Old 06-09-2020, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default ‘66 GTO dash control graphics

The lettering on my unit is pretty crummy. On the lower control the word “ Cooler” is gone as is the double pointed arrow. “Deice” is missing the “De”, etc. Haven’t found any reproduction of these items available. Brainstorming a way to recreate this. First problem seems to be disassembling the diecast piece to gain access to the pieces that have the wording. The two main pieces of this unit seem to be riveted together. It appears the end of the rivet could be drilled out enough to separate the two pieces so I could remove the two strips with the lettering. I'm guessing these are clear plastic strips with white letters printed on the back side, but hard to tell. Maybe I could then use a photo, picture in owner's manual, etc. to have a sign company, etc. to recreate the lettering on vinyl to stick over the old damaged pieces. Challenge then would be reassembling the front and rear pieces that were originally riveted together in a way that they wouldn't break apart when the slide controls were moved left to right. Has anybody tried this?

Old 06-10-2020, 02:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have a picture?
I have an old panel somewhere, maybe it has what you need?

Old 06-10-2020, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I assume you're talking about the AC-Heater Controls? Since the non-AC controls have the lettering cast into the faceplate.
Whereas the AC unit has plastic inserts. You are correct in as far as both units are factory riveted and also have fold-over tabs.

The plastic lettering could be restored and or replaced with better-used pieces, as I too am unaware of any repro parts for this.
I would look for a unit to replace the whole assembly and/or practice on before tackling yours.

JM2C

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-26-2024 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default ‘66 GTO dash control graphics

Yes, it’s the a/c control unit I’m asking about. Here is a pic of mine showing how much of the lettering is faint or missing. If you have one with good lettering, I’d be interested in buying it. Maybe you could send some pics of yours o me via PM or post them here as a reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCACC217-C853-4A4E-B1C4-0549E534E0FC.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	542174  

Old 06-13-2020, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

MY '66 CONTROLS,