are moving away from P2P because it's hard for them to monetize since it's straight connection from view app to camera.

Thanks

Old 06-15-2020, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 6 Amcrest cameras (most outdoors in various spots in front, back and side yard) and they’re P2P. Company out of Texas but undoubtedly not USA made. Works with app. They offer a cloud system but I don’t want/need that. I believe the company was Foscam previously (merged? iDK).

Old 06-16-2020, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

At least they have a good English based support system.

Old 06-16-2020, 03:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, looks like I'm just going to have to let the chinese spy on me. There is just nothing for a reasonable price that compares. Appears to me that the majority of the "cloud" cams use P2P if the cloud option is not used ... at least they setup the exact same way, don't need port forwarding or any of that.

I did find a German outfit .. supposedly all manufactured in Germany, specializes in P2P camera, but it's about $170 for a camera that does what the $30 chinese cameras do. Japan is not making anything other than high end stuff these days.

I think the Amcrest was formally Foscam, seem to be as good as any outfit out there and at least they have in-country contact and support.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 16 camera system from "Swann". I've had it coming up on 3 years. 1080p crystal clear on a 65" TV. Works great, 2TB hard drive so it stores quite a bit.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
I have a 16 camera system from "Swann". I've had it coming up on 3 years. 1080p crystal clear on a 65" TV. Works great, 2TB hard drive so it stores quite a bit.
I have been wanting to do this for a long time. With 16 cameras I am guessing they are indoor and outdoor. I want to get a system and try to do my property, a little bit more than half an acre. I am going to look this stuff up. Thanks, Marc

Old 06-17-2020, 04:23 PM

In youtube there is good guides how to make use of old cameras from phones ect. to DIY your own system and open source apps.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejudge View Post
I have been wanting to do this for a long time. With 16 cameras I am guessing they are indoor and outdoor. I want to get a system and try to do my property, a little bit more than half an acre. I am going to look this stuff up. Thanks, Marc
I don't have any camera's in my house. They are outside and in the garage. I don't think I want footage of me going to the refrigerator in the middle of the night.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Basically the only reason I need them is to check on the place when I'm away on vacation, so remote access is a primary concern. That Swann stuff looks nice ... and appears to be a basically a US or at least English speaking company.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Basically the only reason I need them is to check on the place when I'm away on vacation, so remote access is a primary concern. That Swann stuff looks nice ... and appears to be a basically a US or at least English speaking company.
That's what I purchased this system for. I bought a house in Florida, I live in NJ. I could keep an eye on the house remotely. I would recommend this system. You obviously need internet at the place where the camera's are.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:20 PM

What do you guys use for infrared detection with security cameras? Cameras I have really have no night vision that is useful. Two different brands but not real expensive.

Don

Old 06-18-2020, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The cheap cameras I bought have IR capability out to about 30 feet .... they are indoor cameras, outdoor usually have more powerful IR lights.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GTO82 View Post
What do you guys use for infrared detection with security cameras? Cameras I have really have no night vision that is useful. Two different brands but not real expensive.

Don
The Swann system I bought has good IR night vision.