THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite group of sports
Professional stick & ball sports (NBA, MLB, NFL, etc,) 27 42.86%
College sports 4 6.35%
Auto racing, all types 18 28.57%
Other (gardening, mowing grass, watching grass grow, etc.) 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2020, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Sports poll

I was surprised by the answers in the "Do you give a hoot" thread, and wondered if some really do like these sports, and were intimidated by the answers of those that do not. In my case, I pretty much gave up on professional stick & ball sports with the MLB strike of 1973.

But curious, so am posting a poll. Since I can only post 4 poll answers, will have to group the answers.

PS: my vote was gardening

My favorite group of sports:

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I watch a little of everything. I would call the NHRA and Nascar professional sports. I watch a little bit of NHRA but the only auto racing I watch religiously is the Drag Week feed every year.

I ardently follow MLB, NHL, and NFL. Pay for the packages and such. Watch most UFC and big boxing PPVs. I dabble in the NBA but its hard if your team doesn't have a Lebron/Curry/Harden. The Magic don't have one of those.

I still watch college football, and a little basketball, but not as much. I like watching the best of the best. The whole time Im watching a college football game Im just thinking "No way that guy would be that wide open in the NFL" You see lots of college QBs that cant hack it in the league because receivers aren't open by 6 yards. Same with UFC. Ive tried to watch that Contender Series that Dana White has. There is a wiiiiide gulf, between the men and women fighting on those cards vs the big time.

I used to watch college a lot more when I lived in Vegas. Its easier to bet on. Im also in the group that thinks the NCAA is as crooked as it gets financially. So I wouldn't call it a protest since I still watch some, but Im not in a hurry to make them more money.

Side Note:
I moved to central Indiana last year. You would be shocked at the amount of middle aged white dudes who sit around talking about local high school basketball teams. And not because their kids play on the teams. Its bizarre.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 05-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Senior Chief

I turned my back on the NFL because of their BS and havnt missed it at all , I’m not a hardcore sports guy anyway . I like Reds baseball and try to get to a few games a year . A beer and hotdog at the ballpark is just American to me and feels great . I’ve tried to watch hockey , just can’t get into it at all . It still beats basketball though . Soccer - Not a chance .

Old 05-28-2020, 02:39 PM
Senior Chief

Not a sports fan. I grew up near Pittsburgh, so I found a Steeler game on I'd watch it. I quit watching when "they" started taking a knee. I started getting into watch hockey. Still not a big fan, but I would watch the Penguins play. Never cared for basketball or baseball. Haven't watched a NASCAR or NHRA in years either.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 05-28-2020, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like watching the NFL. My team has never been to the Super Bowl, so it's an ongoing gag as to whether I will live long enough to see them in one. It's not looking good BTW! IMO, If MLB doesn't play this year, they could go away and not be missed by many people under 50, except for the players. I enjoy listening to games on the radio but could live without.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tough to answer.
I love watching the Braves and could mostly care less about watching any of the other teams. College baseball is watchable because those kids haven't been corrupted by money yet.
Football? I'll watch Bama play but if I don't get to watch, I won't lose any sleep. NFL? Whats that?
I grew up a couple of blocks from Bobby Allison's house, so I really used to be a big "Winston Cup" fan. That quit about the time Mark Martin laid down his gloves.
I do like to garden and work in the yard and consider myself pretty good at it. Back when the city gave Yard of the Month awards, mine won for my area every year (every 3) it was eligible.
I guess that leaves bass fishing from my canoe. I could go every day.........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The options are too broad to answer properly.

I seriously enjoy some of the stick and ball sports - pro and college. Hockey and Football are my top choices.

I seriously enjoy some of the auto racing varieties, but not all. NASCAR, local dirt track and drag racing are my choices.

I seriously enjoy cutting grass and blowing snow. Some people think I'm weird.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:03 PM
Senior Chief

The only thing I care to watch are the NY Yankees, although I will no longer pay the rip off prices to go to a game, and our local AHL team.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
The only thing I care to watch are the NY Yankees, although I will no longer pay the rip off prices to go to a game, and our local AHL team.
The Crunch? Thats the Lightning's farm team. I follow them being a Bolts fan. I went to a game when I was stationed at Ft Drum for a few months.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 05-28-2020, 03:24 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
The Crunch? Thats the Lightning's farm team. I follow them being a Bolts fan. I went to a game when I was stationed at Ft Drum for a few months.
The Utica Comets, Vancouver Canucks farm team. Being separated by about only 50 miles from the Crunch makes it quite the rivalry.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

NHL, MLB and MMA for me, nothing else matters.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of people that I talk sports with are surprised to hear that I like the NFL, as much as or maybe more than hockey. But overall I'm not missing the sports. One or two of the Leafs created some drama over more money. Then they didn't earn their pay. It was all speculation up front. So that kind of stuff turns me off. I remember when they used to call these guys heros. Different world.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm all about football and hockey.

Baseball and basketball is boring to me.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 05-28-2020, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife has company night for the Padres two or three times a year and they charge $15 a person. We sit in a special section with free beer or wine (cut off in the 7th) and hamburgers, hot dogs, tacos. The company has ties to the Bay Area and Boston so they try to schedule their company nights when the Giants or if Boston (inter-league play) are in town. Which is great since I've been a Giants fan, but not a fanatic, since childhood. My daughter and I go to games only if they are in town.
NFL, meh. College football is better. Never cared for basketball though my wife likes it. I gave up on NASCAR back in the early 80s but before then I was a Ford and AMC (Penske) fan. Loved to see Richard cut the corners at Riverside since he didn't know how to turn right lol.
Been finding myself watching Golf more often. I don't play since I already have one expensive hobby.

Paying student athletes is a huge mistaken my opinion, but like someone said, NCAA and the schools are already corrupt so why not I suppose.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 05-28-2020, 05:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hockey #1, football. I would even watch soccer or 'gasp' golf to get out of yard work.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 05-28-2020, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NHRA(be lot better if they showed slower classes too), Black Hawks. And lately rugby.
Baseball, soccer, and football for garage back ground noise.
Used to be a NASCAR fan till they wussafied it and older guys dropped out...

Cant stand basketball. Bunch of ally players.
Anyone can be good taking 3 steps per dribble. And changing pivot feet before making a move...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 05-28-2020, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bowling; the highest participation sport in the U.S., and the World. Well it wa up to 3 months ago

Old 05-28-2020, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would much rather be outside doing anything. But, if I am stuck inside and there is nothing else worth watching I will tune in to see what sports are on. Definitely no NFL and no basketball either college or pro.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gardening has been a challenge this year, due to the weather.

I have replanted beans, cucumbers, and zucchini. (But the weeds are doing well).

I had retired from gardening last year, but with the uncertainty of the virus, decided another year was in order. Still have not quite half of the garden to plant, as we try to draw out the harvest.

On the other hand, grass is growing like crazy. You can literally watch it grow. And while I will confess to enjoying college sports in the past; personal exercise from yard work and gardening is important, and satisfying. And much better for the body than the couch potato position.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:01 AM

Hi-power rifle competition. Sucks that both the NRA and CMP National matches were cancelled this summer.