The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-21-2020, 07:55 AM

Default 70 GTO gone trunk

My 1970 GTO trunk is rusted out! Where canI get braces and panels at a reasonable price yet good material. I will also need wheel tubs , this is all for the rear. Thanks for the help. Jciwolf

Old 05-22-2020, 02:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a one piece pan for the '68 from Tamraz. It was very good quality and fit correctly. All braces were already welded in. Been about 10 years ago so can't remember exact price but it was well under a grand. Maybe $700?
The only issue with the one piece is that you will have to lift the body off the frame in the rear to slide it into place.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:31 PM

Default 70 gto gone trunk

I hope I'm not replying a second time, not sure my I actually posted properly the 1st time. I do appreciate the info, I will check that out and see what I find $ wise. Not sure I can do a full replacement with equip I have but it never hurts to find out.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:36 PM

AMd is in Georgia. Make sure you get the trunk for a 70 chevelle the gas tank hump is correct.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:25 PM
Senior Chief

I did mine a few years ago and pretty sure it was a Chevelle one piece trunk floor assembly and had to splice it at the rear of the trunk as the Lemans and the Chevelle are different there. I got the full trunk assembly from The Parts Place. likely best bet is the best shipping. Likely want to do the trunk drops also I had to repair both wheel housings and replace both rear quarters. I did one side at a time and slid the entire floor in from the side. Then rebuilt the removed side and then repaired the other side when all was in place. Hope the pictures help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1454.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	541158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1452.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	541159   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010274.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	541160   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010253 (2).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	541161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1465.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	541162  

Old 05-27-2020, 10:17 PM

Default gone trunk

Thanks, I'll see what they have but I think pieces part is the best I can do since I don't have a rotisserie to use. Jack stands only

Old 05-28-2020, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You don't need a rotisserie to do the full pan. I only have jackstands and a floorjack. That's all you need besides regular hand tools as required. Spot weld cutters and so on...and of course, a welder. The welder you will need even more if you go with the three piece set.
Like this-
Remove as much of the old pan as possible.
Jack the rear of the car up by the differential.
Put jack stands under the rocker panels.
Unbolt all of the body mounts at the rear and at least loosen the front two.
Start letting the jack down. Keep an eye on the distributor. You may have to pull it if it fouls the firewall.
Remove all remainder of the old pan.
Prep everything as needed and slide the new pan in from the rear.
Start welding.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0019.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	541185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0010-1 (2).jpg
Views:	329
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	541187   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0022.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	541188  

Last edited by Greg Reid; 05-28-2020 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:19 AM
Senior Chief

Greg is correct that this can and should be done on stands and in my pictures I did not install the floor on my rotisserie as it would have made the issues worse I also did it on stands (not in the picture were stands in front as the stands I had under the lumber were for leveling and while worked great, inexpensive are not really the most stable)
Make sure the car / body is level when welding it in and fitted. I just sent rotisserie pictures of it when it was completed to show where the blend was in the rear. While the Chevelle piece is very close it is different there. I did use many pieces cut out of the Chevelle cut off section to replace the bumper mount section etc.. I welded about 70% on the stands and finished some on the rotisserie as it was easier. A great example on different correct ways to do the same thing, Greg did it from under the car, and I did it from the side. Just make sure you have a good strategy, parts, and start cutting and fabricating and do it safely.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I absolutely would have done it from the side too if I had been replacing a quarter panel.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:55 PM

Default gone trunk

Both you guys have interesting ideas! I have a lot to look at and plan. It sounds less daunting than I had first thought. I also need the side fillers and wheel house parts as they have rusted also, but I don't believe they will be a problem. Just money! I have the jack stands and the floor jack so I will do a test lift to see what it takes before I do any unbolting etc. Thanks guys this helps me a lot. I will post what the test results are and see if any insights after that.