Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cub cadet rider

Cutting the grass today my 42” Cub died. It’s got one of those hydro type transmissions. I noticed it was losing speed in forward, so had to give it more and more pedal. This happened in maybe a minutes time. I stopped and went into reverse, which was fine, but would barely crawl in forward. I shut it down and checked the belt and linkage which was fine. Started it back up and it went about 3’ and now won’t move at all. Sound familiar to anyone?
I fear that it’s a seal in the hydro trans

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How old is it?

I bought one new last year- 46" with the twin FI engine. Fortunately I bought it from a dealer and not through Home Depot because it is getting it's engine replaced under warranty. Was great when new then started blowing smoke and wouldn't throttle up smoothly. I thought the FI was messed up and it was running rich so they replaced the O2 sensor and it still blew smoke.

I also think the transmission is now "looser" than when new.. after only a couple months use. I read these "transmissions" were a weak link and could not be repaired so I don't like hearing your story!

Old 06-21-2020, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well good and bad news.
Bad news is I’m a dumb azz. I checked the belt, but I was looking as the drive belt for the blades!
My neighbor who works on mowers looked at it and saw immediately that the main drive belt was off the pulley.
Looks like I’ll just need a new belt, and it took out the plastic cooling fan in the process. Looks like it was wrapped around the fan for a little bit, which is why it was still moving at all for a little while
Thanks for looking!

Old 06-22-2020, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm happier too!

Glad you figured it out and wasn't a broken trans.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmm. Timely.
Been looking at CC to replace my 10yr old 42" Troy Bilt.
Had to replace belts last spring. Springs and pulley stops on deck this spring along with stretched deck belt.
Running slower in forward vs reverse since last month. May need cable from axle to deck?
Now height adjuster loosens up after 15-20 minutes. Cant get level no matter how its adjusted. Probly from grazing tree trunks and going from 30% grade to 45-60%grade on front ditch.
Deck belt already stretched.
Not complaining, I have no mercy using it on 1.5 acres. Engine starts up and runs great, just tired of messing with the dam deck.
Neib has a 2yr old 42" CC. Noticed he can mow twice the speed of other niebs 42" JD,
which I would like to mow in half the time too.
He told me The CC best he ever had but it chucked a deck belt this spring and new one already stretched. He has no mercy on his either. Mows pedal to the floor. Maybe that's the problem?

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-24-2020, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My CC is about 12 years old if I remember right. It came with the house I’m living in.
Besides doing my lawn, I take it over to my rental properties to mow, so it gets a lot of use. The property I was cutting at when the belt gave out is over an acre of grass and has huge ruts in the lawn from working on the house and driving the Bobcat around. I’m surprised it’s lasted this long.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks.
Wonder if newer models are like the JD's. Not built as tuff.
Was gonna wait see niebs CC makes past 3 yrs. Last whatever brands he had only lasted bout that long.
Doesn't maintain, clean deck or sharpen blades, etc.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100