Old 06-27-2020, 09:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Floor Plugs

My multi-year project is getting more attention than ever - lately. I had new floors (main cabin and trunk) installed and put cardboard to protect them. Now I notice that there are the drain holes and I maybe have one plug floating around.

I noticed that there are metal and rubber plugs... Not sure if there is a preferred method of plugging these holes.

Thoughts?

Old 06-27-2020, 06:53 PM
Senior Chief

Pontiac used a combination of rubber plugs and metal plugs, the latter more like plates than plugs. The rubber plugs were used in small holes and varied in design based on the part number and size. However, the “plug” end that went into the hole was the same with the plug being a tight push-fit that sealed the hole.

The metal plates are used to cover the oblong holes. The plates were installed from the inside and screwed into the sheet metal. I run a thin bead of body sealer around the hole before I install the plate. You stated you had some floor/trunk work done so I’m not sure if they are the same as OEM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1964-gt0-part-2_20852136156_o.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	543596   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	543597  

Old 06-30-2020, 07:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker