Old 04-23-2002, 12:27 PM

Help! What is the best way to change the valve springs on a 455, with out pulling the heads.My compresser only goes to 100 psi. I heard about nilon rope in the spark plug hole. could this be true. don't shake your head! that's what I heard.
Thanks, Edgar J

Old 04-23-2002, 12:27 PM

Help! What is the best way to change the valve springs on a 455, with out pulling the heads.My compresser only goes to 100 psi. I heard about nilon rope in the spark plug hole. could this be true. don't shake your head! that's what I heard.
Thanks, Edgar J

Old 04-23-2002, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

Edgar, I've used the rope trick. Lower the piston as far as it will go. Put about 15 feet of rope down the plug hole.(it takes more then you think) Turn the engine over By Hand . You will feel it start to tighten up as the piston comes to the top. You can remove your springs now.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 04-23-2002, 08:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

good luck with the rope. with the shape of the pontiac cylinder head. the rope compresses in the squish area while still not filling the valve chamber area. try it uot you may get lucky.

Old 04-23-2002, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How much psi is needed using the tool which screws into the spark plug hole ? You could always rent one for the day with a high psi.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 04-23-2002, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

90-100 lbs.

Old 04-25-2002, 12:38 PM

Thanks to everyone,
Your help is grate.
By the way, AHH, there is one more thing.You see, I have this 462 crate engine to replace the 350 in my 67 firebird convert. It's from auto zone,not that grate, cast piston stock x4 heads,8-1 cr.I would like to install my Lanity [204/214 @.05 lift .420/.442 sep.112] cam, 1.65 roller rockers, new springs and a Edelbrock gear drive.Why! becouse. Well, I'm just not quite normel.
I know that the pushrod holes should be inlarged with this ratio racker, but my lift will only be .462/.486 @1.65. do I gotta!.
The car has Edelbrock intake, 600cfm holley, Crane ignition, Headman headers, 2.5" flowmaster exhust, TCI 350 HD, break-a-way converter,trans cooler elect. fan, open 308 rear end, E70 14" red lines and that,s about it.
Any comments would be welcome. thanks edgar.
mother dosn't let me drag race,anymore

Old 04-27-2002, 02:38 PM

Edgar J
I run a 235 cam @ .50 in a 462 ci / @ 520 Lift 1.65. The issue is the inbd to outbd movement that requires opening the pushrod holes up. All I did was to go one size over with a Good Ream. Go For It ! ( You'll Know It's Right)And 8 hrs later on the eng. there are No signs of polishing the push rods during operation.
I see your using a 650 cfm. Just breaking the eng. in on a run stand I used a 750 cfm and that was bearly enough to keep the Beast from thirsting.