Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-26-2020, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
That is not the site I was on. It looks a lot like it but not quite the same.
Sigh. I'm not about to post a link to some scammer's website.
As Joe's Garage said, it's the real deal. Stop judging a book by
it's cover, and read the words they wrote...
Quote:
We have recently become aware of scam websites posing as the official DEWALT® account or as a legitimate sales platform for DEWALT® products. These websites have also been advertising on a number of social media networks, such as Facebook®, offering DEWALT® products at prices that are too good to be true, such as a drill and impact driver combo kit for $2.

Don’t fall for such tricks. These scam websites are basically trying to get your credit card information or non-refundable payments from you.

Please know that DEWALT® Industrial Tools does not sell tools directly to end users via online platforms. You can verify whether a website is an authorized reseller by visiting the Authorized Retailer list on the DEWALT website: https://www.dewalt.com/support/find-a-retailer

WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE BEEN SCAMMED

If you gave your credit card number or bank information to a suspected scammer:

1. Tell your financial institution as soon as possible so they can put a hold on your account and prevent further charges against it; and

2. Contact us at https://www.dewalt.com/support/contact-us with details of the transaction so that we can investigate the scammer.

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post

Old 05-26-2020, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quite often the card number stealers are not the card number users .... so there can be a delay between the time the number is stolen and when it is used and they shop the numbers around for a buyer.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
I don't want anyone to post some link to any site. At any rate the transaction has been canceled and my money is already back. I have a very good card company, will have a new card is a few days.
They will try and get more info on the "company".

Old 05-27-2020, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most small time phishers and retail location number stealers will attempt to max out a card in the first couple of hours after they get it.

More sophisticated operations capable of creating a convincing fake website are looking to aggregate a few hundred thousand numbers that they sell off in batches within a few days. In this case they actually DON'T want the numbers used or compromised before they sell them as it reduces their value. Sounds like this site got "outed" sooner than they expected .... but there will probably still be a few thousand people that don't cancel their cards. Keep in mind, you put a smallish charge of like $50 on a thousand cards and you got $50,000.

It's also hard to prosecute the people that create the sites and gather the numbers if they don't actually commit the fraud of USING the cards and just sell the numbers. After all, many, many legit websites collect customer card numbers.