73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 06-01-2017, 11:00 PM

Default 1973 GTO, Rare car?

Hey Y'all, first post here so if I'm doing something wrong just yell at me. I'm not exactly sure what category this goes into so I'll try here.

My Buddy and I kinda have this awesome habit (lots of people tell us it's not good) of looking on craigslist and buying all the "great deals" we come across. Kinda dumb sounding since neither of us are old enough for a drivers license yet, but, we work on a farm and love old stuff. That's how I ended up buying 2 dodge trucks, a silverado, a '81 camaro z28, a '72 super beetle, and lots of quads and snowmobiles and stuff, most of which I've sold.

Came across this GTO for $2500 and got it for $2000 thinking, hey it's a GTO so it's gotta be worth something. Start looking it up and it looks like they only made 4,806 of these things in 1973? Been in 1 family since new, I was told all the history and all the stories about running from cops upon purchasing.

Anyway, First question, Was this car worth $2,000, and would could it potentially be worth? The original 400 motor was blown up, so now has a seriously souped up 350. Would like to put either a 400, 455, or 454 chevy motor in it, but we'll see how that goes. Has posi rear end, been sitting in a pole barn since 1992, so haven't yet gotten it running, but was told it ran 2 years ago. Has cragar ss rims on it. Spent much of it's life in Tennesee. Was originally gold.

Second question, What tires would you buy for it? Needs all 4, would like to keep it under $400 for tires if possible but don't want to waste my money on junk.

Third question, Would I be crazy to try to put a different engine in it? This 350 has pontiac 400 headers. Could I possibly sell those and some other stuff to help pay for a big block?

I'm sure their will be more questions, just trying to find out some basic info on this car.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, idea's, and opinions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	myfirstgto6.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	455989   Click image for larger version

Name:	myfirstGTO3.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	455990   Click image for larger version

Name:	myfirstgto.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	455991   Click image for larger version

Name:	myfirstgto2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	455992  

Old 06-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Senior Chief

I recommend that you get it running, clean it up and go from there. Unless you have some motors lying around or want to drop a bunch of coin, I don't think you'll see a huge value or performance gain by swapping engines.

"Individual results may vary..."
Old 06-02-2017, 12:35 AM
Suspended

1st off Pontiac doesn't make a big block , but if your young & just starting out you'll find that out very soon. The 400 & 455 just use different size journals on the crank which makes then different. Next , keep it all Pontiac as thats what will make it worth more money. If the body is in good shape & rust free which I see some damage on the right side from rust which can cost a ton. No one makes any sheet metal for the 73 GTO & the 1/4's are different from all the other years,,, 74-77. Interior parts too are hard to come by so hopefully it's good & not coming apart. If it's in good shape the price you paid is a good price. Is this car an auto or maybe a 3 spd. or 4 spd. ? the later would make it worth more. The pics don't look to bad so I would say you got a deal, so put it back together & drive it. But make it all Pontiac & stay away from the chebby big block. just my opinion thou.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks like a decent car. I'd say you paid about a much as you should have for it if it's drivable and...depending on how much rust you can't see yet.
These can be very nice cars and the desirability is going up on them. They've really grown on me over the years. GTO people have largely overlooked them for most of the last 45 years.
I agree with Rex on the engine...for most of the people who would be interested in that car a Chevy engine is going to hurt the value rather than help it. Even in a big block. Pontiac people are MOSTLY loyal to Pontiac power.
Find a decent Poncho 400 and drop it in. Until then, especially if you're going to flip it, run that 350.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:13 AM

Thanks all for the replys!

I was not aware about the 455 not being a big block, good to know. Definitely going yo be running the 350 for a good while yet.

The guy I got it from has worked at a body shop for 30+ years, so has had quite a bit done already. I'll be doing this with a guy that worked at a body shop in his younger years and then a dealership. Most body work on previous cars we've been able to do for the cost of sheet metal, welding supply's and body filler and such. This car actually has the least rust of any I've ever had before, I'm assuming because of its time spent in Tennessee.

Most the interior is good, missing carpets and the drivers seat is all torn up unfortunately.

Hopefully will get her fired up this weekend. Will let y'all know when we get it back on the road!

Old 06-02-2017, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For tires, it'll be hard to find good set of 4 tires for only $400. You might find some cheap black wall tires for that, but tire size choices will be poor. Raised white letter tires are what looks best on these cars, and are available in the right sizes for the car.

BF Goodrich Radial TA's are the most popular and look right, but probably cost around $650 installed. Cooper Cobra tires are another choice that looks good and they're probably $150 cheaper for the set.

For the tire size, I'd get 245-60-15, since it's close to the original size that came on the car.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:01 AM

I was thinking bf Goodrich radials as well, or maybe Goodyear eagles? 245/60 15s are on it right now, and I definitely want to get that same size again as I think it looks good. I can order the Goodrich radials for $90 a piece, buddy has a tire machine, so mounting isn't an issue.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Senior Chief

"I was not aware about the 455 not being a big block..."

Some younger car fans [and sellers] will call any old v8 with 400 + cubic inches a "big block". Thinking is that displacement # refers to external size. But, no it's the combustion chambers.

The confusion is from Chevy, Ford and Mopar having small and big block families of engines, and the general cut off is about 400 cc, more like 380 cc. So, some think any 400/455 Buick, Olds, Pontiac, and even AMC [401] are "big blocks". Also, even more confusing, there were both small and big block Chevy 400 ci V8's sold in early 70's.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well the Buick and Olds engines are Big Block, Small Block, but the Pontiac and AMC engines are one size blocks, but I get what you are saying.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)