Old 05-24-2020, 12:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Flashflood Send a message via MSN to Flashflood Send a message via Yahoo to Flashflood
Default Need help

I now have my starter fully tightened but my 77 lemans only seems like it's cranking very slowly. When I did the timing chain on her I made sure not to jump the timing. So the question I want to ask are is how's the best way to check if the carbs getting fuel/ or if the fuel lines are clogged. Cause I think that's my issue.

Last edited by Flashflood; 05-24-2020 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Easiest way to see if its a fuel problem is to either use a little starting fluid, or put a little raw fuel into the carb and try to fire up the car. If it fires, you know its a fuel delivery problem.

Pop the air cleaner off. What happens when you work the throttle by hand under the hood? Do you see any fuel go in? Does it smell fuel is present?

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 05-24-2020, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You could disconnect the fuel line somewhere after the pump and check while cranking (assuming mechanical)

Old 05-25-2020, 06:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If it's cranking very slowly it has nothing to do with fuel. You either need a new starter/solenoid, maybe the battery needs charged or replaced, or maybe you have too much initial timing.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You mentioned you just tightened your starter, did you add any shims? Many a Pontiac I have worked on has had a couple shims

Old 05-25-2020, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Or maybe the starter is fighting against the ignition timing being off after you did the timing chain. Could you describe how/what you you did when doing the timing chain replacement? Was the car running before you worked on it?

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 05-25-2020, 10:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to David Brown

Also check your connections. Make sure clean, especially the ground connection.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Flashflood Send a message via MSN to Flashflood Send a message via Yahoo to Flashflood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Or maybe the starter is fighting against the ignition timing being off after you did the timing chain. Could you describe how/what you you did when doing the timing chain replacement? Was the car running before you worked on it?

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I replaced the stock timing chain making sure not to mess with the timing on the top or bottom sprocket, and before I did that there was about an half an inch to an inch of slack in the chain. Wasn't running before I did it.

Last edited by Flashflood; 05-25-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashflood View Post
I replaced the stock timing chain making sure not to mess with the timing on the top or bottom sprocket, and before I did that there was about an half an inch to an inch of slack in the chain. Wasn't running before I did it.
Did you line up the dots on cam and crank gears to see if cam timing was right?

If the old chain had jumped time and you put the new chain on with gears in the same location... The cam would still be out of time.

Looked and found this after reading your post about taking vacuum advance off to set ignition timing. Cam timing could be off causing this. Or distributor needs pulled and reset to get it right. You do not have to take vacuum advance off to set ignition timing if everything else is right.

Clay

Old 07-18-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
Did you line up the dots on cam and crank gears to see if cam timing was right?

If the old chain had jumped time and you put the new chain on with gears in the same location... The cam would still be out of time.

Looked and found this after reading your post about taking vacuum advance off to set ignition timing. Cam timing could be off causing this. Or distributor needs pulled and reset to get it right. You do not have to take vacuum advance off to set ignition timing if everything else is right.

Clay
I don't think it jumped a tooth on the chain. Because I've gotten it to run for about 20-35 secs on her own power until she started to boog down and I was an idiot and didn't keep her going or at it's ignition timing.