Old 05-25-2020, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default DeWalt 80% off sale ?

Not exactly "Street" related but tool related so I thought I would post and let you guys know.
Seen a add in my usual Yahoo page looking a the news stories. There was this 80% Dewalt Tools add so I clicked on it. It appeared to be the actual Dewalt Company website.
I am a welder so I looked up "grinders" and 80-90$ grinders were 17$ and 250$ griders were 45$ and on and on. Their whole lineup of tools. So I put a cheap 11 amp 4 1/2" grinder, the kind I use a lot and a 6" cutoff saw in my basket as mine needs repair. It was 36$ and I could not repair the one I had for that.
It was quarter till midnight and the add was 'One day sale". My compressor had been acting up, basic 5HP 20 gallon 120psi deal. After new reed valves and head gasket, oil change it finally came around. It did not work for a day post repair and I thought it was shot.
But I clicked on compressors and they all were 99$ ??? From basic 1 1/2HP little guys to 80 gallon two stage 175 psi 240V mag start real deal units. So I clicked on a 60 gallon 5 HP 175psi two stage non mag start 240 volt deal. Put my info in but fumble fingers hit a wrong button and lost all the info I had put in. It was 4 min til midnight. My wife said hurry they might mean it. So I just clicked on the big compressor and not the grinders because of the time.
I GOT IT !!! I picked the 60 gallon simply because I thought the truck freight would be cheaper. But there WAS NO SHIPPING and this 400 some odd pound 6 foot tall bad boy !. Should have got the 80 gallon mag start.
I got the confirming E mail and they said they would notify me when it ships with tracking info. But no freight ?? Truck shipping on that is like shipping a engine, several hundred dollars. The shipping on the grinders would have been 10$........ what ?
I tried to go back right after midnight and this morning to buy the grinders with 2 different cards but it would not go through.
Maybe this sale is real. I will let you know if/when it gets here. Takes some pics. I am kind of dumbfounded by it all. Has the virus put some company's in a terrible overstock situation ? I know a ROSS department store over the hill is selling everything for .50 cents , 6 hour waits to get into the store.

99$ for a 1000$ compressor shipped is too good to be true.
If I had got on the site a few hours earlier I would have spent 500$+. Crazy

Old 05-25-2020, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Exclamation This is just screaming SCAM SCAM SCAM (if it SEEMS too good to be true it usually IS)

It's probably a Chinese scam website. They were talking about it on several other websites, starting a few months ago.

80% off DeWalt tools, send confirmations and then max out your credit card.

I'd cancel those credit cards RIGHT NOW and have them issue new ones.

At least use 'whois' to find out who registered the domain.

Let us know how it turns out........maybe it will prove me wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chicom scam.

https://www.dewalt.com/support/shop-safe

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

People need to realize .. the Chinese are not our friends. Let your shopping habits reflect that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 10:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I saw the same thing (actually my kids did) for 80% off Ray Ban sunglasses. Googled the site and it came up as a scam. Probably similar situation. I would cancel that card

Old 05-25-2020, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a zero percent chance this is real, and a 100% chance you just gave your credit card info to a scammer, who will then use or sell it at some point in the future.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 05-26-2020, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
I tried to go back right after midnight and this morning to buy the grinders with 2 different cards but it would not go through.
You should assume the second card has also been compromised.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would definitely be cancelling all cards used ASAP.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 05-26-2020, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hopefully companies start to realize that whenever they have a product produced in China that the design is promptly stolen (since they have all the necessary info to manufacture it) and the inferior (or sometimes identical) knock offs immediately start to flow.

Different topic than the OPs issue which is just phisshing for card info rather than selling copies, but worth mentioning anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 11:11 AM
Boost Engineer

Hope you did not get scammed Dragncar, but It looks like you may have a major credit card issue now.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you used Paypal, would that insulate you from the scam.? Unless the scammers don't except it.

041 cam with Rhoads lifters 1.65 rockers
RPM rods
800 Cliffs Q Jet on Holley Street Dominator
ST-10 4 speed (3.42 first)
w 2.73 rear gear

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

469th TFS Korat Thailand 1968-69 F-4E Muzzle 2
Old 05-26-2020, 02:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default They usually WON'T accept paypal - that's another clue

They only accept the credit cards directly because they are really after the credit card information - it has more value to them when they resell it over and over and over.

As others have said CANCEL THOSE CARDS RIGHT NOW.

ALL of the cards you might have used on that website. They tell you they're declined so you will keep punching in new numbers.........better for them - they'll have more information to resell.

It's a headache, but not as big a headache as having to deal with four or five maxxed-out credit cards........

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2020, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

CC companies are pretty good these days, quick phone call, or better yet, done on their corp phone app .... card will be cancelled in minutes and a new card in your hand in a few days.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It all sounds way to good to be true don’t trust them but good luck with the deal.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had to dispute several charges as of late. A lot of them from Paypal that my information got compromised and they were making purchases thru Paypal. I am here to tell you Paypal is a bitch to deal with and yes I got my money back but it took weeks and was a huge headache. I can dispute something with AMEX or Capital One and be done the same day. I will never use or trust Paypal again and use Zelle thru USAA. Instantaneous, free, and its thru my bank. All I have to do is send an email and you pay me and its done. No information saved, nobody sees anything but the email address and whatever mailing address you want to give them

Old 05-26-2020, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I called both cards and just the one charge. One was low limit just for such things and the other was a pre paid deal you buy at a grocery store. Have it just for paying for live stream NFL after I did not buy Direct TV Sunday Ticket this past season. The same low limit card was compromised last year for football. I did not lose anything with it, card company took care of it.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I have had to dispute several charges as of late. A lot of them from Paypal that my information got compromised and they were making purchases thru Paypal. I am here to tell you Paypal is a bitch to deal with and yes I got my money back but it took weeks and was a huge headache. I can dispute something with AMEX or Capital One and be done the same day. I will never use or trust Paypal again and use Zelle thru USAA. Instantaneous, free, and its thru my bank. All I have to do is send an email and you pay me and its done. No information saved, nobody sees anything but the email address and whatever mailing address you want to give them
Thats the reason I do not use Pay Pal anymore. I had to chase my tail with them and said never again.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
That is not the site I was on. It looks a lot like it but not quite the same.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Doesn't look like the site you were on 'cause it's the REAL Dewalt site warning you..

The site YOU were on was the PHONY Dewalt site.

Close, but no cigar......

Glad things seem to be working out OK.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:27 PM
Boost Engineer

Same here.
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.