Old 06-13-2020, 01:47 PM

Default GTO brake repairs

Replacing my brake master cylinder on my '64 GTO due to corrosion inside cylinder and not wanting to release brake pressure after applying brakes. All 4 of my brakes were HOT after a short drive yesterday; pedal was really firm and didn't travel very far with very little braking action. Will be redoing front brakes too. Any insider tips on brakes and bleeding them?

Old 06-14-2020, 01:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless you are hung up on originality this would be a good time to convert to a dual master cylinder like the 1967's.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you plan on keeping the car for a few years & also retaining the single m/c, you could get the bore stainless steel sleeved.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If the master was that corroded, you have a good amount of moisture in the system. Everything else is probably just as bad. AT LEAST replace the wheel cylinders and give the lines a good once over and flush the system and get good new fluid into the whole system. That will take a lot of bleeding but needs to be done. THEN make sure your system is sealed well. Moisture got in there somehow and shouldn't have.

Old 06-14-2020, 01:31 PM

Actually, starting to believe it is time for conversion to disc brakes. Wanted to do it anyway and now might be the time.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of kits out there for reasonable price. My 64 has 69-72 GM stuff on it, stops very well. If your thinking about it, now would be the time. Scarebird on here has bracket available so you don't have to put spindles on it.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
Lots of kits out there for reasonable price. My 64 has 69-72 GM stuff on it, stops very well. If your thinking about it, now would be the time. Scarebird on here has bracket available so you don't have to put spindles on it.
What are some of the better kits out there for the money? I see a lot of Wilwood brake kits out there but I'm not familiar with the other ones.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can source the kits from used cars, if you want to take the time to find it all. I believe I have a list of parts needed if you want.
Check eBay, lots on there. The Wilwood ones are expensive and usually they use parts that are hard to get locally. If you have any 69-72 GM A body with disc brakes
you can steal the parts from, Parts cars I mean. Contact Inline tube or any Brake company. The Right Stuff. ETC, Ames probably has kits as well.
Most do require the use of 15 inch wheels to allow clearance around the calipers. As mention Scarebird on here makes Brackets so one can use the original spindle.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:49 PM

I put the Inline kit on my Firebird, love it. For my GTO I purchased basically the same kit. Top end is different but wheel side is the same.