THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hurst Wheels at car show

As many of you may know, I display my '67 GTO convertible equipped with a set of Hurst wheels. I've had the wheels on my ride for over twenty years. I can usually gauge the general "car-guy knowledge" of a show spectator by his reaction to my car's wheels. Some people have no idea of their origin or rarity. Others know exactly what they are looking at and offer a complimentary remark.

I was with my car at a small-town, festival car show last Saturday. The weather was great and the show was well attended. About three-quarters of the way through the show, a middle-aged guy stops to inspect my car. He really gives the wheels a good look-see.

I'm sitting behind the car, and he picks me out right away. He asks me about the Hurst wheels and tells me that he used to work at Royal Pontiac with Milt Shornack and Jim Wangers. When the Royal race team was in the area (Southeast, MI), he would help out with their race track promotion appearances. He says that he was even the "Mystery Driver" at several local races. He continued to regale me with an entertaining story of a stolen tiger costume head and the chase around Flint, MI to recover it before Jim Wangers found out about its theft. It seems that this was the only costume they had for this "Race the Tiger" promotion. Even though the head was recovered, Jim was still plenty mad when he eventually found about the adventure.

Anyway, this guy tells me that he had owned a new '65 GTO back in the day, and that he had also purchased a set of Hurst wheels for that car. He revealed that he still had one wheel from that set, but didn't remember where the other three wheels went.

I have been looking for a decent, fifth, bare wheel to use for a spare tire. He said that the wheel needed restoration and that it no longer had a trim ring or center cap. That's perfect for my spare. Then he dropped the bomb shell, he still owned the pair of 1965 vintage shipping cans for his set of wheels! That got my attention by the short hairs.

I told him that I was really interested in buying everything he might have in connection with his Hurst wheels. He took my name and contact info and said that he would get in touch with me when he decided on an asking price for the whole shootin' match.

Now, I have a good idea of what a bare Hurst wheel in need of resto is worth, but I have not heard of a shipping can changing hands in quite some time. Anyone (Dennis?) have a good feel for what I should be prepared to pay for two Hurst wheel shipping cans in good condition? I haven't seen an Ebay sale of this item in a while, so recent sales results from that source are of no use.

What are original Hurst wheel shipping cans, in perfect and complete condition, worth today?

Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With the lids are extremely rare, without lids I have seen them fetch in excess of $ 400.00 each. Lids will take that to another level I am sure. There are reproduction (cans & lids) floating out there so be careful. I am not saying this person is dishonest but be careful. Money making opportunities do different things to different people.

Tim john---

Old 06-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know what Hurst wheel shipping cans in perfect/complete condition are worth, but I saw a can in very poor condition go for $350 at a swap meet here last fall. The can looked like it had been sitting outside for years and it had several holes and small dents--too much patina for me.

I run a nicely restored Hurst wheel as a spare. I get lots of compliments when I open the trunk, that's for sure. It took me a while to figure out how to secure it though. I ended up tapping a reproduction center cap so that it screws onto an extended j hook (I used a coupler and a couple inches of threaded rod). It's a neat set-up, but there's no place for the jack base in case you want to display it.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Default Hurst Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoric View Post
As many of you may know, I display my '67 GTO convertible equipped with a set of Hurst wheels. I've had the wheels on my ride for over twenty years. I can usually gauge the general "car-guy knowledge" of a show spectator by his reaction to my car's wheels. Some people have no idea of their origin or rarity. Others know exactly what they are looking at and offer a complimentary remark.

I was with my car at a small-town, festival car show last Saturday. The weather was great and the show was well attended. About three-quarters of the way through the show, a middle-aged guy stops to inspect my car. He really gives the wheels a good look-see.

I'm sitting behind the car, and he picks me out right away. He asks me about the Hurst wheels and tells me that he used to work at Royal Pontiac with Milt Shornack and Jim Wangers. When the Royal race team was in the area (Southeast, MI), he would help out with their race track promotion appearances. He says that he was even the "Mystery Driver" at several local races. He continued to regale me with an entertaining story of a stolen tiger costume head and the chase around Flint, MI to recover it before Jim Wangers found out about its theft. It seems that this was the only costume they had for this "Race the Tiger" promotion. Even though the head was recovered, Jim was still plenty mad when he eventually found about the adventure.

