Old 06-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok posted the big post about my adventures with my 80
ta.
Now couple things left to figure out..neutral safety isn't working..car starts in drive...where is neutral safety switch and what to check???

Also courtesy and dome lights don't turn on when I turn the light switch but they do when I open the door..
also not sure if its related but when I pull out my light switch my clock and tach stop working and not sure about other gauges like oil pressure.I am pretty sure I put that ground from dimmer to dash pod..any ideas on this weird problem.I am pretty sure the courtesy /dome lights did come on before with my old dimmer light switch but changed it due to it not dimming anymore.I got an aftermarket but it seemed to plug in fine and supposedly was made for the car..is something not grounded or something.??
This little stuff is driving me nuts..!!!

80TA,pontiac 400,edelbrock carb,accel wires,dual exhaust,dynomax mufflers,no cats.
CE subframe connectors.

99TAWS6 ..lots of mods.

80TAWS6,400,edelbrock 750 carb/performer rpm intake/crane cam and lifters,/magnum 1.52 rocker arms/comp pushrods/arp rocker studs,cloyes double roller,crower valve springs,ias shocks,msdl wires,dual exhaust,flo pro mufflers mufflers,turbo 400, 2400 nitrous holeshot,3.42 strange gears.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok posted the big post about my adventures with my 80
ta.
Now couple things left to figure out..neutral safety isn't working..car starts in drive...where is neutral safety switch and what to check???

Also courtesy and dome lights don't turn on when I turn the light switch but they do when I open the door..
also not sure if its related but when I pull out my light switch my clock and tach stop working and not sure about other gauges like oil pressure.I am pretty sure I put that ground from dimmer to dash pod..any ideas on this weird problem.I am pretty sure the courtesy /dome lights did come on before with my old dimmer light switch but changed it due to it not dimming anymore.I got an aftermarket but it seemed to plug in fine and supposedly was made for the car..is something not grounded or something.??
This little stuff is driving me nuts..!!!

80TA,pontiac 400,edelbrock carb,accel wires,dual exhaust,dynomax mufflers,no cats.
CE subframe connectors.

99TAWS6 ..lots of mods.

80TAWS6,400,edelbrock 750 carb/performer rpm intake/crane cam and lifters,/magnum 1.52 rocker arms/comp pushrods/arp rocker studs,cloyes double roller,crower valve springs,ias shocks,msdl wires,dual exhaust,flo pro mufflers mufflers,turbo 400, 2400 nitrous holeshot,3.42 strange gears.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Senior Chief

My guess is that something is not grounded. I had the same trouble. There are a ton of ground wires that eventually all connect into one another. If one is not connected, you'll have strange little problems like this. I missed a ground wire, and every time I turned on the wipers, my high beam indicator light would come on and my gauges would all do weird things.

As for the dome light, first try turning you light switch knob all the way to the left. Turn it too far and the light will stay on. Just back it off a little, and there you go. If that's not your problem, then go to the grounds. They should all be black wires, so look around for any cut or unplugged black wires.

- AX
77 Trans Am Restoration Journal

Old 06-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Senior Chief

The neutral switch should be near the bottom of the steering collumn. The problem could be that someone has disconnected the linkage thats moves the collar at the base of the steering wheel. It runs from the linkage on the transmisson up to the steering colunm. the collar turns and moves a rod down to the neutral switch. check to see if the collar moves when you move the shifter.

72 Firebird, sorta green, mostly gray with a red trunk lid.
14.9 95mph in the Quarter mile. Street tires, highway gear open rearend.

Old 06-12-2003, 02:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok had to take it somewhere to figure things out..there was a missing section or something on the circuit board and it was pretty hard to find.So now lights work normally and all that..thank god. it was driving me nuts and worth the 60 bucks to trace it down.
Only thing left to do now electrically is to get passenger power door lock working..put new solenoid in the drivers side today and its great now.
And still have to figure out why my speedo is still jumpy as hell after new greased cable.Looking like its new speedo head or possibly tranny gear stripped.

Also have one more weird electrical thing.When I hit my horn button or my windshield washer fluid it makes a loud snap thru the stereo..any ideas on that..can you add a filter or relay or did the stereo installer guys just hook it up in wrong place or something..thing they got deck power off the fuse box.Its a pretty loud snap noise.

At least now I have working headlights ,windshield pump and wipers,power windows and half my locks,
and all the other litte guage stuff and put in new lighter and new dimmer main light switch.
For a 23 year old car its doing pretty good...
Next week its 3.42 gear time..should be a nice kick in the pants from the factory 3.08s.

CE subframe connectors.

99TAWS6 ..lots of mods.