73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 10-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Senior Chief

I WILL be there!!!!!

My Dad's 59. The start of my love for Pontiacs!
Old 10-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

1250 miles for me.. Fortunately, I have 5 weeks of vacation next year..

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-05-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman
1250 miles for me.. Fortunately, I have 5 weeks of vacation next year..
A date! Finally!

Haven't done a MapQuest to figure the mileage, but that sounds about the same for me. And I get 4 weeks next June (have 3 now).

The Can Am and I will be there. Mechanically, it'll be no problem. The body and interior may not be done, but we'll attend nevertheless.

1977 Can Am (T/A 6.6, posi, Buckskin interior, tilt/AC/PW, 115K miles) - need sheet metal, care to help?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did they name this town Port Saint Lucie, when there's no port at all here?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:38 PM

this is a Tuesday thru Saturday event? correct?

Old 10-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was holding out for Norwalk, but the POCI Nats is the next best thing (especially for Verne given they're practically in his back yard next year). Jotting it on my calender. Some hotel information (other than the host hotel) would be helpful in the coming weeks.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to GTOken Send a message via MSN to GTOken Send a message via Yahoo to GTOken

WooHOO! I'll be there. I won't have the best looking or best running CA but maybe not the worst either. Just got to get a motor and tranny put in. Will there be some special registration needed to get into this thing?

"Life is one big smokey burnout after another." -- me
Old 10-05-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOken
WooHOO! I'll be there. I won't have the best looking or best running CA but maybe not the worst either. Just got to get a motor and tranny put in. Will there be some special registration needed to get into this thing?
Yeah. Drive up in a Can Am...

9 months to get the money together for the car, and the trip, and get the car reasonably done...hmm...gonna be tough, but not impossible.

1977 Can Am (T/A 6.6, posi, Buckskin interior, tilt/AC/PW, 115K miles) - need sheet metal, care to help?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:46 PM

Smile Can Am Reunion

Yes the Nationals is a Tuesday thru Saturday event. The Convention Committee is working on there schedule right now. I will pull the Can Am and other activities of interest out as soon as it is available.

Hotel Information and other details will be posted this weekend.

Thanks Guys
Verne

1 - 1979 10th Ann. Trans Am 4 spd
Blue Springs, MO
Old 10-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Thanks, Verne for putting this together. Maybe I will have both of mine there.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-05-2006, 09:16 PM

I too was holding out for Norwalk, but oh well that's okay.

I got to thinking though..how about we hold more than one 30th anniversary Can am reunion? Like a Norwalk one too? And maybe a west coast one tied to a Pontiac event there?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, you folks that may have "rough" Can-Am's or unfinished ones...bring them anyway, it won't matter. What I've noticed over the last 3 years attending nostalgia drag races and shows (such as the Funny Car Reunion at Englishtown) is that people have a keen interest in the history of the car, and it doesn't matter if it's "rough". I've seen many old race cars, with rust covering old and faded paint jobs, that haven't been raced in 30, 35, or 40 years get quite a bit of attention and interest. Now with a whole bunch of Can Am's, admittedly some "rough" or unfinished ones may not garner that kind of interest by themselves. This is where you point out what makes YOUR Can Am special with a small display sign or something that will tell everyone what makes it special. The same is done for the old race cars. I walked up to a mid 60's Corvair funny car that hadn't been raced since 1967 and it was faded and rusty and had "Gratiot Auto" painted down the side. Just looking at the car, I knew jack squat about it. But the owner presented a thorough history on the car, which made it interesting.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:15 PM

Default Can Am Reunion

Brian is absolutely right!!! Well said!!
I can't think of a better time to document and photograph all the different interior combinations and options than at a gathering like this. We need all the Can Ams we can get to do this so bring your car. Your Can Am is special to you AND to every other Can Am owner!!

Thanks Brian!