Anyway, this guy tells me that he had owned a new '65 GTO back in the day, and that he had also purchased a set of Hurst wheels for that car. He revealed that he still had one wheel from that set, but didn't remember where the other three wheels went.

I have been looking for a decent, fifth, bare wheel to use for a spare tire. He said that the wheel needed restoration and that it no longer had a trim ring or center cap. That's perfect for my spare. Then he dropped the bomb shell, he still owned the pair of 1965 vintage shipping cans for his set of wheels! That got my attention by the short hairs.

I told him that I was really interested in buying everything he might have in connection with his Hurst wheels. He took my name and contact info and said that he would get in touch with me when he decided on an asking price for the whole shootin' match.

Now, I have a good idea of what a bare Hurst wheel in need of resto is worth, but I have not heard of a shipping can changing hands in quite some time. Anyone (Dennis?) have a good feel for what I should be prepared to pay for two Hurst wheel shipping cans in good condition? I haven't seen an Ebay sale of this item in a while, so recent sales results from that source are of no use.

What are original Hurst wheel shipping cans, in perfect and complete condition, worth today?
I have a set of Hurst Wheels on my Triple Black The Judge Convertible with Hurst Spinners. I bought the wheels in around 1981-1982 in Carlisle and found the spinners 2 to a box brand new in Carlisle about 1984 1985 and found a fifth Hurst for a spare also around 1984 I now live in Phoenix Arizona over 20 years and know a guy with as he tells me two complete cans I have tried to buy many times but he is just not ready but he did tell me since I have the wheels and yes he has seen them that I would have first crack at them when hes ready to sell I have collected alot of Hurst memorobilia over the years since I bought the wheels but have never got a set of canx YET but I will keep on him until he crokes or I croke.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I might be foggy on this but seems Like I remember a set of 4 mint cans going for $4k

Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Suspended

Default Hurst Cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
I might be foggy on this but seems Like I remember a set of 4 mint cans going for $4k
I saw a set of Hurst wheels on a 1965 GTO Convertible yesterday the guy told me he got them from The Parts Place sign me up I will be getting a set for my Crystal Turquoise car now that I saw his they are beautiful.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobi View Post
I saw a set of Hurst wheels on a 1965 GTO Convertible yesterday the guy told me he got them from The Parts Place sign me up I will be getting a set for my Crystal Turquoise car now that I saw his they are beautiful.
I think our host sells them too.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well guys, Ed finally got back to me about the two Hurst shipping cans he's had since 1965. I did make the buy, though I guess I'm not going to be going to many swap meets this summer. Complete cans with lids and clamp rings. Only things missing are the ring's clamping nuts and bolts. Cans are in average condition—some dents, some scratches and rust spots. The lids have shipping labels that indicate they were shipped from Hurst in PA to Hurst in MI, with "attn to: J. Watson."

Ed tells the story that as a kid, the first car he bought new was a '65 Tempest 326. He hung around Royal Pontiac and helped them out once in a while. One of those times was with a magazine drag test of a '65 GTO. Jack Watson was there with some Hurst wheels, and they used Ed's Tempest for some of the closeup burnout photos. When the shoot was over Doc promised Ed a set of wheels as a thanks for his help. A few weeks later these cans showed up for Ed at Royal.

Ed ran the wheels on his car until he sold it a few of years later. He seems to remember letting three of the wheels go with the car, because he still has one wheel, and only one wheel, left.

It is for sale, but I couldn't afford that along with the cans. This wheel is the rare style with the polished spear in the spokes, the first one I've ever seen in person. The person buying this wheel would have to have the matching style rims. All it really needs is a good touch up polish of the spoke ribs, and it is showable. The rim is straight and most of the (zinc?) plating is still on the rim. It's for sale if anyone is interested.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool story! Did you have any doubt with the guys story at any point? I just bought 2 seperate sets of Hurst wheels off ebay. They were listed as 5 on 4 1/2. Thought they would look good on my 62 LeMans. First set showed up and were 5 on 4-1/2, second set were 5 on 4-3/4. Now 6 wheels in I have a full set for my beater 69 GTO, and on the hunt for 2 more 5-4 1/2 for the 62? Stupid ebay, and ME!

