Old 06-14-2003, 10:13 PM

Hello everyone. I recently installed in my 78 T/A a rebuilt 400 with TH350 as a single unit. My only problem was that the engine hoist would not extend out enough to put the engine in from the front -- the jack would hit the front bumper and it caused some bad gashes before I backed out. I decided to go at it from the side -- and that was hairy also since I nearly tipped the hoist over when the tranny was being guided down into the tunnel. I did succeed.

Now my problem, I need to pull the engine and tranny from another 78 T/A (this is a finished car) and I DO NOT want to gouge the paint anywhere. Should I make an overhead hoist for this or did I miss something going in from the front. The hoist was one of those auto zone specials with the arm out at the 1/2 ton position (fully extended). This will only be my second rebuild so I don't have a lot of experience and I don't need any expensive lessons. Thanks

Old 06-14-2003, 10:13 PM

Hello everyone. I recently installed in my 78 T/A a rebuilt 400 with TH350 as a single unit. My only problem was that the engine hoist would not extend out enough to put the engine in from the front -- the jack would hit the front bumper and it caused some bad gashes before I backed out. I decided to go at it from the side -- and that was hairy also since I nearly tipped the hoist over when the tranny was being guided down into the tunnel. I did succeed.

Now my problem, I need to pull the engine and tranny from another 78 T/A (this is a finished car) and I DO NOT want to gouge the paint anywhere. Should I make an overhead hoist for this or did I miss something going in from the front. The hoist was one of those auto zone specials with the arm out at the 1/2 ton position (fully extended). This will only be my second rebuild so I don't have a lot of experience and I don't need any expensive lessons. Thanks

Old 06-15-2003, 05:16 AM

I took the extra time and removed the front facia. It gave me plenty of clearance both for the cherry picker and the ease of work on the engine.

Old 06-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

An overhead hoist will make it a lot easier. The hoists now adays are too short for long nosed cars. Can you say shadetree??
Putting the tranny in later will make it easier and safer also.

Old 06-15-2003, 06:25 AM

I separated the engine from the tranny. Pulled the motor first, then went in a hand carried out the tranny.........

olds

Old 06-16-2003, 01:36 AM
Senior Chief

I use a chain hoist. Always have. I have a 6X6 oak beam in my shop just for engine pulling. Never like cherry pickers. Too clumsy, and always in the way.

- AX
77 Trans Am Restoration Journal

Old 06-16-2003, 08:20 AM
Senior Chief

Got some square tubing and extended mine, couldn't reach the engine without it.