Verne

1 - 1979 10th Ann. Trans Am 4 spd
Blue Springs, MO
Old 10-06-2006, 08:11 AM

I have to second what Brian said...I took my CA to my first show this week and it got plenty of looks and comments, and this is with torn seats and carpet, and the original paint that has a few rust spots (for pictures, see the thread "TropicDave's Can Am Report"). No one was rude or looked down at it, precisely because they'd all been there at one point or another. (On the other hand, it'll make the trip out west with no problems at all...it might have been neglected in looks, but not in the engine and drivetrain...and I might add, it's a blast to drive! As is, it still gets the looks!)

Verne, thanks for doing all you're doing!

Old 10-06-2006, 10:55 PM

Well, I had hoped for something a bit closer to the East Coast but if its Tulsa then so be it. At least we have a firm fixed location and date.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:25 PM

I'll be there with my used Can Am(paint and interior not great but not terrible). It's got 108,000 on it, and sat for a few years. I looked up mapquest and I'm only 424 miles away!!!! I drive that amount just going down to see my mom and dad. This car still isn't running right now, I have an engine thanks to a fellow PY member, still have to get the tranny rebuilt, radiator, starter......... I'll do a pratice run to mom's when I get it together, if she makes that trip; I'll drive to Tulsa. Otherwise I'll just pull it on my trailer. I can't wait to see all the Can Am's David

1977 Pontiac Can Am, firethorn interior- buckets/console,tilt,tach and a/c, posi and rally II's. I'm the 4th owner, and happy it's mine! I tried to buy my first one in 1986, 20 years later I finally got one! Then Only after a few fun years, needed to sell it.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default the bastard will roll

It has come to my attention that some automobile enthusiasts like to drink beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastard
Anyone planning to attend the Tulsa event should be aware of Oklahoma's strange beer law that limits the alcohol content of beer sold in Oklahoma to 3.2%. Either bring your beer with you, switch to hard liquor (which is curiously full strength), plan on a road trip of at least an hour and a half to Missouri, Kansas or Arkansas, or do without. Believe me, if you are used to drinking full strength beer, you will be able to tell the difference.
Beer in most other places is 6% alcohol- you do the math.
I am happy to hear of the plans for the Tulsa event, since I live an hour and a half away. I plan to attend parts of it in my 1976 Lemans Sport Coupe, which is definitely NOT a "looker". I think anyone with a Can Am or other A body of this era in any condition should try to attend as a "show of strength" to let vendors see how many of these cars are still going and to show them what kind of parts we need for them.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I think anyone with a Can Am or other A body of this era in any condition should try to attend as a "show of strength" to let vendors see how many of these cars are still going and to show them what kind of parts we need for them.
I agree, my car is not great but just OK. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and getting lots and lots of pictures. I'm hopeing also, some venders will see that there is a loyal following for these cars and make more repo parts. I really hate to see "68-72" and "78-87" listed for everything cool I want for my car! There are some updated suspension parts from Global West, but not much else for body panels and interior. See ya soon! David

1977 Pontiac Can Am, firethorn interior- buckets/console,tilt,tach and a/c, posi and rally II's. I'm the 4th owner, and happy it's mine! I tried to buy my first one in 1986, 20 years later I finally got one! Then Only after a few fun years, needed to sell it.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I think anyone with a Can Am or other A body of this era in any condition should try to attend as a "show of strength" to let vendors see how many of these cars are still going and to show them what kind of parts we need for them.
I am quietly laughing to myself after reading this statement, after having offered twice to spearhead the reproduction of the rare '73 NACA Ram Air parts needed to make the NACA hood functional and "factory correct" for approximately $500-$600 per unit, and only getting 6 responses of interest the first time, and 4 responses the second. You guys are out there, but you must not want to spend any money, which is probably why you see so few 73-77 A-bodies in show condition.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Before reproductions of parts such as a ram air system are produced, I think more worthwhile projects such as wheel opening mouldings, seat covers and buns, and quarter panels should be addressed.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree on the sheetmetal part. It still doesn't change the fact that for every 1,000 restored pre-73 GTO's out there, you may find 1 restored 73-77 A-body. That's one reason why nobody is reproducing the parts. My example is another.