Last edited by Drag Star Le Mans; 02-19-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay, somebody has to ask....where are the pics???

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoric View Post
Ed tells the story that as a kid, the first car he bought new was a '65 Tempest 326. He hung around Royal Pontiac and helped them out once in a while. One of those times was with a magazine drag test of a '65 GTO. Jack Watson was there with some Hurst wheels, and they used Ed's Tempest for some of the closeup burnout photos. When the shoot was over Doc promised Ed a set of wheels as a thanks for his help. A few weeks later these cans showed up for Ed at Royal.
This sounds a lot like dad's relationship with Royal. Pretty informal; as a frequent customer I think he was just there often and so was in on some of these more spontanteous sessions.

That's how we got our first set of wrinklewalls; M&H used our car for the testing and when it was done they said we could keep the tires.

Did you happen to ask Ed if he remembered my dad?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
This sounds a lot like dad's relationship with Royal. Pretty informal; as a frequent customer I think he was just there often and so was in on some of these more spontaneous sessions.
I miss informal and spontaneous.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Red face Well, here I go again...

But to me, the idea that someone would pay 1K for an empty shipping container is completely inexplicable.

I firmly believe, as I've said before, that the #1 problem with our hobby today is stupid amounts of money chasing essentially worthless stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is a great story.
Ask if he ever want to join and put some of them in the best Pontiac stories forum.
Always great to preserve firsthand accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
But to me, the idea that someone would pay 1K for an empty shipping container is completely inexplicable.

I firmly believe, as I've said before, that the #1 problem with our hobby today is stupid amounts of money chasing essentially worthless stuff.

Bob – I completely agree!! I have experienced this first hand in several other hobbies of mine.

My two other hobbies are art collecting and antique gun collecting.
In 2012, I tried bidding on a Neiman Signed Print. Opening bid was $10.4K!

I emailed them and stated the same thing. It is just a worthless print with a signature! I offered them $50 and told them they are ruining the art collecting hobby!

They came back with an email that stated “A(demand) + B(supply) = $”
I was so upset – I lodged a legitimate complaint and they come back with some stupid math problem.

Tried purchasing an 1873 Winchester 32 cal. Rifle last year. They sold it for $1575. I told them the same thing. That is nuts. Offered them $100 and told them they are ruining the gun collecting hobby! It is just a worthless old gun – probably not even capable of firing! They sent the same stupid response “A(demand) + B(supply) = $”

Personally I am ready to leave all these hobbies. Thinking of just going after the toys of my youth. Loved the 70’s GI Joe stuff and Star Wars toys. Have not checked into it yet, but I would have to think I can put a whole collection together for 10 bucks or less. They have to be worthless old toys by now.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I drove in my 40 Ford to the first auto auction that Kruse did in 72 or 73. When I saw who was bidding and that they had no real knowledge of antique cars I said to buddy "there goes the hobby world of antique cars". It was a game changer and I only wish that there was just buyers and sellers and no auctions or auctioneers.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never seen these before. Cool story!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm ready to sell my Hurst Cans. Got 2 of them that I got from Kirban back in the day. Solid 8/10 on both. Also have an orignal wheel box. Tired of looking at this stuff. email me at arayman@aol.com if you are interested.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When did Hurst use the box?

Old 02-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default When did Hurst use the box?

Not really an answer to your question;
Just a look at some...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-66-67-68-...4c6c36&vxp=mtr

Old 02-20-2014, 09:20 AM

Default Hurst Wheels

I sold a set of Hurst wheels and cans 5 years ago for $3800. The set was for a Mopar, were one owner and complete right down to the cotton bags for the lug nuts. The cans were a 9.5 in condition. The wheels were in fantastic shape also. Also went was the Hurst magazine with the owners name in it as a new Hurst Club member and black plate card with his info on it.At the time an original can was going for about $700.