Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-22-2020, 09:48 PM
Boost Engineer

Default My friend Gale Banks posted a nice video

on what is really going on inside a rear differential, enjoy!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...plainer-video/

Tom V.

It is worth watching all of the videos in that topic and there are several of them.
It is always better to know vs ASSUME how something works.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow ,I have never seen anything like that.
Soooo very interesting.
Thanks Tom

Old 05-23-2020, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very good info! Hopefully he can sell some covers to help offset the research cost. Though at this point I know that's not necessary. He can afford to indulge his curiosity on that level for sure.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Tom. That was an eye opener.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 05-23-2020, 02:17 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
Very good info! Hopefully he can sell some covers to help offset the research cost. Though at this point I know that's not necessary. He can afford to indulge his curiosity on that level for sure.
Banks has made so much money on the Special Ops builds over the years for the government, "money for his personal special projects" is one of the lowest worries he has.

His work ethic is extremely high. And he has a bunch of extremely smart employees who have been with him for a very long time.

The "Toy" projects like Jay Lenos "Tank Car" being one of the fun projects.

Glad you liked the info.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leno-Tankcar.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	540798  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:50 PM
Boost Engineer

Banks is one of those guys who doesn't sit on his hands and collect his money.
he is a Very "Driven for knowledge" kind of guy, be it Turbocharger systems, off road military vehicles, off shore "special types of machinery" or just helping make the salt flats racers (like Al Teague) faster and faster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLkVB-t-Z7o

I was at Bonneville when Banks/Stringfellow set several land speed records with the 1988 Pontiac Trans Am. By the way that record still stands.
Here is an old video when Gale was a lot younger (like we all were).
http://www.superchevy.com/news/1403-...-283mph-record

Pontiac was in their Glory Days then. Bragging up the Vehicle Engineering from Pontiac a bit.

Tom V.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 11:57 AM
Senior Chief

Here is a video of Banks for some of you guys that are also into diesel performance. I like his brutal honesty on the subject....I thought it was pretty funny....but absolutely correct.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TjumzxI-Kko

Old 05-25-2020, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gale Banks is an older gentleman who isn't afraid to blend modern design and computer design into his products. But where he differs from many in the aftermarket is he actually tests his products in the old school, hands-on way to see if the CAD designs actually work. I haven't met Mr. Banks in person, but by watching the long video I can see his approach is very similar to the late Joe Mondello as far as method and testing. You didn't hear him say he searched for the cheapest way to do anything on that cover. Only the best way. Who needs a $400.00 differential cover for their pickup? His marketing department said there was a market so he made a cover that actually works. So the question really becomes: I can spend $300.00 on a fancy finned cover that is actually worse or a tiny bit better than stock. Or I can spend $100.00 more on a cover that actually does something positive. And I know I want a new cover. Now it sort of makes sense I guess. Thanks for posting. Interesting stuff.