Old 06-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My speedo was way out and was bouncing around excessivlely I thought.I have a brand new greased cable..I changed speedo heads with my 80 parts car.I have a new driven gear in the tranny which made my speed not quite so high with my now 3.42 gears.I still found out I need to change the drive gear to 17 tooth and the driven gear to 43 tooth to make it dead on. Can the drive gear if its worn or damaged cause the speedo to jump around a bit.Maybe its just a normal cable speedo..its been many many years since I had one and this car having an 85mph maybe exaggerates the bouncing movement since you have to nearly go to the end of the dial at 70mph.
So are yours steady like your tach or still a bit bouncy.And what is left to check.if the cable is good and have changed driven gear and adapter driven gear goes into and have switched heads what is left to try to stop the speedo needle from excessive bouncing..?????

80TA,pontiac 400,edelbrock carb,accel wires,dual exhaust,dynomax mufflers,no cats,3.42 gears.CE subframe connectors to be installed.On order B&M quicksilver,Polygraphite bodymounts.
15.1 at 96mph 2.47 60ft uncorrected tazzo vpc.

99TAWS6 ..lots of mods.13.35 at
109 2.27 60ft uncorrected tazzo vpc.
1900 ft altitude.

80TAWS6,400,edelbrock 750 carb/performer rpm intake/crane cam and lifters,/magnum 1.52 rocker arms/comp pushrods/arp rocker studs,cloyes double roller,crower valve springs,ias shocks,msdl wires,dual exhaust,flo pro mufflers mufflers,turbo 400, 2400 nitrous holeshot,3.42 strange gears.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My speedo was way out and was bouncing around excessivlely I thought.I have a brand new greased cable..I changed speedo heads with my 80 parts car.I have a new driven gear in the tranny which made my speed not quite so high with my now 3.42 gears.I still found out I need to change the drive gear to 17 tooth and the driven gear to 43 tooth to make it dead on. Can the drive gear if its worn or damaged cause the speedo to jump around a bit.Maybe its just a normal cable speedo..its been many many years since I had one and this car having an 85mph maybe exaggerates the bouncing movement since you have to nearly go to the end of the dial at 70mph.
So are yours steady like your tach or still a bit bouncy.And what is left to check.if the cable is good and have changed driven gear and adapter driven gear goes into and have switched heads what is left to try to stop the speedo needle from excessive bouncing..?????

80TA,pontiac 400,edelbrock carb,accel wires,dual exhaust,dynomax mufflers,no cats,3.42 gears.CE subframe connectors to be installed.On order B&M quicksilver,Polygraphite bodymounts.

1900 ft altitude.

80TAWS6,400,edelbrock 750 carb/performer rpm intake/crane cam and lifters,/magnum 1.52 rocker arms/comp pushrods/arp rocker studs,cloyes double roller,crower valve springs,ias shocks,msdl wires,dual exhaust,flo pro mufflers mufflers,turbo 400, 2400 nitrous holeshot,3.42 strange gears.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Come on guys..I know I ask a zillion questions on the board but does your 85mph speedo jump around a bit or is it smooth as silk up and down.I am trying to figure out if my second speedo head is also defective or worn out or what is the deal.With a new speedo cable and new driven gear not much else to check.

1900 ft altitude.

Old 06-23-2003, 10:05 PM

Before switching to autometer gauges, my speedo used to run pretty smooth. I never noticed any major bouncing. It did bounce a little but not enough for me to really notice it every time I was driving. (After a while I guess I just got used to it.) Currently my new speedo bounces pretty bad up to about 30 mph, then it smooths out. I'm not sure if it is because I havent had time to pull my new speedo cable and lube it or because it is an aftermarket speedo. I'll be changing my rear gears soon, so I'll probably just wait to find the problem after the gear change.

As for what else is left to check on your car i'm not sure. But hopefully someone else will answer the question and possibly help me too, when I begin to troubleshoot my speedo bouncing.

Old 06-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did you gease up the new cable before you put it in? If you didn't that is a big possibility. I have new Autometer gauges as well as a new cable. When I first installed the cable, even though it was new, I pulled out the center part from the outer sheath and was surprised to see a bit of corrosion ( weird white powdery stuff) on the cable. I greased it up and when I first used it the speedo was smooth. I think I didn't put enough grease as now after 2500 miles, the guage is jumpy. I think I need to pull the center out again, clean it and put some new grease in there.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did grease it up with the supplied lube..I thought it would have been enoungh.I may have the cable binding due to using a longer camaro cable in my car.
The shorter one listed for my firebird didn't seem to
snap in. I did switch from the cruise two cable system to one cable direct no cruise. Like I said I have just tried two speedo heads both from 1980 cars and it seems the same.I will take another look at the cable routing and maybe regrease.Thanks mykee where in Canada are your from..I live in Regina,Sask.

1900 ft altitude.

Old 06-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm in Ottawa, Ontario.

I think the routing of the cable may have something to do with it also. From the gauge, it has to make a shrp bend to reach the hole in the firewall and then bend under the car. I'm going to re-examine mine as well to make sure that the routing isn't an issue.