Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:24 PM

Default Anyone familiar with ATV's on this forum?

Just curious if anyone is "intimately" involved with the hobby that could maybe help me out with an issue.

Thank you!

1970 GTO (someday )
Old 04-30-2020, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What's the issue?

Old 04-30-2020, 08:19 PM

Hi George. I can't help but to suggest don't forget to look on youtube for diy stuff. In the last few years, I've found it to be helpful though it does take some time to weed through it.

I have to say the repair is usually the easy part, but getting to it is the hard part.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what's the issue. all engines operate about the same. start with the basics. Fuel, Spark, Compression.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bring on the question, many of us here are just full of advice. Well, that's what I choose to call it.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged2227 View Post
Just curious if anyone is "intimately" involved with the hobby that could maybe help me out with an issue.

Thank you!
I can tell you this, be careful buying a project for cheap. Often, parts and savings you think you’re getting can escalate rapidly over the price of a nicer running one.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

stay away from the Chinese knock off's. mao tao etc.. whats the question?

Old 05-01-2020, 11:39 AM

Thanks... I have an old work horse- 2000 Yamaha Kodiak 4x4 400. Has been a great machine and is a beast! When the CDI went, it caused a waterfall of other issues/ discoveries. With the replaced CDI, it started and idled fine, and if it was "floored", it would rev up appropriately... Immediately after you let off the throttle and tried to get into the throttle again, it would "pop" through the carb.. almost like a hitting a rev limiter. Last time I had this happen, it was a coil. So, I replaced the coil. Then the starter wasn't catching.. Found the starter clutch wore out, so that was replaced.. Now I tried to start it, with a fully charged battery, and it barely spun once, then the battery cable going to the starter got hot enough to melt the covering. I am thinking it's a bad ground somewhere.. Any other ideas on what it could be? There's good compression, valves are working/ adjusted properly, there's spark....

Trust me- I have enough projects (currently restoring a New England sold and lived-its-life here 1970 Buick GS= nothing but rot!!!!) to buy another!!! LOL.

Thank you

1970 GTO (someday )
Old 05-01-2020, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, could be high resistance in a ground connection, but most times when the ground is bad the starer acts as though the battery is weak, as it's not able to transfer the amount of amperage needed to spin the starter. They don't usually cause the cables to get so hot enough to melt the insulation off.

I would just venture a guess that the starter bushings are bad and the armature is dragging on the fields. It could also be a bad armature (shorted) and most small starters have permanent magnets, instead of wound fields.

Since you put a new Bendix in it, were the bushing and brushes checked?

Just guesses from general automotive repair for half a century, I don't claim to be an expert on ATVs.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-01-2020, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will it start with the rope start? ( If it has one).

Was the starter motor replaced or just the starter clutch? I assume if it has a starter clutch that it is a sprag clutch, rare to see those go out.

If the starter motor was replaced I would suspect that first.

Otherwise sounds kind of it like it has a dead short to ground somewhere to generate that kind of heat in the cable that fast. Sure no cable lugs are touching something they shouldn't?

If it's anything like my quad then things are pretty tightly packed in there, easy to pinch a cable etc.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:27 PM

I think I found the problem... Well, a few, actually... I got out of work early, came home and pulled the racks and plastics. I then found and cleaned new ground points for all of the grounds. There was an antifreeze leak- which upon removing the water pump, found a crack in the housing. I then was forced to remove the flywheel cover (that houses the stator). As soon as the cover was off, I tested the starter.... She spun effortlessly with no heat build up. I think something wasn't seated right when I put the flywheel cover/ stator back on.. I had to order a new cover so I will update when she is "running" (or me pushing this damn thing off a cliff!!!).

Thank for the replies thus far!

1970 GTO (someday )
Old 06-08-2020, 10:46 AM

I got this machine all back together. Now, I have this issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhqDHgCnUsA

New coil, plug, proper gaps on valves/ plug. No vacuum leaks, I have rejetted the carb numerous times.. Now it is "popping" out of the carb. At 0.17 and 0.50, when I open the throttle wide (and keep it open wide), it rev's up appropriately, then breaks apart and pops through the carb...

???

1970 GTO (someday )
Old 06-08-2020, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have a service manual for it make sure the float level is absolutely correct. If it has an enrichment device .. usually a lever on the left handgrip that moves a plunger in the carb ... make sure the cable is free, that the plunger will seat properly and that the oring seal for the plunger is in place.

I wouldn't think changing jets from stock would be necessary unless it's got a modified exhaust ... usually the idle mixture is all that would need adjustment.

Check that the carb slide moves freely ... it should snap shut nicely.

Make sure the carb diaphragm is in good shape.

AND ... make sure it has good fresh fuel in it before you do anything else.